Thailand - Success Around the World

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Thailand - Success Around the World

Postby Ron » Mon Mar 13, 2000 9:16 pm

At the request of individuals who responded to my general discussion post, I'll tell you about my Thailand trip. OK, so I completed the exercises in Live the Life You Love more than a short while ago. One of the dreams I scribbled on my Wish Deck index cards was to travel to the Orient. That seemed a long way away for someone that had never been out of the United States. No problem, people do it every day, so I could too. Hmmm, what about the money? Task one - Find out how much it would cost. In an information abundant society, that was an easy one to answer and it directed us to Thailand as opposed to other SE Asia countries. It is cheaper to get there, and their economic crisis has made other currencies increase in value relative to their currency. In comparison to other tourist destinations, Thailand is very cheap, but it still cost $$$...no trust fund here. What were we willing to do to fulfill a dream? <ul> [*]Reduced our dining out by about 75% for almost a year.</li> [*]Kept my paid for 1988 pickup instead of buying a newer car. Estimated savings $350 to $400 a month. This paid for most of the trip.</li> [*]Made reservations over the internet which saved about 25% on the hotel rooms. By the way, our most expensive room was a very nice bungalow on the beach for $45 a night.</li> [*]Hoarded all of my vacation days resisting the immediate gratification of "taking the afternoon off" for a year!</li> [*]Research, research, research. Learned all of the things we could about the country before we went, so that we could get the most out of our trip.</li> [/list] Was it worth it? Absolutely!!! What did I learn?? <ul> [*]Persistence pays off.</li> [*]It does start with just a wish.</li> [*]There will be bumps in the road.</li> [*]There are wonderful people all over the world.</li> [*]I should be very grateful for the life I have.</li> [*]There are many great things to see in this world...GO SEE THEM!!...around the world or down the street.</li>[/list] Why Thailand you ask? Here are some of the photos I took on the trip: Thailand Photo Album I'm putting together a webpage on our travel experiences in Thailand. I have a lot of advice that could save some time and trouble for those interested in going. An unexpected development came out of the trip. I sent an email message to friends and family just about every day detailing our travels with a little humor and a small measure of fiction thrown in. I was very surprised just how much everyone enjoyed the emails (even people that we didn't know were asking to see the latest ones). This made me start thinking about the post that I eventually put in the General Discussion forum. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the trip. Thanks, Ron [This message has been edited by Ron (edited March 13, 2000).]
Ron
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Jacque » Tue Mar 14, 2000 9:33 am

Ron, Thank you for the splendid post! Very interesting. I, for one, especially found the enumeration of steps needed to fulfill the dream useful. I know all this stuff in principle, but somehow watching somebody work through it in practice is tremendously helpful. --<A HREF=http://www.eskimo.com/~jacquem>Jacque</A>
Jacque
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Ron » Tue Mar 14, 2000 8:54 pm

Thanks Jacque. I have to admit it really didn't occur to me that I had accomplished anything until everyone started asking about it. I saw it as more of an adventure than accomplishing a major goal even though it was one of the goals in my Wish Deck. Now I am looking at it from a new perspective and have gained some important insights that I would not have otherwise...thanks to all of those that inquired!! I forgot to mention we were there for three weeks. Ron
Ron
New Poster
New Poster

Postby PeterH » Wed Apr 26, 2000 5:13 pm

Inspiring stuff
PeterH
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Success Stories