my first contribution...

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

my first contribution...

Postby kate » Sat May 27, 2000 10:49 am

Hope this post won't be too long.Reading some of the posts on this page I realise that I've achieved a couple of things, too. No one knows how hard it was to start, because they only see the finished result. A couple of years ago I started doing a lot of research for my own pleasure into the life and times of William Shakespeare. Then my husband said, "Why don't you come to my college (he works there, doesn't own it!) and talk to the students about him? So I did, and had a great time. The I decided to be a bit pro-active and hustle for some more work. I was very unsure about this, because I'm not really used to "selling" myself. I approached a few places that cater for adult learners, and talked them into trusting that I could come up with the goods. Since then I've done several short courses, and illustrated talks, and thoroughly loved every minute of it. (Unfortunately I seem to have exhausted the market round here - everyone who goes to these places has heard me do my stuff!) I haven't earned much money - anyway it's all gone back into boooks and paying for pictures to show the classes - but it's taught me a couple of things. First, that you *can* go out and sell yourself. Second, that if you don't tell people what you do, or want to do, then you don't get support. No one beats a path to your door. I used to shut up about the fact that I write, but now I tell people, and I've had some great responses. Now it's the same with Shakespeare. Seems to me it's the same with this site, and the Wishes and Dreams one too. You have to share.
kate
New Poster
New Poster

Postby gail » Sat May 27, 2000 1:27 pm

kate, What about calling your local paper and suggesting your calling as a feature story. Surely you could get some leads, as where to speak next, from responses, letters to the editor, etc. The reason that I suggest this is that I am a freelance writer for our paper and people call in all the time with potential stories. Then, my editor calls me and gives me name and #, I interview and write the story and wah lah, free publicity!! Best of luck to you in your quest!! gail
gail
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Transitionalgirl » Sat May 27, 2000 4:09 pm

Kate didn't mentioned another recent yippie - so I will Image. A screenplay she submitted to a competition recently won an honourable mention and some very kind words from a judge/actress Kate admires. Congrats Kate! ------------------ Julia
Transitionalgirl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby gail » Sat May 27, 2000 8:18 pm

KATE, WOW, WAY TO GO ON THE SCREENWRITING AWARD. THAT'S INSPIRATIONAL STUFF!!!!!! gail
gail
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby kate » Mon May 29, 2000 11:58 am

Thanks for your replies. Gail, that's a brilliant idea - I'll follow it up. Julia - well, you can be my agent when I hit the big time! (You didn't mention what a small competition it was, in case anyone's getting over-excited.) But it was one of the best feelings I've ever had as a writer.
kate
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Success Stories