Baby steps, gaining ground

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Baby steps, gaining ground

Postby DebraG » Mon Jun 19, 2000 9:27 am

Hi all.... JC has encouraged me to post something here about this, so here I am. Recently I took a long, hard look at myself and found that, even though I knew I was on the path I was supposed to be on, I still hadn't gained any ground as to my life's work. It almost seemed as though needlework (I'm a needle artist) kept coming up and I would pooh-pooh the idea, saying "you can't make any money doing that...". But yet the ideas wouldn't go away. So during this long-hard look at myself, I decided to just entertain the notion of doing something with needlework. BAM! The ideas came faster than I could react to them (with oodles of help from the wonderful people on this board, I might add). In the last couple weeks: I've got 2 needlework shops wanting me to teach for them. I've done beginning research on how to get a domain name, and also checked out some info on webhosting... this will enable me to get my presence out on the web, to show my work, put my services for stitching exquisite works for those who might be interested in purchasing a piece, and at some point, offering teaching via the web. I've begun designing some of my own work. I've also put it out there that I would like to travel with this ideal job; be one of those designers who travel to festivals and seminars and speak and teach their techniques. In all this flurry of activity, I think the biggest thing for me is the realization that hey, maybe I could make a living at this! I'm certainly not there yet, but I *am* taking the steps, and for this one, who was frozen in the mud of her own footsteps on her path, this is monumental for me. And I wonder what that Woman's Day article is going to do for this venture as well! Thanks for letting me share... Debra
DebraG
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby JC » Mon Jun 19, 2000 9:39 am

Hip Hip Hooray (I like the sound of Hooooray better although I understnad the general public prefer hurray) Perfect! Lovely! Well done! (Is there someway to do a round of applause, hands clapping with sound? You techno-savvies out there, do tell!) JC PS One other success: you posted here!
JC
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Transitionalgirl » Mon Jun 19, 2000 10:25 am

Way to go Debra - your adventure is a perfect example of the power of this board and the positive energy it provides. I KNOW you can make a living with this - You Gotta Believe! Image ------------------ Julia
Transitionalgirl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby DebraG » Wed Jun 21, 2000 7:31 am

I have finished my first design! My very own!!! If you want to see it, here is a pointer: http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/villa/3688/mydesign.jpg It's simple, yes, but it is a teaching piece. I'll have others to show you, but I had to get this one done. Now I have to chart it (I just worked it up on the fabric without a pattern. Image) Debra
DebraG
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Kat2u » Thu Jun 22, 2000 7:58 am

Absolutely stunning!!!
Kat2u
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Return to Success Stories