Found HOME at last

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Found HOME at last

Postby Violin » Tue Jun 13, 2000 7:00 pm

<TEXT="#000033"> Well I’ve got a whopper of a success! I’ve been contemplating for several days how to post it in a way that conveys an enth of the joy, relief and empowerment I’m experiencing. I finally found my next place. It’s in Prescott, Arizona. I’ve rented an adorable house – it has everything I’ve wanted and way more, including a gas fireplace, red tile roof, drip system in the garden, garage, open floor plan, patios, skylight, master bath…. I’ve never had a house with so many nice features. It even has a guest bedroom and bath on the other side of the house. This was a specific layout I wanted, and didn’t think it existed! The rent is unbelievably cheap compared to what I’m used to. I’m renting while I look at buying. I saw more cute houses that made me drool in Prescott during one afternoon than I’ve seen in years where I am. I’ve had recurring dreams about living in a certain house – and I must’ve seen ten of those houses on one street alone! I am in scanner heaven. I’ve lived in the Northwest all my life and seen much of it. Now I will drive to the Grand Canyon, Mexico, California, Utah, etc. Countless new sights to see in every direction! I can be hiking along Oak Creek in Sedona in an hour. This fall will be divine. This is way more than a house story. In the last few years, I’ve refined my values around possessions, including people in my life, doing what makes me happy instead of what brings worldly success. I’ve come to see the entire earth as my home, and admitted I actually like people (hence the guest room is a big change for me). I’ve realized I am the kind of person who thinks cats are important, and they have detoured me from many binges of morbid introspection with their little hungry meows. I seriously considered living in an RV, and after tons of research concluded it is way more complicated than living in a house. In giving away many of my possessions, it appears I’ve been rewarded with some good house karma in getting one with many physical features I once thought I didn’t deserve. So I am moving to Prescott, AZ. I don’t know a soul there. Well, I know my landlady, and one sweet elderly neighbor. I know that the people next door are expecting a baby, so I bet they are nice folks. I know a realtor in e-mail who has invited me to join the Chamber and meet people. I know there is a big medical center where I’ll volunteer to help and inspire the physically disabled, and university and college classes I’ll take to meet writers. If there isn’t a critique group or a string quartet, I’ll just have to start one. Ditto Success Team. My new city has a Costco; I love these kinds of perks. After all, I need to get a laptop so I can post to you from my sunny patio as the mountain breezes shift through the trees… I don’t have a job, and I’m not even worried about it. Now that is weird! I have some money saved up for this venture, and I’m investing in myself. I will have several profit centers, and finish my novel. I will hike in the sun. Wow! I have a lot to be grateful for. Strange coincidence noted when I was in Prescott last week: It is home to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University http://www.embryriddle.edu/. Do we not have an astronaut-to-be and an Embry on this bbs who have posted to one another? It was sheer desperation in trying to find a place and a new lifestyle that first prompted me to post here. Out of that my local success team was created, and they are wonderful, smart people! Barbara knows what she’s talking about – the resources and knowledge we have together is exponential beyond what we have by ourselves in our little hidey-holes. Thanks for all of your invaluable input as I’ve been in this process. <FONT face="Papyrus" >Violin</FONT>
Violin
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JanetLB » Tue Jun 13, 2000 9:03 pm

CONGRATULATIONS VIOLIN!!!! I grew up in Arizona and absolutely love the state. You have picked a perfect spot: not too big, good weather and still close enough to larger cities (Flag and Phoenix). Hope you are hiking Granite Mountain soon (just be careful in the summer heat)! My best to you, Janet
JanetLB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby KKG » Tue Jun 13, 2000 9:35 pm

Congratulations, Violin. I'm so glad you found your home.
KKG
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Violin » Tue Jun 13, 2000 11:39 pm

<p align="center"><font face="Georgia" color="#800000">Thank you for the kind words.   </font><font face="Georgia" color="#800000">Yippee!!!</font><font face="Georgia" color="#800000"> </font></p> <h1 align="center"><font face="Webdings" color="#006666">E</font></h1>
Violin
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Transitionalgirl » Wed Jun 14, 2000 5:46 am

I wish you much happiness in your new home. Sounds idyllic! Perhaps some of us "Brothers & Sisters in Sher" will make use of that guest room over the years to come. Enjoy, and don't be a stranger. Image ------------------ Julia
Transitionalgirl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Laurie » Wed Jun 14, 2000 9:01 am

Congratulations!!!! Just that website of theirs (under your "yippee") makes them seem ideal!! (Prescott-dwellers, that is)
Laurie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby JC » Wed Jun 14, 2000 9:04 am

Welcome home! May your abode be your shelter for nurture, creation and celebration. I am so pleased and glad for you. Keep playing and the world will be richer by it and I would love to know the continuing saga. Blessings, JC
JC
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Onepower » Wed Jun 14, 2000 4:26 pm

Great Job --Hooray for YOU!! So nice to see you following your heart. Yes all the "new's" in your life: state, city, home, friends, hobbies, excitement! I too clicked on the site below your YIPPEE and read about Prescott Az. It sounds delightful. That beautiful warm sun. A huge pat on your back for you investigating, checking things out, and MOVING forward. When things flow --they flow. Your are a beacon of light and inspiration for us all. Thank you for sharing, and do keep in touch. ------------------ TTFN (Tah Tah For Now)
Onepower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Jun 14, 2000 11:03 pm

Good for you Violin. You're an inspiration to everyone!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Bonny Lass » Thu Jun 15, 2000 2:03 am

Awh, wow! I'm saving the fare to Arizona at this minute! Get that guest bed aired, girl! I'm so happy for you Violin. Are your cats happy about the move? ------------------ luvvies Bonny Lassie [This message has been edited by Bonny Lass (edited June 15, 2000).]
Bonny Lass
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Violin » Fri Jun 16, 2000 1:32 am

Do save up that fare, I'm planning on cooking up a big sher party. Maybe in 2001 when Peter's in the area - don't doubt it!
Violin
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Meerschaum » Fri Jun 16, 2000 10:23 pm

What wonderful news, Violin! (I was thinking of you just tonight as I was travelling several hours across New York state with my two cats). So I am really glad to log on and find your post. When do you move? I have an old friend in Prescott, (I'm pretty sure that's where she lives). She hikes in Sedona. Let me know if you'd like for me to make any sort of inquiries with her... ------------------ ~ * ~
Meerschaum
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Violin » Fri Jun 16, 2000 11:24 pm

You actually travelled with cats? I am in such awe. I think I've figured out how to get mine to AZ on a plane, in the cabin. It's a 2.5 hour flight, and I have a friend who may take up the empty seat the airline is forcing me to buy. Did you relocate? I'd love to hear from your friend. Feel free to send her my e-mail: musicara.hotmail.com
Violin
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Meerschaum » Sun Jun 18, 2000 9:22 pm

Oh yes. (I actually posted a bit on this under your topic "have cats, want to travel" Perhaps in the *deluge* of replies, you missed it?) Anyway, my two girls have made numerous 12-14 hour roadtrips with me. We didn't relocate, per se, but I live in NYC, and also have a home in South Carolina, so we go back and forth a bit. Generally, I think their attitude is: "Why the hell are we going anywhere? We like where we are just fine! Humans are crazy!" I use all sorts of techniques which are intended to make them feel better, and they at least make ME feel better. (Right now my little one is all pooped out from our 7 hour return trip from western New York, and she is sleeping with her head on my left wrist, so I am typing one-handed...) They both have travelled by air, although not at the same time. Each was just a kitten at the time, and didn't complain a bit. Now that they're older, they get much more nervous, and I wonder how they'd do on an airplane. I'm sure I will find out sooner or later. But I do think the cabin is definitely the way to go: temperature and oxygen problems are just too dicey in the cargo hold, in my estimation. I've heard of problems. I have never given them any tranquilizers before, but have gotten some from the vet, just in case. Apparently, they take a few hours to start working, so an advance decision is really necessary. I've imagined that I would probably do it if I take them in an airline cabin, (even though I loathe the idea of drugging them), because I can't imagine anything more stressful than two yowling cats and a hundred angry passengers. I will call my friend. (Now I'm thinking she might live in Scottsdale..is that near?)
Meerschaum
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Violin » Sun Jun 18, 2000 11:22 pm

Oh yes I did get your wonderful post over there...I'd forgotten it was from you. Hearing a current cat story was helpful - there are cats out there traveling the world every day. I keep telling mine we're moving, they just look at me with wonder in their eyes. I hope they don't reward me with lizards in the bed down there. Image It looks like I'll be able to take them in the cabin, separate carriers required. Which means I have to buy an extra seat since each carrier has to be under a seat. At first I was angry at that rip off (after all, I'll be on a plane that's half empty anyway) but it motivated me to ask a close friend to fly with me and use the seat, and she said yes! I may have not have asked her otherwise; the old "if I want it this badly it can't be right" thang.
Violin
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories