inspiring friend

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

inspiring friend

Postby val » Wed Jul 12, 2000 10:41 pm

Well I am new in this kind of forum and I just discovered Barbara Sher. But I have a sad but still success kind of story that I have to get out of my chest so I thought this could be the best place. I lost a friend a few weeks ago Image. I had known him since I was about 15. I didn't see much of him as I have left France 4 years ago, and have been working in various countries since then... But he was just someone very special to me, someone extremely gifted, musician, singer, painter... and extraordinarily respectful, and hopeful! He grew up in a PE teacher family, but sport never was his passion. As he used art to express his emotions, he thought that was what he wanted to do, and so, instead of the scientific carreer that his dad was hoping for him, as he had the skills, he tried to use his gifts in various art training and design jobs. But applying art was not making him happy, his songs and paintings were just a form of expression, some way to show his emotions, not something he could do for a boss or on order... Life was not always easy for my beautiful friend,in addition to the fact that he couldn't find his dream, he also had to assume his homosexuality in the little french town. But he never lost hope! and at one time... a bit by accident, or magic, he realised what he loved doing: he loved being with kids, teaching them... and then here he was nearly 30 training again to be a primary school teacher! He started teaching last september and I believed he enjoyed every minutes of it! And i know he was good at it from seeing all the loving drawings and messages from his pupils at the funerals! He did it and somehow it makes his death slightly easier to swallow... But now he is gone and has taken all his gifts, respect and hope away. Away from my life too I think... I just feel so confused, unsettled and stuck Image. Maybe I was alright when he was still providing these things in my life that I hadn't been able to provide to myself... i am 27; only 27, I can here some of you thinking; but 27 can feel very old when you realised that since the time you were able to make your own choice about life you made the wrong ones, or just didn't make any... I studied in science, as I was able to, and everybody seemed to think it was the best option (why wouldn't have i trusted them?). Now I am a scientist, and researcher, but it just doesn't make any sense to me anymore, my job seem pointless. I have been able to travel thanks to my jobs, but that doesn't seem very important neither now. Anyway that is the success story forum so I stop about me! My friend succeeded!! For a short time only! but hey isn't this much better than not at all!!! and if you could have seen the change in his paintings once he started teaching! they became just so happy, colourful and contagious! Everybody just loved them! as much as he loved his new self and life!
val
New Poster
New Poster

Postby PeterH » Thu Jul 13, 2000 5:08 am

what a beautiful story ------------------ Peter-Melbourne-Australia
PeterH
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Bonny Lass » Thu Jul 13, 2000 5:47 am

Val Thank you for sharing this sad but inspiring story. ------------------ luvvies Bonny Lass
Bonny Lass
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby val » Fri Jul 14, 2000 12:04 am

Thank you! for reading it... It was nice to write it!
val
New Poster
New Poster

Postby xnera » Fri Jul 14, 2000 12:37 pm

Hi Val, Thank you for that lovely story. I wish I knew more people like that. And I can relate to how you feel -- I'm "only 25" and feel like I've wasted so much time already. --xnera
xnera
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby HEIDI » Fri Jul 14, 2000 11:54 pm

dear val, hi there from across the globe. im a new member to, isnt this a fantastic thing! i wish i had known your friend, i use to teach children, horse riding. i too enjoyed every minute. im sorry you feel so out of touch. i dont think it matters how old you are, we all feel lost once in a while, im not helping much am i, anyhow thank you i do hope things look up soon Heidi ------------------ ham [This message has been edited by HEIDI (edited July 15, 2000).]
HEIDI
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Onepower » Sat Jul 15, 2000 9:04 pm

Hello Val: Welcome aboard, so to speak. I looked over the message icons and could not find any appropriate to express the emotion. Thank you for sharing your story about this wonderful inspiring friend. If you would like to "chat" some more, about anything, post on the Wishes and Obstacles forum and we will be there for you. Thank you again
Onepower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Success Stories