On My Way...

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

On My Way...

Postby Transitionalgirl » Wed Mar 22, 2000 8:24 pm

Two significant "successes" for me this week. First, an article I wrote about my recent trials with chronic back pain and my determination to recover was published in an on-line writer's newsletter. This was the latest in a string of published pieces in non-paying markets, which are padding my portfolio but not my wallet. One of my goals is to start making money with my writing so I can someday quit my day job and work from home. This site has been so inspirational to me, and got me thinking about some terrific 60+ women I've met. One of them teaches my fitness class. She's 67, and full of fire and energy. Puts most of us 40-ish types to shame. This lady boogies to the music, has a positive glow about her all the time, and is, of course, in wonderful shape. So tonight after class I approached her, and asked if I could interview her with a mind to sell a profile of her to one of the larger fitness magazines. I think her story will be an inspiration to lots of folks out there. She was thrilled, and agreed to let me draft something up, and take some photos. This sounds so simple and straightforward as I type it in, but taking this one step took tremendous courage for me. I'm pretty outgoing, so it wasn't so much approaching her, but the implications of where this step might lead me scared the hell out of me. Even the tiniest creep out of our comfort zones can be traumatic; it forces you to look at yourself in ways you never did before, seeing yourself as capable of things you only dared dream of in the past. I'll keep you posted. ------------------ Julia
Transitionalgirl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jacque » Thu Mar 23, 2000 11:13 am

Boy, but it feels wonderful to crack that egg-shell and kick it off, doesn't it? I just recently had a similar breakthrough, and the unexpected dividend is how much easier it has made it to confront a number of day-to-day challenges that had been troubling me previously. "Hey, if I can walk up to Mr. X and say hi, what's the big deal about doing Y?" Congratulations, and be assured that as you focus your energies on selling your writing, you <u>will</u> get there. Just keep after it! --<A HREF=http://www.eskimo.com/~jacquem/>Jacque</A>
Jacque
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby starbafish » Thu Mar 23, 2000 5:52 pm

This is so cool....good for you! I don't think what you did is that simple and straightforward...you came up with an idea to get your writing out there and you followed through on the first steps to make it happen. To me, that's big news! Good luck! I'd like to hear more about the project as it develops or when it's done...it sounds really interesting and like a really fun idea. Congratulations!
starbafish
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Transitionalgirl » Thu Mar 23, 2000 7:15 pm

Thanks you guys. This site, all you terrific and talented folks, and of course, Barbara's books and wisdom, are helping me to focus my energies in ways I wasn't able to do alone. ------------------ Julia
Transitionalgirl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby KneeC » Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:05 am

Hi Transitional Girl: YOU GO FOR IT GIRL! Love Always KneeC
KneeC
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Success Stories