Is there success after 40?

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby mgre » Fri Sep 17, 1999 3:55 am

I\'m 53. I\'ve always wanted to write but I get very easily discouraged - my 8th grade teacher used to read my writings as example of how *not* to write. Well, yesterday I learned that an article I wrote is published in a magazine that people pay subscriptions for. Now I\'m a published writer - at last. Another success I can tell you about. I wanted children most of my life. Well, at age 47 (and single) I adopted my first child (she was almost 4) and at age 52 I adopted my second (she was 5). I love them to pieces. ------------------ Martha http://www.greentwigs.com
mgre
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Patty » Sat Oct 02, 1999 6:07 am

Well I turned 40 this summer and things have definately changed for me so far. I made some life altering decisions and although I am secure with my choices and know and have faith that long term I will reap the rewards for my soul.....I still wonder.....I really don't feel 40 though. Actually, I don't even look it, so why should I feel it??? I am looking forward to my new journey, however it is heaven sent to have this forum to communicate with, especially when I feel I need a lifesaver when things start to get a little rocky for me. Can anyone relate to this??? I think we all should be proud of ourselves. And Barbara, you have no IDEA how much you have helped me! Thank you. You are an angel. ------------------
Patty
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Oct 02, 1999 8:19 pm

Irie, thank you for your post. I'm deeply happy that these letters woke you up to that childhood memory and appreciate hearing it. It reminds me of a couple of monster teachers in my past too. And a couple who were wonderful. I wonder if we should open a topic called "The worst and best things a teacher ever did to me." I think a list of horror stories and the damage they did to us might wake teachers up to the power of their actions. And the list of major rescues might do the same. Phoenix, congratulations for answering injustice with creative action! There are a lot of miserable people in this world. Nobody wants to say it, but we all know it's true. But refusing to let them cut you down, and becoming happy and successful is the best revenge. I sense we'll soon be finding your books in the stores! Good luck! mgre, Bravo on getting your article published! Good for you! Encore! And thank you for telling us about your daughters. You sound so happy, they must be terrific kids, and very lucky to have you for a mom. Patty, sounds like you're doing great, and I think everyone can relate to needing a place like this to come to. And I've noticed you give at least as much as you get, so you're a real asset to this community. And I agree that we should all be proud of ourselves. Thanks for reminding us.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby DebraG » Mon Oct 04, 1999 9:04 am

Barbara, THANK YOU SO MUCH for these stories. Please keep them coming (as you see fit). Debra
DebraG
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Oct 04, 1999 9:33 am

This was just e-mailed to me a few days ago. Thought you might enjoy it. I did. Age 8: Looks at herself and sees Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty etc. Age 15: Looks at herself and sees Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty/Cheerleader, or if she is PMSing, sees Fat/Pimples/UGLY. "Mom I can't go to school looking like this!" Age 20: Looks at herself and sees too fat/too thin, too short/too, tall, too, straight/too curly but decides she's going anyway. Age 30: Looks at herself and sees too fat/too thin, too short/too, tall, too, straight/too curly, but decides she doesn't have time to fix it so, she's going anyway. Age 40: Looks at herself and sees too fat/too thin, too short/too,tall, too, straight/too curly and says "at least I'm clean" and goes anyway. Age 50: Looks at herself, says "I am" and goes wherever she wants to. Age 60: Looks at herself and remembers all the people who can't even see themselves in the mirror anymore. Goes out and conquers the world. Age 70: Looks at herself, sees wisdom and laughter, and enjoys life. Age 80: Doesn't bother to look. Just puts on a red hat and goes out to participate in the world. Lisa Lane [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited October 04, 1999).]
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Dec 11, 1999 11:44 am

My PBS special called How to Create Your Second Life After 40 brought in some nice responses that I think will continue to ease your minds: Barbara, I live in St. Louis and just watched your show on KETC this evening. I suppose I don't really have a question but I just wanted to say that it seemed you were reading my mind. I turn 45 this Saturday and 40 scared me to death but 41 was OK and 42 was even better, etc. I have worked in offices all my life and I am finally trying to find work doing something I enjoy. I love animals and I am very good at photography. I also paint some. I am pursuing a job that will allow me to work with animals all day. I am finally getting my photographs organized so that I can put them on a web page. Sometime in the next two years I would like to start a business of my own that I have been dreaming of for years. My point is: 40+ is wonderful and I think it will just get better from here. It was nice to hear all your words of wisdom tonight because these things have been rolling around in my mind so much lately and sometimes its comforting (and encouraging) to hear somebody else say them. When I told my parents that I was going to try to find a job that was animal-related, their first question was "Won't that be a pay-cut?" I'm not going to share my dream with them. Thank you, Barbara, for making me feel that it's OK to do something I love. And for verifying something I already suspected: when you love something, you're brilliant at it.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Sue » Sun Jan 09, 2000 4:05 pm

Barbara, I'm interested in your idea about compiling post-40 success stories for a possible book. Have you, or any of the readers of this section, had any response to that suggestion (posted on Sept. 10, 99)? I'd love to explore compiling and authoring such a collection of "stories." Reading or hearing not just one, but one story after another, of people pursuing what's important and joyful to them is so powerful!
Sue
New User
New User

Postby Marjory » Mon Jan 24, 2000 9:21 am

I am 48 and have just found my calling. Even though I took career tests over and over, Teaching and counseling always came out on top. I am now teaching and watch people, especially women (30+) blossom after 10 weeks. I see their self esteem and confidence soar. And I love encouraging them. I teach at a technical school and it is the first job I have had that I enjoy and love doing. Reading books, (like Barbara's) and not giving up finally came through, though spent years of trying! Don't give up!
Marjory
New User
New User

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Aug 05, 2000 3:22 pm

Have you seen all the fantastic success stories on www.shersuccessteams.com Just get to the home page and click on the "success stories" button. [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited August 05, 2000).]
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories