Busy Brushes

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Busy Brushes

Postby EJoy » Sun Aug 13, 2000 4:04 pm

After all of the inspiration I found on this bulletin board, I had the boost of hope I needed to get started on creating my decorative arts business. I stumbled right out of the gate though, when I researched the cost of displaying my work at the juried art show I most wanted to participate in. So what's my success? This weekend I just received four surprise phone calls from people asking about custom orders. I now have more than enough sales to cover the cost of the show AND the added pleasure of knowing my work is already in demand only a week after I decided to start selling. Thanks to all of you for your help in making this dream a possiblity.
EJoy
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Sharon » Sun Aug 13, 2000 4:11 pm

Congratulations, EJoy!
Sharon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby NancyL » Sun Aug 13, 2000 4:14 pm

EJoy!! Yippee!! Alright!! Yea!! You Go Girl!! Congratulations!! Nancy :-)
NancyL
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby PeterH » Sun Aug 13, 2000 6:14 pm

Fantastic ------------------ Peter-Melbourne-Australia
PeterH
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Arsinoe » Sun Aug 13, 2000 7:49 pm

Wow, Ejoy, that's terrific. Tell us a bit more about your decorative art business. What sorts of things do you do? Where did you learn your skills? What direction to you plan to take this in the future?
Arsinoe
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Confused empty nester » Mon Aug 14, 2000 12:14 am

Hey, EJoy Someone told me that what you give out will come back triple or more. Congratulations! So very happy for you. Go get em. Wishing you the joy of your success. Ms MC
Confused empty nester
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby EJoy » Mon Aug 14, 2000 8:20 am

Thanks for the kind words everybody. It's been great fun to be able to share the excitement! Arsinoe asked for a bit of background about my painting so here goes: I took my first painting class about a year and a half ago. It started out as a diversion, mainly. I had finished my B.Ed. a year before and it had taken me eight months to finally secure a job in the teaching field. I was dealing with a messy break-up and I was living back at home and needed to GET OUT OF THE HOUSE! By this time I was working as a highschool supply teacher (TOUGH job!) and painting helped me to keep my sanity while struggling with my career. It became a huge stress release for me and I would often paint for several hours each night. I started out small, but kept trying new techniques and teaching myself (I could afford brushes or lessons but not both Image ) And I gradually became more ambitious. We don't have a lot of space for knick-knacks so I needed to be more practical about the projects I was doing. I started refinishing old furniture ... that's when people started to take notice. I did some work as gifts for relatives and friends. And they urged me to try and make some money out of this to support my habit Image Once I started toying with the idea of starting to sell my work things seemed to take off without me. Now people are asking for custom orders almost as quickly as I can fill them. Currently I am painting pieces of flagstone as accent pieces for gardens and walkways. They usually have a verse in a decorative script and are set off with lush floral/fruit designs. The response I've gotten is unbelievable! As for the future direction of the business...I will be doing my first art show in the fall. My main goal is just to make a little extra pocket money (I'm starting grad school in September) but this show will also be a real test for my work. If the response is good I will try to do a few more shows in the spring and to continue to fill custom orders. Long term I would like to set up my own home studio, teach a few classes, and publish my designs. My graduate degree is in Library and Information Science and I am hoping to specialize in Children's/Young Adult's services. Most of the jobs I've researched in this area are "3/4 time" so I'm hoping that my painting can help pick up some of the financial slack and let me do the two things I love most for a living. Wow. It was kind of scary to write that out so plainly. I haven't really let on that I am 'serious' about my painting. I have been treating it as a hobby business and any success I've had has been an added plus (that way if I fall flat I can pretend I don't care). Guess I need to stop pretending and really set this thing in motion. Thanks for the interest and support EJoy
EJoy
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Thayer » Mon Aug 14, 2000 8:28 am

Hey, how much do you charge for your flagstones? My husband and I were looking for something just like that for his parents. I'm all excited, but I suppose the shipping and handling might be prohibitive. I wonder how much it would cost to UPS flagstones. You need a website Image In the meantime, given your interest in this board and teaching children, check out the "Teen Success Teams" link over under general interest. If you haven't already. P.S. I'm serious about the flagstones. If you don't want to post details here, e-mail me a price and a little more description. Maybe we can work out the postage thing--unless you live overseas, and then it might just cost more than the flagstones! [This message has been edited by Thayer (edited August 14, 2000).]
Thayer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Success Stories