Fitness 2004 -- May

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Fitness 2004 -- May

Postby cc » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:23 pm

Ever try to start a fitness routine, but find it hard to continue? Use this thread to post your fitness successes -- brag about every baby step you take. We'll cheer you along. Feel free to refer back to the other "Fitness 2004" threads to see what we did earlier in the year.
cc
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby alwen » Sat May 01, 2004 6:50 am

Okay, I'm gonna join. It's not weight loss I need, it's regular exercise. My cholesterol numbers are good, but my blood pressure is right next door to high. Personally I think this is partly "white coat high blood pressure", but the doctor just says "Hmm" when I suggest that. So, I went for a 20-minute walk this morning.
alwen
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby cc » Sat May 01, 2004 9:35 am

Good for you, Alwen. I think you'll find a nice walk helpful in many ways. It's the perfect time for positive thinking, deep breathing, etc. I got to enjoy my (now regular) weekend "garden therapy". It's a great way to strech and move around with lovely results to see when I'm sitting in the living room. The lilies are blooming and the sunflower plants actually look like plants!
cc
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Blocked » Sat May 01, 2004 10:39 pm

I'm so excited to see this thread. I definitely want to join in. It's late though, so no working out today. I don't need to lose weight except get into shape, feel healthy and strong. Really looking forward to this.
Blocked
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun May 02, 2004 11:45 am

Found this website http://tinyurl.com/2kws3 It gives you a baseline on how much water you should be taking in.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Izbit » Mon May 03, 2004 10:58 am

My fitness goal for May is to run at least 31 miles -- one for every day in the month. Although I don't run every day. There's a race in the fall that I'd like to do, and registration opens on June 1. I've told myself I can only register if I've run at least 31 miles in May. This is reasonable, because I'm not likely to be in shape to run a 1/2 marathon in September if I don't start running regularly again. I ran 4 miles on Saturday -- with both my boys in the jog stroller -- and am still a bit sore from it. But I hit the gym at lunch and did 3 miles on the treadmill. So, I've already run more in May than I did in all of April.
Izbit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby das813 » Mon May 03, 2004 2:23 pm

Hi Guys! The inclement weather has gotten me back to the gym where I walked around the track for a mile and did a very sweaty 35 minutes on the treadmill. They say that walking on the street is better for you but I really sweat up a storm on the treadmill and barely break a sweat when I'm walking around the neighborhood. any opinions?
das813
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat May 08, 2004 11:41 am

Hey, take a look at this free site http://147.208.9.133
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby alwen » Sat May 08, 2004 3:27 pm

I've been able to keep up the morning walks most mornings. Now I am trying to work in "50 paces running" in between bouts of walking. I also used to do a routine of sit-ups, crunches, side-bends, and stretches that I want to get back to.
alwen
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon May 10, 2004 4:27 am

I think I'm the world's worst for giving up excercise bouts. Today I decided that I'm going to spend extra time on housework - all that stretching and bending. But one of the ideas on this thread was interesting - running 1 mile daily = 31 miles in May. Even though I walk everywhere (failed over 10 driving tests!) I usually walk slow so I'm now going to try X minutes daily fast walking. Thanks for starting this thread and giving us the intention and incentive. Urszula
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby cc » Mon May 10, 2004 6:15 am

It’s so nice to see the progress you all are making. Blocked – how’s it going for you? Any baby steps to report? Tituba – thanks for the water link. It’s easy to forget how important water is to our health. The interactive healthy eating index looks good, too. I’ll have to try it. Izbit – how many miles have you logged so far? What a great example you’re setting for your children! das813 – I used treadmills for a few years. It seems that the heat from the motors warmed up the area quickly – of course I was in a small room, not a gym. Treadmills also keep your pace consistent, which may not be the case when you walk outside. Either way, keep up the good work! alwen – have you added in your stretches and crunches? Good idea to add intervals of increased movement (50 paces). urszula Thomas – I find it helpful to think of a fast-paced song while I’m walking. It influences the pace. Some people like to use a walkman and play music designed for that purpose. I’m still walking for 30 minutes each workday and following that with stretches and a bit of strength training. It’s time to re-examine my food intake (Thanks again for the link, Tituba!) and to be more intentional about getting enough sleep. I’ll let you know how it goes. Hey Ginidee! We need another bit of hermit crab wisdom, if you can spare it. Image
cc
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Vict » Mon May 10, 2004 10:04 am

Hi all~ I'm still in the game, I just haven't been on this thread. In fact, I've been over here http://www.barbarasher.com/ubb/Forum27/HTML/000514.html whining and kvetching. Image I found something that may help some of you. It's www.fitday.com I have been logging my food and exercise (much handier than having it in a paper notebook.) One of the best things is you can have all of your logged infor translated into bar charts and pie charts to show your patterns over a week/two weeks/month. There is also an online journal available, I believe. I am plugging along with not a lot of obvious results. I ate something disagreeable Saturday and lost 4 pounds over the weekend that way! Image But! Yesterday I had to take a PC and montior down two flights of staris to my car and was able to do it myself - without injury! Yippee. I really want to be able to wear a bare midriff closing weekend of RenFaire, but that's only three weeks away. Probably won't happen, but you never know. I could get that 'deadline focus' intensity I get with other projects.
Vict
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby GiniDee » Thu May 13, 2004 11:05 am

cc- sorry I've been out of touch - was deathly ill for over a week. Lost 13 pounds that way, but I don't recommend it to anyone. Will try to bring in some hermit crab wisdom when my energy comes back. Just checking in to see how everyone is doing for the moment. Vict, welcome back and THANKS for the site - for my daughter, not me (obviously). She wants to lose some weight, so I e-mailed it over to her. See you in a day or so. Love to all and many cheers from your depleted crabby hermit - GiniDee Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby das813 » Fri May 14, 2004 11:43 am

Hi! Today I walked 2 miles and I'm posting it because I really didn't want to do it,but I forced myself. It's really been a struggle lately but don't want to go backwards! Good luck everyone else!
das813
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Izbit » Fri May 14, 2004 12:30 pm

Thanks for asking, cc. So far, I'm on track. Today is the 14th, and I've run a total of 17 miles so far. Whooo hooo.
Izbit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories