Welcome to the SherBoard (Under Construction)

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Welcome to the SherBoard (Under Construction)

Postby Longstrider » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:15 pm

Why: It is needed. Re:Thread: Barbara's New Rules This post is intended to be a framework for a main topic sticky. Please modify at will. Please be aware that this is not an authorized project. While trying to understand how the board worked I happened across a thread entitled Barbara's New Rules. I figured it would provide some insight on how this all worked so I read on. Until an odd pattern emerged, long times between "bumps" and no links to anything "in progress". So I began this project. Without asking. (oops, no offense intended) I have written this as if I was speaking for the whole board. I am not. However, I am continuing to edit this post. (no bumping, spamming or inflated post counts here) Editing doesn't seem to keep the post active, it only jumps to the top when a new post is written. So I will keep coming back to edit this until told to do otherwise. Who knows? It may help someone. It is helping me all ready. Longstrider __________________________________________________ Welcome to the Barbara Sher Boards. Beyond these threads lies a weaving of individual thinkers and problem solvers that is beyond comprehension. Each of us look forward to understanding you, as you understand yourself, and discovering your, and our, problems and finding solutions for us all. The compendium of information contained within is completely search able. Please use this feature to it's full advantage before posting in a specific forum. While the entire site remains open for reading, membership is required, and proper introductions are requested, before posting in specific forums. This is in order for us to better understand the problem(s) you face and the solution(s) you require, as well as how this system is best suited to meet your needs. A "Guest Book" is provided beyond for new member greetings and guest comments. We hope you understand that "The Sher-Boarders" do not live, or work, here and that you allow us the time to wander through and take time to read, review and reflect before responding. This process may have some "quick fixes" but it is really a "Life Change" that takes time. Start Small, Start Now If you haven't done so already, or need to again, please take advantage of Barbara Sher's on line copy of "Wishcraft". Its insight will help you understand how you can discover yourself, and how we are doing the same. You will find information about Barbara at her Resource Board and common solutions within our Frequently Asked Questions. Find insight on how to interact with our thought process by Formating posts or find a vision of Tranquility before beginning a list. We hope you find your time here as rewarding as we do. ____________________________________________________ Rev 1: Links Needs: >>guest book<< 2 threads: New Member Introductions and Guest Comments Wants: Comments and suggestions Rev 2: Trim and Fluff Goals: Simplify and Inform Rev 3: Oops! Problem: I just did it. Solution: I admitted it Goals: Improve Suggestions: Needed This is intended to YOUR welcome to the board not mine. If YOU come together on this WE might create something Barbara will want to use. If all WE do is learn how to work together it is an exercise well worth doing, and doing well.
Last edited by Longstrider on Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:00 pm, edited 42 times in total.
Longstrider
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:40 pm

We already have a sticky thread like this under General and another under Wishes
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Longstrider » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:02 pm

I am aware of those. I was thinking of something like this among the main topics. (right below Barbara's schedule) Perhaps even the first step of a limited access new member learning center Still a learning newcomer here and constantly finding things I should have known before I posted. Seems I have not been alone and I am hopeful (with everyones help) this may ease the path of others. Rev 1 notes: Inserted some links including those mentioned (Thanks Tituba) Should this process progress elsewhere I will gladly dress myself in full regalia and humble myself prostrate before the greater good Needed a place to drop a link I need really bad depression
Last edited by Longstrider on Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Longstrider
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Guest Book: Header (proposed)

Postby Longstrider » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:53 pm

Guest Book Header (proposed) Thank you for reading your way here. >>A warm welcome from Barbara would go nicely here<< The tale of this board is an open book spread before you. It chronicles a journey of a lone woman's desire to help herself and others. The simple way Barbara Sher expresses hard facts and Small Steps has drawn people together in numbers she, along with all of us on the same path, never imagined and still have a hard time believing. Yet here it is, a feast of truth, a buffet of solutions, a table of trouble and a pot of possibilities all cared for by individual volunteers who love what they are doing. >>This section is offered only due to mention in Barbara's New Rules It was with many regrets that the decision to place posting restrictions on guests and new members was made. While every attempt has been made to make you feel welcome the simple fact we have enacted restrictions tarnishes one of the basic truths of this board. We are glad you found us and place a great value in your input. >> If you would be so kind as to say hello and give us an idea of how you found yourself here. (Poll?) "What brought you here?" Books: PBS: Friend: Links: Did you find what you where looking for?
Last edited by Longstrider on Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Longstrider
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Guest Book; New Members

Postby Longstrider » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:23 pm

Thank you for taking a "Small Step"<link> towards a new life you can love. This step is to introduce ourselves to each other and interact a bit so we can be your guide as you embark on the "Next Step"<link> and set sail upon the expanse that is the SherBoards. As a newly registered member you should find 3 forums you can post in: Guest Book * New Member Introductions * A Small Step<links> If you would be so kind as begin a post in (NMI) with something like: Hi, I'm... I saw/read/heard... I've tried search and just reading everything and i still can't... Or just wing it You might even express a brief "Vision of Yourself". Real names are not required, or advised. (anybody know the book,page link off hand?) Congratulations, that was a step. Now sit back and take a deep breath. You can't read all the threads right now. You are gonna need supplies. (You're on your own with the juice and rice cakes) Right about here I should remind you that as soon as it is humanly possible someone will respond to your first post. Nobody has to (We are 100% volunteer here),but somebody will...eventually. It will seem like forever if you just sit there and wait so I've got a few topics to recommend; Suggested first readings include: Barbara's New Rules Not just a bunch of rules it is more about how the SherBoard process works, it also shows how we where the ones honored to welcome you here. Another Favorite is The $100.00 Hour This weeks "Hot Thread" has been Keeping my fingers crossed for those in Katrina's path... in General Discussion This months Magic Merk Moment: Shrinking Links can not be mentioned without a shameless plug of our webmasters favorite: Have you read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)? Don't forget to practice with that search feature up there at the top of every page, get to know it well, you are gonna need it! So, hows your first thread doing? Have we all made a small step? Are you about ready to set sail on the big board? Check out how others weathered their entry in "Shiver me Timbers"<link> Don't Panic, it's just a step, and you are not alone. Remember where Formating Posts was? You could go back to the welcome page and find the link there...search,search Or you could just check out what the master mentor has found to put in: "Barbara's Brainstorms"<link> Ok, deep breath again. Remember what you've learned and post a question in "A Small Step"
Longstrider
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:47 am

The threads that are sticky in Wishes & General were sent to Barbara offline. She edited them to reflect what she wanted to say to the members of the board. They went back and forth to Barbara to edit probably six times before being approved. Then sent to Merk who posted them. I do understand your intent of wanting to help newbies to the board. The thread for "Barbara's Rules" is still in editing stage by Barbara and she hasn't posted it as yet. In the meantime, we keep bumping the "Barbaras New Rules" thread to keep people aware. You do need to run these kinds of threads through Barbara as it appears you are speaking for her. As Barbara is writing a book right now, I doubt she'll get to this for a good long time.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Needs and Links