When in doubt, do anything?

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

When in doubt, do anything?

Postby good changes » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:48 pm

Has anyone taken the approach, when you're not sure what direction to go in, that you should just do something, anything, new or different? (Things that might interest you, but not necessarily lead somewhere defined.) I'm wondering if this can help to clarify goals.
good changes
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby moviegal » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:29 pm

Absolutely. I got into the movie business because of another interest that I had. At the time I would have never dreamed where it would lead me, but here I am developing my first film. You just never know where an interest will take you. Life can be full of surprises.
My dream in progress is located at http://www.shoomzone.com
moviegal
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby ScootermanII » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:04 am

Your post reminded me of "a corollary" I came up with about 30 years ago. At the time I was in a carpool that drove to work each day. There was always debate about which way to go, especially if there was a bad traffic jam. I was the kind of guy who would abandon the regular route if it looked like we were getting no where, fast. I often would get criticism from my fellow carpool members if I was driving and took that approach. Somehow I came up with an answer to defend my approach of taking back streets, "going around Robin's Red Barn" and told my fellow carpool members, "The appearance of motion is better than no motion at all!" I came to call it "Stan's corollary." The can change the word "motion" to most any other word and the statement still rings true and/or makes sense. I had a bad manager once but at least he held meetings so people could discuss their issues prompting my observation, "The appearance of management is better than no management at all." My previous manager NEVER held meetings. Then there is the subject of finances. Maybe your wallet is empty, but you do have some credit cards that aren't yet maxed out. The corollary for that is, "The appearance of money is better than no money at all." As to your question that started my reply, I would only say, "The appearance of going in ANY direction is better than not going in any directions at all." Sitting still usually means nothing is going to change. Doing something, even if it's the wrong thing, gives you more information! Good luck to you and sorry for being long winded. Stan
Very little is truly impossible in this day and age as long as you have the right resources available, the time to get the task done and have some creativity.
ScootermanII
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:56 am

I like your corollary, Stan. I know I've heard on the radio that people say they would rather drive out of their way in order to keep moving, than to sit in a parking lot of traffic. Even if it's only a 20 minute wait at a crawl versus a 30 minute drive in motion. Sometimes I'll just take a different route for the heck of it. We get so ingrained in our routes. Beyond traffic, it's an overall psychologically pleasing concept :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:02 am

I know I've heard on the radio that people say they would rather drive out of their way in order to keep moving, than to sit in a parking lot of traffic. Even if it's only a 20 minute wait at a crawl versus a 30 minute drive in motion.
Oh God, I've done that. Was stuck in traffic on the South Shore and took another route to get to the North Shore. Circled around and it took me an hour out of the way but at least I was moving. Interestingly, that was back when I was doing time in cubicle land. Since I've been self-employed, I just wait out the traffic jam.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:20 am

I recently heard a speaker using something similar to “Stan’s Corollary”. The problem that came to mind is that sometimes a bad move is worse than no move at all. Being committed to a bad move, takes you out of the running for good moves that come up in the time you are devoted to the bad move. For instance if you are in a bad relationship and hang in there, you are making yourself unavailable to other relationships that are available.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:36 am

When people are trying to help themselves, obviously staying in a bad relationship isn't doing much to help. You're doing something if you pick your nose, but that's not what people are usually talking about. Here's what self-help authors are talking about when they refer to "doing anything." From "Feeling Good" by Dr. Burns: "In my practice I find the great majority of the depressed patients referred to me improve substantially if they try to help themselves. Sometimes it hardly seems to matter what you do as long as you do something with the attitude of self-help. I know of two presumably "hopeless" cases who were helped enomormously simply by putting a mark on a piece of paper... "Any yet many depressed individuals will go through a phase in which they stubbornly refuse to do anything to help themselves. The moment this crucial motivational problem has been solved, the depression typically begins to diminish." PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:27 pm

"Any yet many depressed individuals will go through a phase in which they stubbornly refuse to do anything to help themselves. The moment this crucial motivational problem has been solved, the depression typically begins to diminish."
This is so true. We've seen in with some of the posts on this board. These same people got downright angry and hostile when others suggested ways that might help them get from point A to B. As AVATC posted somewhere, attitude is everything. What you focus upon expands. I'm not really a fan of Dr. Phil, but he said "there is no reality, only perception."
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tricia56 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:56 pm

Reminds me of the Starting Over house (A reality show) sometimes just a very small change - can lead you to many more changes - some of the woman on the show change quickly - others can only make 1 simple change and that can take weeks to acheive. But obviously going on a TV show is probably the last place someone would look to begin making a change - so even the littlest changes do cause the women to have their lives change.
My Blog is: http://www.Tricialovesbooks.blogspot.com Let go of the belief that the past could have been any different.
Tricia56
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:37 pm

Tituba wrote:We've seen in with some of the posts on this board.
I second that momentum. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby good changes » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:32 pm

Thanks, all, for your posts. It seems like a good thing to do. I tend to get bogged down in unsatisfying work situations and want to solve them before doing anything else. But that means putting the rest of my life on hold so it bottlenecks everything.
good changes
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby jcjm » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:29 am

I agree that continually taking action is important. However, that doesn’t mean that running around like a chicken with its head cut off is going to be as productive as taking steps in a well thought out plan. It is my impression that not having a plan is more of a problem than taking action. So I would say that the first action to take if you are stagnant, is to make a plan, not just do some useless random act. You can use Barbara's backword flowchart from Wishcraft, if you don't know how to make a plan.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby good changes » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:24 am

The issue is that sometimes people don't know what they want. Making a plan is only good if you know where you want to go.
good changes
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:47 am

Good Changes: As you know, but some people may have forgotten, there's something called brain storming. "Doing anything" is like brain storming. You can always tighten up your focus later on. PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Reply

Postby moviegal » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:00 am

paralegalgirl wrote: As you know, but some people may have forgotten, there's something called brain storming. "Doing anything" is like brain storming. You can always tighten up your focus later on.
I agree. Sometimes you just need to take the time to explore what's out there and try new things. Take classes, attend events, read books, travel to new places, meet new people, and so on. By taking the time to see what is out there you can see what interests you and eventually find your focus. Besides, if you're a scanner you'll have a lot of fun exploring and trying new things. :)
My dream in progress is located at http://www.shoomzone.com
moviegal
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions