Is yr boss a corporate psychopath, bully and exploiter?

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

No advise, please!

Postby webbdee » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:34 pm

This is the next to the last day of this #@!!! job. I have worked here since January. I have felt that at least my head has been above water, even when the demand of it was really hard. I do a good job, it is a call center, because, even if you do not recognize it from my posts, I like people and I enjoy helping them. So anyway, I went from one account to the other and ended up in an account I hated. My work was satisfactory so I went to another account. They ended up with a contract dispute so my hours have decrease little by little. So I got 8 hours of work last week. :oops: :oops: :oops: Five discussions with an overwhelmed supervisor has produced promise after promise and no remedy. So, after lots of prayer and one frightening day of the newspaper, going through the mall looking for Christmas clerking work, I was amazed to be hired by the first place I applied. :o Sounds good. Could be worse! But I am so sad. The learning curve means (once again) setting my writing aside. I will not be able to work the way I NEED TO WORK. That is two days in a row off so I can get to flow and work from the better part of me. :cry: I do not think I took up writing carelessly. I am just so disappointed. Now I need to concentrate on what else I can give up. Cable, car, (already lost car insurance) eating, Christmas, Thanksgiving. In the mean time, the young people on this job stick up for each other, play all day at work, live with 3-4 other roommates (I can not have roommates.) I came to college so I could finally have a part of the American dream. I have worked so hard I lost my health. I wrote even when I was very ill. I had the faith that any skills I needed would show up when I needed it, etc, etc. I hate corporations! They make it impossible for single parents to survive! I know some of you will line up to criticize me. NO THANKS. I DO NOT NEED THAT RIGHT NOW! OK, I am out of here, so I can decide which bill to deal with first. :cry: Dee
webbdee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Uyanga » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:14 pm

My immediate supervisor is like Dream Boss from Heaven, but our company sucks. Mind Game Central, man. And they pay about $2.00/hour less than other firms, in the same field, so why don't we all quit? They tend to blackball people, that's why. I also think the developmental-disabilities industry exploits the caring, attached nature of the people who are intrinsically attracted to it. (I just couldn't leave "my" clients now, turnover's been so high, there's this program and that program and the other five programs that need to be implemented, and I just know it wouldn't get done, and ... ) And for my part, I'm just afraid to leave and try something else right now.
Uyanga
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Corporations, gotta love them!

Postby webbdee » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:33 am

Well, :cry: I start the new job Monday! They started trying to kiss my _ _ _ when I gave notice at CP, my old job. But it is too late. I did take a leave of absence so I can check the other job out \"emotionally\". It will give me a little power to be cross-trained. But really, isn't their sign of concern not only late but just like the cycle of battering in an abusive relationship? It feels like it to me. Anyway, I am trying to except the fact that I am taking a step back, away from my dream. It will need to be shelved or I will be right back at my workaholism. I have had to work more and more at not self medicating with busyness lately. Not sure what all that is about, except I am angry about not being to outwit the economy, and how it is keeping me from finishing my book. dani, Thanks for your encouragement. :) As you can see, standing up for myself, which I have done, has had the price of giving up my writing, and therefore, my dream. Dee, you can always start by writing for my web site! I have been struggling with the chapter that includes corporations, politics, addictive personalities, conditioning, etc, for a LONG time. Honestly, I think your writing is great :!: I have made my bed (stood up for what is right) so now I must lay in it. :twisted: So I'll just change the subject and go on to my next question: If you make a statement and say something about capitalism, can't the word corporation almost always be substituted? For example. If I say,
Capitalism requites layer after layer of unproductive employees and managers to deal with reluctant, uninspired workers; public relations to deal with a bad-tempered public; lawyers to help sidestep laws; sales-persons and advertising firms to make profits from surplus production and police to guard everyone from the violence it inspires.
couldn't the word corporations fit just as well. I know how someone else might not think it is a big deal but I believe they are interchangeable. Somehow I missed this observation when I wrote my paper for political sociology class. Dee
We come here to learn what we must teach. "In times of change, the learners will inherit the Earth while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer
webbdee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

addiction!

Postby webbdee » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:42 am

This AM I realize that I did a pretty good job in my recovery from abusive corporations. :D Instead of two years, I took less that six weeks to listen to my gut reaction to what I was \"expected\" to survive to stay in my job and actually left. This is better, much better! I had someone tell me once to add anything into her life, she had to accept losing something else. :cry: I am not real happy because what I will lose by going to the new job is my dream, at least for a while. I will need to shelve it, but I did gain some empowerment. The conditioning I have been concentrating on and trying to overcome is: Being an extremely loyal employee, even in the face of evidence that the loyalty is undeserved. I see this over and over in women who work for and perpetuate sick organizations. They are so conditioned to believe they are a second class citizen, they are not able to see the forest for the trees! It is useless to even try to talk to them about this. It is like trying to discuss the condition of the US with a republican; they do not get it. They are like the bumper-sticker, America, Love It or Leave It, only they put the company name in for America. They proudly announce, \"That is the way it has always been done!\", when an unjust or dumb practice is pointed out to them. :roll: Walking the walk is much harder than talking the talk! Dee
We come here to learn what we must teach. "In times of change, the learners will inherit the Earth while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer
webbdee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Accountability for corporations

Postby Dee46551 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:02 am

Dee46551
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Denial of workplace abuse - check this long list

Postby Dee46551 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:05 am

Combined this post with an earlier one.
Last edited by Dee46551 on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dee46551
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:40 am

Is yr boss a corporate psychopath, bully and exploiter?
That would be a big fat YES. Since my boss is me. :lol:
Sailor Kenshin
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Book of Corporate Life + Teaching Business Ethics

Postby Dee46551 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:02 pm

Ha! Thanks for the sense of humour in an otherwise very serious context. Thought I'd show you I also have a quirky sense of humour too!! Hope you like this ... THE BOOK OF CORPORATE LIFE. CHAPTER 1, VERSES 1-15 Today's reading is from the Book of Corporate Life. Chapter 1, verses 1-15: In the beginning was the Plan. And then came the Assumptions. And the Assumptions were without form. And the Plan was without Substance. And darkness was upon the face of the Workers. And the Workers spoke among themselves saying, \"It is a crock of s*** and it stinks.\" And the Workers went unto their Supervisors and said, \"It is a crock of dung and we cannot live with the smell.\" And the Supervisors went unto their Managers saying, \"It is a container of organic waste, and it is very strong, such that none may abide by it.\" And the Managers went unto their Directors, saying, \"It is a vessel of fertilizer, and none may abide its strength.\" And the Directors spoke among themselves, saying to one another, \"It contains that which aids plant growth, and it is very strong.\" And the Directors went to the Vice Presidents, saying unto them, \"It promotes growth, and it is very powerful.\" And the Vice Presidents went to the President, saying unto him, \"It has very powerful effects.\" And the President looked upon the Plan and saw that it was good. And the Plan became Policy. And that is how s*** happens :) Teaching Business Ethics By Jessie Mai In the wake of the corporate debacles of Enron, WorldCom, Arthur Andersen and numerous others, the business world has scrambled to find and remedy the seemingly systemic problems underlying these events. What was so critical about these cases was that the parties involved were all business leaders of high rank who, despite their experience and education, knowingly made unethical decisions. Responding to these events, business educators began to re-evaluate and re-prioritize the role of business ethics in their programs. http://www.celcee.edu/publications/digest/Dig03-08.html
Last edited by Dee46551 on Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dee46551
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:05 am

I remember we used to pass that joke around on photocopied paper before the PC :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Grassroots lobbying info on BullyBusters website.

Postby Dee46551 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:45 pm

Ha! I missed that posting Scenario, so how old are you??? I noticed my local TV Channel is offering the program \"THE CORPORATION\" again... maybe one day business and industry will become more ethical. Update ... Dani has posted a new link ... Grassroots lobbying info on BullyBusters website. http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... highlight= Thanks Dani
Dee46551
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:14 am

I was thinking about this more. Actually, it was before e-mail (somewhere around 1994) starting taking off that we still used to still pass jokes like those on photo copy paper. Then, they started circulating via e-mail. Now, of course, we get "jokes" with animation and movies.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Found one!

Postby webbdee » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:19 pm

A magazine called FAST COMPANY posted this web page Iworkwithfools.com. And one other, Neverworkalone.com. Dee
webbdee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tricky Grama » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:04 am

Speaking of internet jokes & the workplace... > These were voted the top ten quotes from the Dilbert¹s > we work for in corporate America, circa 2004: > > > \"As of tomorrow, employees will only be able to access > the building using individual security cards. Pictures > will be taken next Wednesday, and employees will > receive their cards in two weeks.\" (This was the > winning quote from Fred Dales, Microsoft Corp. in > Redmond WA) > > > \"What I need is an exact list of specific unknown > problems we might encounter.\" (Lykes Lines Shipping) > > > \"E-mail is not to be used to pass on information or > data. It should be used only for company business.\" > (Accounting manager, Electric Boat Company) > > > \"This project is so important we can't let things that > are more important interfere with it.\" > (Advertising/Marketing manager, United Parcel Service) > > > \"Doing it right is no excuse for not meeting the > schedule.\" (PlantManager,Delco Corporation) > > > \"No one will believe you solved this problem in one > day! We've been working on it for months. Now go act > busy for a few weeks and I'll let you know when it's > time to tell them.\" (R&D supervisor, Minnesota > Mining and Manufacturing/3M Corp.) > > > Quote from the Boss: \"Teamwork is a lot of people > doing what I say\" (Marketing executive, Citrix > Corporation) > > > My sister passed away and her funeral was scheduled > for Monday. When I told my Boss, he said she died on > purpose so that I would have to miss work on the > busiest day of the year. He then asked if we could > change her burial to Friday. He said, \"That would be > better for me.\" (Shipping executive, FTD Florists) > > > \"We know that communication is a problem, but the > company is not going to discuss it with the > employees.\" (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long > Lines Division) From: StanFlam@aol.com To: royreynolds@charter.net ; inoues001@hawaii.rr.com ; JackGHuppert@aol.com ; HalParry@Prodigy.net ; BOURLANDN@aol.com ; FEEINS@aol.com ; FlamLamb@aol.com ; fschicit@tampabay.rr.com ; wmp8712@msn.com ; Ksquare50@aol.com ; ict_florida@yahoo.com ; SydneyWein@aol.com ; charlie_lyter@hotmail.com ; stanf3@gmail.com ; bob.young5244@gmail.com Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 5:32 PM Subject: Dilbert Awards > Know those of you that have worked in the corporate > world (hi tech) will more than enjoy these \"Dilbert > Quotes\". > > A magazine recently ran a \"Dilbert Quotes\" contest. > They were looking for people to submit quotes from > their real-life Dilbert-type managers. > These were voted the top ten quotes from the Dilbert¹s > we work for in corporate America, circa 2004: > > > \"As of tomorrow, employees will only be able to access > the building using individual security cards. Pictures > will be taken next Wednesday, and employees will > receive their cards in two weeks.\" (This was the > winning quote from Fred Dales, Microsoft Corp. in > Redmond WA) > > > \"What I need is an exact list of specific unknown > problems we might encounter.\" (Lykes Lines Shipping) > > > \"E-mail is not to be used to pass on information or > data. It should be used only for company business.\" > (Accounting manager, Electric Boat Company) > > > \"This project is so important we can't let things that > are more important interfere with it.\" > (Advertising/Marketing manager, United Parcel Service) > > > \"Doing it right is no excuse for not meeting the > schedule.\" (PlantManager,Delco Corporation) > > > \"No one will believe you solved this problem in one > day! We've been working on it for months. Now go act > busy for a few weeks and I'll let you know when it's > time to tell them.\" (R&D supervisor, Minnesota > Mining and Manufacturing/3M Corp.) > > > Quote from the Boss: \"Teamwork is a lot of people > doing what I say\" (Marketing executive, Citrix > Corporation) > > > My sister passed away and her funeral was scheduled > for Monday. When I told my Boss, he said she died on > purpose so that I would have to miss work on the > busiest day of the year. He then asked if we could > change her burial to Friday. He said, \"That would be > better for me.\" (Shipping executive, FTD Florists) > > > \"We know that communication is a problem, but the > company is not going to discuss it with the > employees.\" (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long > Lines Division)
The meaning of life is inherent in the connectons we make to others through honor and obligation.
Tricky Grama
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:46 am

I got a real one from a job I had. Back in the early 80's we used the Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet to do our number crunching (IBM PC, DOS). We only had two PC's in the entire department, so we'd reserve them via a sign up sheet for one or two hours at a time. Well, people starting typing their memos in Lotus 1-2-3 and, I guess, taking time away from the number crunching. The VP of our department found out about this and declared: "The computer should not be used for word processing!"
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

LOL!

Postby webbdee » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:57 pm

Thanks Scenario Thinker and Tricky Grama, people at work loved these. I guess that laughing sometimes does help. I thought I would share this one: Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 11:46 PM Subject: I Hate My Job!!!! When you have an "I Hate My Job" day, try this. On your way home from work, stop at your pharmacy and go to the thermometer section and purchase a rectal thermometer made by Johnson & Johnson. Be very sure you get this brand. When you get home, lock your doors, draw the curtains and disconnect the phone so you will not be disturbed. Change into very comfortable clothing and sit in your favorite chair. Open the package and remove the thermometer. Now, carefully place it on a table or a surface so that it will not become chipped or broken. Now the interesting part begins. Take out the literature and read it carefully. You will notice that in small print there is a statement, " Every Rectal Thermometer made by Johnson & Johnson is personally tested". Now, close your eyes and repeat out loud five times, "I am so glad I do not work in the Thermometer quality control section at Johnson & Johnson." REMEMBER, THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSE WITH A JOB THAT IS MORE OF A PAIN IN THE ASS THAN YOURS. Dee
webbdee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions