When in doubt, do anything?

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby Jezicka » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:40 am

Doing anything' -- however random-- also has the advantage that it's likely to bring you into contact with different people. A lot of the time the problem we have when we're stuck stems as much from seeing the same people over and over as in doing the same things... If you're around people who haven't ever done something that you'd like to do you're not likely to even find out that it's possible, much less how to go about it. Just putting yourself in the way of meeting someone new means it's that much more likely that you'll find someone who says, instead of, "How on earth would you do that?" "Oh yes, I've done it! Here's what you do..."
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby audreyh1 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:24 pm

Action brings clarity (usually, and to some extent). Audrey
I have uncluttered my life and I now live my dream full-time!
audreyh1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:10 am

You know the saying "actions speak louder than words" - well I a add "inaction also speaks louder than words." I have those periods of great laziness. Drop on the couch, watch mindless TV and do nothing. Oh sure, I could tell myself this is "recharging" and I'm thinking great thoughts. No I'm not. I'm just stalling. In fact, I've noticed that my mind is pretty much shut off then. When do I have "great thoughts and inspiration?" In the middle of doing other things. When I journal during those times, I ask myself what am I getting out of stalling right now. Then I kick myself in the butt and do SOMETHING. Anything positive. Even cleaning the house is something. Then I find myself moving along again.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Moonracer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:29 am

I think there are two different ways to use the "do anything" tactic. One is when you are feeling stalled as Tituba says. Then just getting moving, even if it's not related to your ultimate goals, can be useful as it gets the blood pumping. Plus it allows you to do something constructive and will help prevent you from later beating yourself up about being a slug. The other time I think "do anything" works is when you are paralyzed about what to do next to reach your ultimate goals. I get stuck here all the time. I worry about which step is the right step. You know, should I do this, or should I do that or should I... I can make myself crazy. I do a lot of research and a lot of planning, but I get myself tied in knots over which action steps to take next. It's a those times that I believe that "do anything", just jumping in and choosing any of my options, is necessary. It's scary, but I keep trying to remind myself that even if it turns out to be the wrong choice, at least I will be able to winnow down my long list of options. If you've considered your options and aren't doing anything reckless, then I believe sometimes you do need to just close your eyes and jump. Thanks for posting this question. Once again the Universe has found a way to gently remind me what I need to do.
Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:30 am

I find I get money paralysis. When money is tight and I'm worried about making rent, I go all deer in headlights. When I've got enough in the bank to make this month's bills, I relax and get creative.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby good changes » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:19 pm

My sense is that even small actions could make a difference if they're about adding something positive to your life. Anything that helps to dispel the feeling of being stuck.
good changes
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Previous

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions