VOLUNTARY SIMPLICITY

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

BARB'S BOOK

Postby songpoet » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:22 am

In the spirit of this thread I found Barb's Book; I COULD DO ANYTHING (if I only knew what it was) at a TAG SALE. It was doubly good because the money went to help the family across the street REBUILD their home, after a fire burned it down! Also on a GLOBAL level we might think of "CAREFUL SHOPPING" in regard to "OIL COMPANIES". A message was e-mailed to me to avoid the "MAJOR FUEL COMPANIES" like Exxon, Gulf etc. and by implication, cut back on as much "DRIVING" (GAS usage) as possible. These ridiculous GAS prices will be taking a terrible toll on all of us. It's time to remind the CORPORATIONS who buy their stuff! It was suggested sending the e-mail to 10 people (and they do the same) and 300 million people can be reached in no time.
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:27 am

I'd add - replace your air filter, make sure tires are full and start driving the speed limit. Combine trips and no unnecessary driving. If you own a SUV, trade it in for a smaller car.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:20 am

I couldn't believe all the big SUVs and trucks zooming around me while I ran through town yesterday. They were really pushing their pedals hard. How long is it going to last?
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

TELL ME WHY???

Postby songpoet » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:30 am

Tituba & Scenerio,,,,,,,,,,,Is Comfort ,Outward appearance & keeping up with the Rockefellers that important to these \"SUV\" lovers???? For the life of me I don't get it??? Or is it a question of people throwing in the towel & saying ; \"I MIGHT AS WELL GO IN STYLE\" The Party's Over! :?
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:15 am

I especially don't get it when I see what they paid at the pump! I know a couple of people with no kids that have SUVs. They tell me they feel like masters of the road because they are up high and bigger. I guess it is an ego thing. Personally, I rather have the cash for, oh I don't know, food and shelter - but that's just me.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:16 pm

songpoet wrote:Or is it a question of people throwing in the towel & saying ; "I MIGHT AS WELL GO IN STYLE" The Party's Over! :?
They might be in denial. "If I just keep driving, the gas will keep coming ... ".
Tituba wrote:They tell me they feel like masters of the road because they are up high and bigger.
I can see that. I feel like a midget on the road, because a "regular" car seems like it's becoming the minority. They act like masters of the road, too, "Get outta my way, I'm barreling through!"
Tituba wrote:I guess it is an ego
It is on the North Shore of Chicago. Not only is an SUV ... it's a LEXUS, ACURA, BMW, BENZ, or Range Rover SUV, God forbid if you just have a basic-trimmed Toyota Matrix! (But you CAN get a Toyota Land Cruiser for a cool $55,000++ ) :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Day Owl » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:28 am

Scenario Thinker wrote: They might be in denial. "If I just keep driving, the gas will keep coming ... ".
In the 19th century when the West was being settled, there was a popular belief that settlement and farming would increase the rainfall in dry areas: "Rain follows the plow." Of course, this was a myth. The more things change, the more they stay the same....
Day Owl "Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" -- Abraham Lincoln
Day Owl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jezicka » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:46 am

Day Owl wrote:In the 19th century when the West was being settled, there was a popular belief that settlement and farming would increase the rainfall in dry areas: "Rain follows the plow." Of course, this was a myth. The more things change, the more they stay the same....
Fascinating, Day Owl! That helps me to understand what my ancestors were thinking when they homesteaded a quarter of a section in drought-prone areas, when -- by the time I was a kid-- everyone knew you needed at least a section-- and preferably 4, to survive long-term. When I was researching my father's family in Kansas I looked at the land maps of the area they settled. The whole area had by far the largest population it's ever had in the 1880's. My ancestors got to learn about using up non-renewable resources (which water IS, in much of the West) the hard way. Unfortunately people seem determined to repeat the experience, as the migration to the West now and our using up of the world's oil resources shows...
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

SOLUTIONS!!!

Postby songpoet » Thu May 25, 2006 4:42 pm

This is as good an answer I can think of to combat the thread \"GAS PRICES\". Simplify, Simplify, Simplify BUMP-UP! :D
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby twisterintexas » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:34 am

Day Owl wrote: In the 19th century when the West was being settled, there was a popular belief that settlement and farming would increase the rainfall in dry areas: "Rain follows the plow." Of course, this was a myth. The more things change, the more they stay the same....
I wanted to bump this topic and also to agree with Day Owl. Walter Prescott Webb identified the 98th Meridian where the rainfall drops dramatically, where the land is suitable mostly for grazing, not intensive farming. I live very near that meridian in North Texas, and when driving from Dallas west a bit, you can literally SEE the point where rainfall drops. You go from timbers to grass lands, from larger oaks to low mesquites. I think it's fascinating. Ok, back on topic... I've been reading "The Simple Living Guide" by Janet Luhrs. It's a good book, but what I've noticed from the many real-life stories she pffers is that most people who tell about their simple living conversion had LOTS of capital to readily simplify. They sold profitable businesses or had been successful professional before they decided to fund their new "simple" lifestyles which include lots of travel, expensive cabins in very expensive places, and just a lot of faux simplicity. In the book, Luhrs mentions a man who wanted to sail around the world. He had the means to do it. Now, is that really "voluntary simplicity" or is that just dream fulfillment? I don't think sailing around the world is cheap. But is simplicity all in the eye of the beholder? What is simple to some might not be simple to others. But then, what is the true meaning of the movement, then? That's what I'm trying to understand. What is REAL simplicity to you? Does it involve foreign travel? Wearing Birkenstocks? Having a cabin at the base of a mountain? Or is it less grandiose than that? For me, simplicity pretty much boils down to living within my means, prioritizing what's important to me, and enjoying the moment every time I can. Do you sometimes get discouraged, or even ticked off, at the examples of "simple living" that get paraded around like good examples, when mostly these examples include people who live WAY above the poverty line? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? I hope we'll have some answers, even if they are just "twister, you're full of it!" :D Lately, when I post it seems like no one else wants to comment. I should rename myself "threadkiller." Oh, woe is me!
twisterintexas
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jezicka » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:33 am

twisterintexas wrote:[I hope we'll have some answers, even if they are just "twister, you're full of it!" :D Lately, when I post it seems like no one else wants to comment. I should rename myself "threadkiller." Oh, woe is me!
No, no! That's me! :D Honestly, if I don't get immediate and enthusiastic feedback from absolutely everyone I'm prone to feeling this way... No one likes me! They see my name and run away! I'd be very envious of people who can maintain their confidence in the face of apparent indifference from everyone else-- except I don't know any of 'em! :wink: To your question... Well, simplicity to me means a number of things. Being willing to make the trade off of time vs. money in favor of time is one of them. Obviously a lot of people in the world don't really have this choice-- if you're illiterate and without resources your focus has to be on survival, so for that definition I agree, proponents are speaking to a small percentage of the world's population. On the other hand, it's still a much larger number than most of us realize. I've made this trade off several times, myself-- and lived for many years, quite happily on probably about a quarter of the US poverty line. Another thing simplicity means to me is not being owned by my things. In order to live that simple life of travel I got rid of about everything that wouldn't fit in a backpack. It was the most wonderful feeling of freedom I've ever had. A few years ago, having once again accumulated way too much I started getting rid of my 'ownership' commitments again. I've still got an apartment with too much stuff, but I'm working on it! I agree, though, the "give up that morning latte at Starbucks," or "cut back your cable subscription to basic service" admonitions, while very valuable for those who imagine these things to be necessities, are pretty irritating to the rest of us, who neither had nor particularly craved these things to begin with.
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:33 pm

Jezicka wrote:
twisterintexas wrote:[I hope we'll have some answers, even if they are just "twister, you're full of it!" :D Lately, when I post it seems like no one else wants to comment. I should rename myself "threadkiller." Oh, woe is me!
No, no! That's me! :D Honestly, if I don't get immediate and enthusiastic feedback from absolutely everyone I'm prone to feeling this way... No one likes me! They see my name and run away! I'd be very envious of people who can maintain their confidence in the face of apparent indifference from everyone else-- except I don't know any of 'em! :wink:
That's funny, I used to think of myself as "The Post Ender". I guess it's just the nature of the board.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Day Owl » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:26 pm

twisterintexas wrote: Do you sometimes get discouraged, or even ticked off, at the examples of "simple living" that get paraded around like good examples, when mostly these examples include people who live WAY above the poverty line? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?
Twister, you certainly are not making a mountain out of a molehill. I too have that reaction/response all the time. Sometimes I wonder if anyone is left who really knows what simplicity is. Obviously, some of us on this board are included in that shrinking minority. Simplicity with regard to possessions, for me, is owning only what is necessary and/or gives genuine pleasure. Sometimes I think my whole life is a journey toward that end, which I may or may not reach before my own end. :wink: But I keep trying.
Day Owl "Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" -- Abraham Lincoln
Day Owl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby twisterintexas » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:17 am

It looked like for a while, Day Owl was the thread killer for this thread - :D Just joking, of course. I like your idea of simplicity as a journey. You're right - every day you find ways to trim down, do without, and make do with what you have. Just today my son asked me how to make brick. I mentioned the three ingredients - sand, mud, and straw - which we have in our backyard (yes, we have straw, because it hasn't rained here in Texas since the beginning of May). So we made bricks this morning. It was a very, very relaxing experience. They're baking in the sun right now. The Mother Earth News forum has a topic that is similar to the discussion I brought up. It's very interesting to read the perspectives of the \"rich urbanites dropping out\" versus the \"homesteaders.\" Here it is: http://www.motherearthnews.com/forums/t ... IC_ID=3226
twisterintexas
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

ALL IN YOUR HEAD

Postby songpoet » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:00 pm

Twister, Jezicka, Scenerio,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I value everything you folks say,,,,,,,,don't "SELL YOURSELF SHORT"! VOLUNTARY SIMPLICITY is a "Controversial" topic! It pricks people's consciences (like the bogus IRAQ War) and they have to choose a side. It's so much "SAFER" to blend into the woodwork and refuse to take responsibility for our "LIFE CHOICES". It's easier to BLAME ; Proctor & Gamble or Mobil or General Electric. Yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if we'd "ALL" make a combined , concerted effort to reject the options advertised to us, and search for "alternatives", we'd GAIN the very things we "HUNGER" for. We'd bring these SNAKE-OIL SALESMEN to their "knees"! Just imagine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's as simple as a "conscious choice"! CHOOSE WISELY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the EARTH desperately needs us to do so!!
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion