VOLUNTARY SIMPLICITY

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby sybilizedliving » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:26 am

I know what you mean about Janet Lehr's book. It's easy to downsize and simplify if you have a bit of a bank roll. It can be done without the bank roll, but it definitely is harder and requires more creativity; not to mention can be a bit risky. I started to write my definition of simplicity, but find it is escaping me right now-I can't quite put it into words. I have certainly simplified my life over the last 6 years, but at times I am at risk of reversing my gains. I have less money but more time. More life experiences but less belongings. Today would be a good day to do some writing and thinking about my continued simplicity vision.
sybilizedliving
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby twisterintexas » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:10 pm

Just a gentle bump for new posters who might not have seen this great topic.
twisterintexas
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby molajen » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:39 am

Thanks for bumping the topic up, Twister. I had no idea how entrenched the status quo could be until one of my best friends told me she could no longer support me in my discussion of leaving my job (she works at the same place). Finding this thread came along just as I was running the pension numbers and contemplating staying another 5 years. It was a relief to find this little community of like-minded thinkers!
molajen
New User
New User

Postby StoryMing » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:35 am

Yes, Twister, thanks for the \"bump\"! Molajen- ouch! That stinks. Did your friend give any particular reason for her withdrawal of support? Is she just fearful that without a job you might end up starving on the street or something?
StoryMing
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby molajen » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:41 am

She says she has suggested some pragmatic approaches for me that give me some freedom (eg work 18 months, take 6 months off for the the 5 years), and I am clearly not willing to do that, so she can't support me further. At its heart, my scanner lifestyle conflicts with her more traditional approach.
molajen
New User
New User

Postby jcjm » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:33 pm

I have been downsizing for the past 6 months. Decided not to move into a bigger place, so now when something comes in something has to go out. Found it was cheaper to get a laptop and electronic drums than to soundproof a room and fill another up with computers. Since then, there are really very few things I really need or want. Would rather spend the money on vacations than new furniture, but I haven't been able to cut into healthcare costs, which are a large part of my budget now.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Voluntary Simplicity; A KEY TO SURVIVAL

Postby songpoet » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:55 pm

Check the topic in GENERAL DISCUSSION ; \"THYROID CANCER\" for some important Health information i've come across. Voluntary Simplicity may be a fork on the road to better health! We need to listen to our own inner voice & common sense. We need to understand that MEDICINE & DRUGS are \"BIG PROFIT\" Businesses. And sometimes those who take oaths \"DON'T\" have our best interests at heart! We have no idea of the TOXICITY in the Food we eat . Going back to the way your GREAT GREAT Grandma & Grandpa did things might add decades to your life. But as I have stated before; SELF-EDUCATION (checking for yourselves),,,,,,,,,is the critical key. EXAMPLE,,,,,,,,,I gave a BOOK more precious than GOLD to a relative who's falling apart in her late 50's. She gave it back to me without reading it,,,,,,,,,because reading isn't her thing??? Sometimes the ANSWER to our prayers gets tossed away!!!
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

SIMPLIFYING

Postby songpoet » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:15 am

Another interesting website to simplify Life. http://www.felixwong.com/me/simple_living.html
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Day Owl » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:12 pm

Still another, found just now as a link from the one above: http://www.december.com/simple/live/ Thank you, songpoet! You see how one good thing can lead to another good thing--one of the big benefits of being part of a community like this one.
Day Owl "Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" -- Abraham Lincoln
Day Owl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby audreyh1 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:23 am

twisterintexas wrote: But is simplicity all in the eye of the beholder? What is simple to some might not be simple to others. But then, what is the true meaning of the movement, then? That's what I'm trying to understand. What is REAL simplicity to you? Does it involve foreign travel? Wearing Birkenstocks? Having a cabin at the base of a mountain? Or is it less grandiose than that? For me, simplicity pretty much boils down to living within my means, prioritizing what's important to me, and enjoying the moment every time I can.
Good post! I went through considerable effort to downsize - getting rid of a lot of stuff that was not essential or dragged me down. In some ways decluttering is simplifying (I tended to think of it more as streamlining) but the goal was really to release me to live a more nimble, opportunistic and adventurous lifestyle, and that is NOT SIMPLE. I think you are so right - living within one's means, prioritizing what's important (and thus NOT spending money, effort or time on things that are not important or do not enhance one's quality of life or enjoyment) and enjoying every moment one can. These are the essential backbone of a happy and fulfilling life. But is that SIMPLE? Not necesssarily. My goals was to downsize, cut out the clutter, cut out the nonessential stuff in my life so that I could live my dream. But my dream involves a very mobile lifestyle, enjoying wildlife, working on neat projects, exploring, and on top of all of that living a healthy lifestyle. Well my life is NOT SIMPLE. In fact, living in a motorhome is NOT SIMPLE. It's a lot more complicated than living in a house. And traveling is NOT SIMPLE. You can't establish a routine if you are a frequent traveler, and you have to constantly adapt to your new surroundings and opportunities. Even basic things like mail and banking and laundry are way more complicated. But for some (many?) of us, it's the ADVENTURE that is important, that makes life worth living. And IMO, living a healthy life is not really that simple either - it requires a lot of planning and effort, it doesn't come easily. You have to exercise, buy healthy foods, read labels, prepare healthful meals, be careful of what you eat. In this case it would be "simpler" to be a coach potato and eat fast food, but we know that is recipe for a pretty low quality of life. I'm even down to having to snatch "living my dream" on a day to day basis. Our lives have gotten very complicated right now - a very ill MIL plus service issues with the motorhome have us constantly having to juggle things. We can't do any advance planning at all (knowing where you will be even a week from now does simplify things) and we are having to respond to external circumstances rather than proactively choosing our future. That's just the way it is right now, and I've adapted by accepting that if I'm lucky I can make plans/decisions 48 hours in advance, and beyond that I just have to "go with the flow". Once I accepted that - that any future plans of places to go, things to see were tentative at best, and that instead we had to "seize the moment" and squeeze in our little "mini-adventures" in between family obligations or motorhome maintenance - then I was able to actually "enjoy every moment I could". Deciding to not worry about the future (and that fact that I couldn't plan anything) helped a great deal too. In many ways, this opportunistic lifestyle has it's own rewards. There is something about being able to turn on a dime, about being able to squeeze a little fun in here and there, about taking advantage of unexpected opportunities - that excitement really adds to daily life experience once you can get over any anxiety it might cause. What would be "simpler" would be to move into an apartment near my mother in law, focus on helping her and her husband, get rid of the motorhome, and give up on all the neat projects and travel we have been wanting to do. There would be a LOT LESS on my plate. But does that make sense - NO! That would be giving up our dream. Audrey
I have uncluttered my life and I now live my dream full-time!
audreyh1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby audreyh1 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:05 pm

Wow - that was quite a rant! Sorry. Audrey
audreyh1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Serial Diver » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:47 pm

Don't apologize, Audrey. I thought that was a great post!
Serial Diver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby soni » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:11 am

Simple does not equal easy. In fact, simplifying can be far more difficult than exercising exuberant expressions of excess. Or, as Mark Twain once wrote, \"I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.\"
Soni Pitts Personal blog (not always safe for work) http://sonipitts.com/blog
soni
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:27 pm

This thread reminded me of a line in the movie Con Air : \"Irony is a bunch of people on a plane singing a song by a band that died in a plane crash\" or in this case, Irony is a bunch of people talking about simplicity, using a computer
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby audreyh1 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:14 pm

Does using a computer simplify my life? Yes, actually, it really does. Using a computer and a digital camera I no longer have to deal with film - film was a major obstacle/hassle in photography. Using a computer I can plan trips and routes and find business and check out destinations with a minimum of effort. I can't imagine a mobile lifestyle without a computer, the internet, or a cellphone! I'm amazed at the folks who were able to manage living this way 15 years ago - it would have been far more difficult. Not to mention doing all on-line banking! What a great thing! I even pay all taxes electronically. Sure beats going to the post office and doing it certified mail. Electronic filing is great too. If it hadn't been for online weather forecasting today I probably would have driven into some really bad weather. I'm sure glad those weather forecasters have supercomputers to help them out. But, OK, I can see how some folks would feel that computers have made their lives more complex. My career was computer engineer so for me they are just a great tool. Audrey
audreyh1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion