Editing services offered

Moderator: Tituba

Editing services offered

Postby expatana » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:42 pm

Hello all, Barbara has put out a call to editors, proofreaders, page designers, writing coaches, ghostwriters, etc., to post here to offer our services for hire. I specialize in copy editing and proofreading and offer 15+ years of professional experience in journalism and industry. I'd be happy to work with any writer on a current project. Just PM me for details by clicking the "PM" button on the right side of this post under my username. Thank you very much, and all the best on your projects. Ana "expatana"
Last edited by expatana on Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Editing services offered

Postby skannie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi to Barbara’s Writers and Speakers. I’m sure you all got great inspiration from Barbara and each other in North Carolina. Now I’d like to offer Skannie’s Superior Services and Solutions to help you with your wonderful projects :D 8) :D 8) As a freelance editor and proofreader I’ve handled documents with a very wide range of subject matter and various standards of English. Whatever stage your manuscript is at, whether it’s a very rough jotting down of ideas or just needs a final polish, I can work with you to improve it. But that doesn’t mean I’ll disguise your own natural voice, because I’m sensitive to different versions and dialects of English. Then when it’s ready, I can lay it all out nicely as a Word document with text and pictures. I can also set up a website, blog or bulletin board to go with it. If you hate doing research, or just haven’t enough time, you can let me do that for you too. I love it. Podcasts and audio books are other things I can help you with because I worked in radio for a while. I’m a scanner so there are probably a few more things I could do for you too. If you want to contact me, click on the pm button below this post and write me a message, or else look for my email address on my website. ( You have to be logged in to see the pm button. ) Best wishes skannie
Last edited by skannie on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby pattyn » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:08 pm

Thanks, expatana and skannie! I'm going to remind both WriteSpeak clans right now to check in here for information about your services (and any others who might add theirs).
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:02 pm

Thanks to you too Patty! And hi Ana! I can see you're online now. If there are two bunches of WriteSpeak people, I think they'll need more than us two editors. I'm very curious to know what they all want to write and speak about. all the best skannie
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby pattyn » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Yes, more editors. And indexers. And proofreaders. And book cover designers. And web designers. And podcast interviewers and announcers. And publicity wizards. For the WriteSpeak folks and every other writer who visits this forum.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Beth L » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:05 pm

Skannie & Ana, I am part of Barbara's 2nd WriteSpeak group and I am writing a book on how to write your own life stories - and have fun doing it. I am curious about how you charge for your services, i.e., by the hour, by the word, by the job? I assume any work can be done remotely & I am sure I will need help at various points along the way, even if nothing immediately. Please PM me at your convenience. Patty, As always, thanks for your help & encouragement! Beth L.
Last edited by Beth L on Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beth LaMie Personal Historian, Author and Speaker Author of Granny's Guide to Fun & Fabulous Family Stories website: www.bethlamie.com Blog: http://onestoryatatime.blogspot.com/ Twitter: www.twitter.com/bethlamie
Beth L
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:42 pm

Just wanted to point out that maybe you should consider directing people to PM you rather than listing your personal email address. This is a public forum that Google and other search engines display and your personal email will then be available to spammers etc.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Beth L » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the heads up & I revised my message to do so. Beth L
Beth LaMie Personal Historian, Author and Speaker Author of Granny's Guide to Fun & Fabulous Family Stories website: www.bethlamie.com Blog: http://onestoryatatime.blogspot.com/ Twitter: www.twitter.com/bethlamie
Beth L
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby expatana » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi Tituba, How do I revise my posting to take out my email? Thanks, Ana
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:20 pm

You go to your post and click the word Edit
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:42 pm

Tituba wrote:Just wanted to point out that maybe you should consider directing people to PM you rather than listing your personal email address. This is a public forum that Google and other search engines display and your personal email will then be available to spammers etc.
Very good advice Tituba!
Beth L wrote:I am writing a book on how to write your own life stories - and have fun doing it.
That’s a nice subject for a book, Beth. I hope you have fun writing it too. :D What stage are you at with it? And how are you planning to publish it? If you like, you can send me whatever you have so far, and I’ll see what help it may need to get it into shape. Your posts seem to be well enough written, so it might not need any heavy editing. My usual work is sorting out stuff written or translated by non-native speakers, and some of them make a terrible mess of our poor language. Yes, everything can be done at a distance. I don’t usually charge by the hour, although speaking or sound editing jobs would probably have to be done that way. Here in Central Europe there’s a complicated way of calculating a standard page, and each agency has a slightly different method. Then it’s paid for in the local currency, although next year we’re expecting to get the Euro. I discovered that the standard American page is 250 words, and after a bit of conversion and mathematics I’ve decided I could do most editing jobs for between $6 and $18 per 250 words, depending on exactly what needs to be done and how fast. It might go a bit lower for a document that needs only minor corrections, and possibly higher for some kinds of work. I’m equally happy to charge the equivalent rate per word if that suits a customer better. For large or non-standard jobs, a per job rate could be negotiated. I don’t have a minimum charge, but I round page numbers up or down to the nearest half page. I didn’t take note of your email address before you removed it, so I’ll pm you with my contact details. Cheers! skannie
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Beth L » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:20 pm

Skannie, Thanks for the info. At this point, I have just started to rough out my chapter ideas, so it is a bit early for editing. My thought is to send each chapter out to friends who read a lot to get their input, then send a more polished version to be edited. Does that make sense? Beth L
Beth L
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby skannie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:38 pm

Yes, it certainly makes sense to lick it into shape a bit yourself if possible before sending it to an editor. It will make the editor's job easier and save on editing fees. It might also feel more like your own book if you've done more of the work yourself. You're welcome to send the rough chapters to me for a bit of free input if you want. That offer applies to all Barbara's Write Speak people if I'm not too busy, i.e. during the slack periods between the times when everyone wants me to do urgent jobs for them all at once. The joys of freelance life!!
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Beth L » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:44 pm

Hey, Skannie, That is really nice of you! I'd love to take you up on your generous offer, but I promise not to abuse it. Beth
Beth L
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby H. Fred » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:14 pm

Expatana: I just noticed your post. I only read the boards from time to time. Why did Barbara put out the call for writers and editors? Aren't there thousands of them on the boards already? What did I miss? Thanks. HF
H. Fred
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Becoming Writers and Speakers