150 Steps in May

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps in May

Post by Mannix »

Steps for today: 1. Call county parks department and sign up for country line-dancing class. 2. This morning, plan what I'm going to eat for morning snack and lunch. Afternoon, plan afternoon snack and dinner. 3. Work out: walk with husband, yoga. 4. Call personal trainer and postpone session until next week. 5. More itinerary planning for a trip to Chicago. 6. AT homework. 7. Per my other post, drive over to the house I saw last week and note the address. 8. Teach 2 lessons.

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

I knew I`d miss a couple of days on the boards, but my brain feels like it fell out of my head without this practice. So`, back on the bus. 95 Planned leg of trip to Vancouver. Emailed friend. 96 Managing the situation with my professor has eaten up a few days worth of emotional energy. In a really good way, but growth can still be exhausting. 97 Ate at home, mostly. Actually didn`t eat that well at all. Sometimes food is just too much trouble and gross. Sigh. Luckily that`s balanced out by times where food is a wonderful chance to live inside my mouth. 98 posting today counts for a lot. 99 worked in garden pulling weeds and watering and loving it up.

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hey all, Mannix, today I started training with an instructional DVD by a voice coach specializing in heavy metal singing. She is based in New York and I'm planning a short trip there in June; I am going to call tomorrow to see if I can schedule a lesson. I also know of a girl who teaches in my area and have been badgering two of my friends who have her number to give it to me so I can book a lesson. Yeah I heard a lot about the benefits of Alexander technique, not really familiar with the technique itself, though. Is it to prevent repetitive strain injuries? Anyways, nice to hear from someone who has experience with it. Today, my steps were the following: - Started voice training with instructional DVD, as I just said - Badgered some folks to give me the number of a teacher in my area - Went and bought some exercise clothes! - Worked on a new song for my band - Worked a lot on my translations - Scheduled a date with the guy from the bus :wink: - Had an amazing "breakthrough" rehearsal with some guys from my band. Two of the band members couldn't make it tonight. So it was just me and the two guitar players. I thought it would be a really unproductive time. But anyways, a friend of ours had just bought some new recording equipment and wanted to try it out. So he asked if we could jam together and he'd record us so he could practice using his new gear. Well as this guy was fiddling with his equipment, the lead guitar player and I were fooling around with some of the songs we play and trying to do "semi-acoustic" versions of them. And then all of a sudden we came up with a whole new version of one of the covers we play, with a different feel, different guitar riffs, different chord progression, etc. We were absolutely ecstatic about the new version. The second guitar player picked up a bass and joined us, and the guy with the recording equipment also happened to be a drummer, and we just kept playing the new version of the song over and over again and recorded several takes and I can't wait to let the other members hear it. Anyways, just thought I'd share that memorable moment with all of you!

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone, It's an early day for me -- I woke up at 2:45 am! :? Progress from yesterday: 1. Signed up for the line-dancing class! :D 2. Planned what I was going to eat again, but then changed my mind, probably leading to slightly higher calorie consumption. :oops: 3. Went back to the site of that house that interested me, and took down the address. 4. Took a walk through the neighborhood. This was the first time I'd walked around by myself since I was bitten by a pit bull last February. 5. Added the Chicago History Museum to trip itinerary. 6. AT homework. 7. Taught 2 students. Ann Marie, congratulations on keeping up your resolve with your professor. I hope it's getting easier for you. Jane, yeah, the Alexander Technique can prevent repetitive strain injuries. In some cases it can help to reverse them. It can also be used to reduce tension, anxiety and "inner chatter." I don't really consider myself experienced because I still have a ton to learn. (One thing I learned yesterday: When trying to change longstanding habits, beware of backlash! I'd thought I'd found a way to cut out anxiety using the Technique. And guess who's up with an anxiety attack the next evening? Doesn't mean it won't work in the long run, but it's not an overnight cure.) Great job with your jam session! There's nothing like coming up with something beautiful when you least expect it! I'm glad you were able to record it as well. I think I'll post more on today's steps later, when I'm less bleary eyed and hopefully have gotten a little more sleep. -- Mannix

Hpy2bme
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Hpy2bme »

65. AT&T came today and switched my Internet service 66. Been going through my lists and updating my email to the new address. I'm subscribed to a lot of stuff though so it's going to take a bit. 67. Cleaned house before At&t guy came. It's not perfect, but it feels much better. I can think better without so much visible clutter. 68. Did a lot of filing 69. Updated resumes to fit a few jobs and am going to send/deliver on Thursday 70. Been reading Byron Katie's "A Though Names for Joy" and researching "The Work". Interesting concept and possibly a help concerning some issues I have. Mini-list of goals for Thursday 1. Exercise 2. Buy new latch for gate 3. Take resume & application to Borders and ask to speak to manager - apply. 4. Send resume to database analyst position 5. Check Sprint to see if they are hiring - put in resume/application. 6. Make calls to local Chamber of Commerces - ask which have commercial cleaners. 7. Check Lockheed for open positions. 8. Go to at least two mini-strip malls and drop off business cards for cleaning business. 9. WAWF Invoices for client - submit. 10. Go to NE College campus and speak to someone about Adjunct Faculty positions 11. Call Credit Union

tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by tapit »

Just a quick note to thank everyone for their input. Will respond more tomorrow. I still haven't heard back from the newspaper editor, but will send more offers out to all of the locals and see who bites... Went to the new photo club I joined last PM. It's a huge one, but, oddly enough, not intimidating. It turns out that I could, if I wanted to, enter a couple of pix in their June Members show. So, of course, I'm all about getting something together and framed... I got off track because my new doctor ordered at stat CT because he didn't like what he felt in my belly. Had it today and I think everything is dandy. None of the CT folks I know who were scanning me were in the least bit concerned. They even showed me my scan, taking me down through my body like a mole in a hole. It was really cool! But, of course, the waiting around got me off balance. I should get the final word tomorrow...

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, everyone, Oh, my, Tapit, I hope you will get confirmation from the doctor that there's nothing to worry about! Please let us know. And re hearing back from the newspaper editor, at least now you've pushed through the resistance to contacting editors. So even if this one doesn't respond, it should be easier for you to get in touch with others! :) Developments from yesterday: -- Tried an Alexander Technique practice that involves lying in semi-supine position on the floor and thinking about not doing whatever is causing stress in your body. I ended up having another emotional catharsis with lots of crying! I felt better and calmer later. -- Also felt a lot of aches in my body, especially my back and knees. Are these new sensations related to what I'm doing with AT? I'm not sure, but I decided only to do exercise that would help loosen up the aches. So I went for an easy walk instead of the planned high-intensity cardio workout. I do feel better today, so I will continue this process. Might add some low-impact cardio today (after stretching). -- Got a great new idea for a trip from urbanpioneer! You can see it on the thread "Fascination with 1950s Homes/Cars." For today: -- I'm performing at a wedding ceremony gig tonight. This one should be pretty easy. -- Set up Wishcraft flow charts and goal calendars for the goals I discussed with teleconference buddy. -- Take care of miscellaneous but important tasks, like bills and scheduling mammogram. :? -- Postpone trip to the bank until tomorrow morning, when I'll also have my check from today's performance. -- Laundry and kitchen duties. (Do these ever end?) Good day to everyone, -- Mannix

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

OK, gig weirdness has already surfaced. We were just notified that the bride wants to walk back down the aisle to a rock tune. :roll: I'm sorry, but this thing where people hire a string quartet to play rock music/country-western/soundtrack themes at the ceremony seems really cheesy to me. Have the classical/elegant music during the ceremony; save the pop stuff for the cocktail hour or reception! We have had some of the most inappropriate music requested for bridal processionals and recessionals this year. I guess I'm just a purist, or old-school, or both.

Hpy2bme
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Hpy2bme »

71. Attended Network meeting today. Passed out business cards - tried to get some business going. Not much interest except for one guy who wants me to use his direct mail advertising at five cents a pop which equates to $5,000 per mailing. And another guy who wants me to use his cleaning products - again - nothing free and they don't have business for me. :bash: 72. Stopped at strip mall on way home and passed out cards. Not too much interest, but did speak to CPA firm who might need some temp help while his wife is out. 73. Dropped books off at library and picked up books on hold. 74. Submitted application online last night. Took a couple of hours because I would get all my job information in and then it would take too long and log me out. :bash: I finally only gave them four years worth and it accepted that. Was uncomfortable with this one because they specifically asked for a birth date before you can fill out the application. Doesn't that smack of discrimination? I don't think they are allowed to do that are they? It was a big well know national company too. 75. Updated resumes to turn in to two other places today and realized just in time that I forgot to update the new email address on them. I'll do so and go drop them off later. 76. Changed my email address at WAWF and submitted outstanding invoices. 77. Called Chamber of Commerces that I was missing the member directories on and was able to get nothing but voice mails. I'm going to have to email them instead. I have quite of bit of info from the Internet. Those that have members all have other cleaning businesses listed. Mannix - it must be frustrating to get requests that are all over the place and seem bizarre. But I can understand that people want what they want. Tapit - I hope everything turns out okay for you. Hopefully I'll have more steps later today.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, Update on the wedding: It was for a professional football player and his fiancee, and he was the one who requested the rock tune. It was fun to see other familiar football players attending the ceremony. Hpy, you're right, you have to give the people what they want, and they're not my weddings. Just putting in my 2 cents. That online job application does sound strange. I can't think of any good reason why they would want your birth date. May be worth doing some research on the company to see if they've been the target of discrimination lawsuits. Maybe that temporary position will turn into something more long-term. I didn't get to much goalwork today since I spent the morning napping. I did do a short, light workout. Noticed the tension in my lower back returning at the end of the DVD. I'm feeling better now but I think it's from the Aleve I took to get through the gig. I'll do some more back stretches before I get in bed for the night. Hope everyone has a great weekend, -- Mannix

Hpy2bme
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Hpy2bme »

78. Dropped off resume at Borders. Came home and applied online. Mannix, the CPA guy is in a husband and wife office. It's not likely to turn into anything permanent or grow enough. Small mom & pop outfit and I actually don't even have any work yet. I'm going to try to get some more applications in. Online applications are a pain though cause they seem to just disappear into a big black hole. Oh well, Buster's giving me that STARE so I guess it's time to go for a walk.

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hi Hpy2beme I've been following your job search related posts and remember you mentioned you need to find immediate work. Every time I see someone involved in job search activities, I am tempted to preach about the benefits of cold-calling. I know from experience that the few job seekers who dare to use this strategy are miles ahead of the others. You say you feel like your online applications are being sent into a void. You are right. And sending out résumés to secretaries or human resources people is often equivalent to throwing them in the trash. To get the results you want, you need to be more proactive. In the beginning, just about everyone finds cold-calling intimidating. But with practice and preparation, it gradually becomes more natural. A lot of job search clubs give training sessions on the subject. I have developed excellent skills thanks to these and also entrepreneuring courses. As an entrepreneur, I make cold calls to potential clients almost everyday. If you have been having tough luck with your job search, I would strongly recommend you consider giving this approach a try. If you want some pointers, feel free to ask, I would be glad to help. Hmmmm...now as for me, what have I been up to? More translating, went out on another date with the guy from the bus. I don't know yet if it has the potential to develop into something serious, but I am really enjoying our dates. Also wrote an email to a potential music collaborator, who wrote me back... more on that later. Have a great weekend everyone!

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

JaneB, kudos on the jamming session with your band working out so well. And AT is something I've been taking lessons at for two years, almost weekly, I love it! In my mind, it works well to help you become aware of, and change, how you may be overusing parts of the body which may lead to injury. So, with singing, looking at how you hold/move your head, arms, body. It's pretty amazing stuff. My teachers worked with an opera singer who would do scales while on the table, and he swore by it. I know your singing style isn't opera, but same mechanism, no? 100 ate at home today,and most of yesterday. now that hot weather is here, i find i don't want to eat any of the foods i got used to making in the winter. time to make a switch to another style of food. 101 have had a few problems with textbooks for one of my classes and so have had to find the textbooks online for myself. Did that yesterday 102 talked to friend i'm going on trip with and cleared up the beginnings of a misunderstanding. 103 wrote, sealed and mailed a letter to my grandmothre. phew. 104 mailed a postcard to penpal in germany

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Sips are Steps, Too

Post by Lynx »

Greetings, JaneB, great report on your rockin' improvement of a cover song. Those moments give life a lot of verve & zest. And, thanks for the reminder about cold calling. There's a book called Never Eat Alone that shows how a warm those calls up a bit. Hpy & Tapit, persist on. Something must shake out. Mannix, thank your husband for "I''m on vacation" mode. Used this attitude to great benefit during my solo break last week. And about the wedding music choices, weren't Bach and Mozart the "rock stars" of their eras? For me, still sipping on loss and pain and suffering. Partly now is the perfect enough gig failed to pan out. The signs were there not to even bother but I got so excited that they called and I had a good fit that I bit. All I had to do was ask if the prior consultant was applying for this round ... Still, nothings gone to waste as I can cut and paste for the next try somewhere. Playing some this weekend by going to a music concert last night, a party tonite, another party tomorrow, and a film about Patti Smith tomorrow nite. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by tapit »

Hey all- Back on track. The CT turned out to be benign- but I'd still be waiting for the doctor to call if I hadn't talked to the folks in the radiology department who told me that I had the right to come in and get a copy of the reading myself and bring it to any doctor I wanted to. So I did, and found out everything was dandy. I was really irritated that if I hadn't been familiar enough with the system to call, waiting for the "official results" could have wrecked the whole weekend! I've decided to enter 2 photos in the Guild's yearly show next month. Don't know what will happen, but looking at the other work there, I think they'll stand the comparison! Jane- thanks for talking about cold calling. I think that's what I do with my writing queries (though I don't have to show my face). But maybe for these photojournalism jobs, I need to actually talk to the editors of the local papers to get somewhere, including the one on island who hasn't answered me. Is it best to have a script to start with? And I'll get a copy of that book, Lynx. Thanks for mentioning it. Also, please accept my sympathy, Lynx, for this rough time. Makes it tough to pile more loss on top. Today begins another week, but I've got to work the whole weekend, including Monday, in the ER. Am trying to stay balanced at home, though.