150 Steps in May

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps in May

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, everyone, Following my husband's lead, I decided to go into "vacation" mode last night. We went to a late movie and it didn't end until 1:30am! I haven't been out that late in years! Still in vacation mode today. I'm going out to spend the day with my parents. Not sure whether tomorrow will continue as a vacation or do more stuff on the house. I'll decide then. Happy weekend!

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hi Lynx, I also wanted to offer my sympathy for the rough time you've been through. Hang in there and hopefully your weekend distractions will help you unwind. Tapit, to answer your question, yes, it's imperative to be prepared when you make cold calls so that you get the most out of them. Following a call script ensures you will know what to say and reduces some of the anxiety. However, the difficulty lies in being prepared, yet sounding natural! I once was fortunate to speak to a very supportive prospect who actually took the time to give me some tips. He told me I was doing exactly the right thing to find work, but he could tell I was inexperienced and I should try and sound less mechanical. The script and planning has to help you in your efforts, not hinder them. The only advice I can offer on how to achieve this is to practice, practice, practice. The more calls you make, the better you get at it, and the less anxiety-provoking it gets. When I took training courses, we would simulate making calls and the trainer would comment our "performance". Another excellent idea is to start by calling companies who's business is not that important to you, so even if you screw up it doesn't matter that much (oddly enough, one of the very first "unimportant calls" I made gave me a lead to one of my most important clients today!). Feel free to ask more questions if you want.

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

105 goal #3 for me, "manage history prof crush" is complete. I managed it. Now I've decided not to take anymore of his classes so I can date him instead. Now it's manage to not get wrapped up in the fun of a new beginning, and stay focused, also, on my other life aspects. 106 drove home instead of heading to the store, didn't bring anything home 107 called the people who needed called re: portland trip 108 discovered trail that can take me to all the major shopping without having to go on the busiest streets 109 used my bike and walked instead of walking 3 times 110 ate at home and bought groceries to help keep that going 111 oh, haven't studied at all, been busy with DHS. that is so gonna bite me on the ass tuesday morning during the midterm. sigh. It's been interesting to read about the cold calls, and I join everyone in offering their support, Lynx.

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Good for you Ann Marie! Glad you found a way around your history prof dilemma, and good luck with this new beginning. Today I worked, procrastinated, worked, procrastinated, etc. and found some time in between to do some voice training. Now I have to figure out what to do about this strange forty-something man who lives a few apartments away from me. I walk past his place frequently and he often smiles at me in a way I find a bit uncomfortable. He just seems a bit weird, I dunno, gut feeling I guess. Maybe it's because he's often there and it feels like he's watching me or something. Then today I was walking to the grocery store and he passes me on his bike. He sees me, slows down and backs up to talk to me. He asks "you play the saxophone right?" and then he goes on about "I'm a musician too, I play guitar, I have a studio at my place, we should jam sometime for fun and I want you to give me sax lessons, I'll pay you, etc. etc." It just seemed weird and uncomfortable to me. I asked how he knew I played the saxophone and he said his roommate Marie told him about me (have no idea who she is). Anyways I responded something kinda vague like "yeah sure, I'll look into it though I'm pretty busy this summer". The thing is, he lives really close to my place and I see him frequently, so I know he will be asking me about it again periodically. I don't want to be rude, but I believe it's perfectly normal for me to feel uncomfortable entering some strange man's house, especially if he seems weird to me from the get go, and that I should stick to my guns. Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

Hpy2bme
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Hpy2bme »

79. Killed and took huge flying bug that got in last night and has been creeping me out. That sucker was at least 2" long. Hit it once last night and then couldn't find him again. Didn't realize that it flew or doubt that I would have slept at all last night. It's outside now. 80. Put another application in online. 81. Found my drill. 82. Bought a new latch mechanism for my gate and installed it. So much simpler and easier to use than the other one. 83. Stayed home for the weekend - didn't spend any money. 84. Started audio book on NLP - think there's good stuff in this one and will help me with some stuff I'm going through. 85. Worked on getting my cleaning website updated with current email info so I can cancel Internet services through Time Warner. 86. Updated info on other website regarding services and pricing. 87. Walked Buster every night this month. 88. Renewed library books & picked up book on hold. 89. Placed Richest Man in Babylon on hold at library. Jane B. Thanks for the information regarding cold calling. You are right - it really makes a difference to find someone you know to help you get your foot in the door, but it's not always that easy. I do have a contact name for teaching as an adjunct faculty which I will follow up on after the holiday. I tried on Friday but the person I was looking for was out on Friday. I have a few things working against me and need to find ways to overcome. Sorry to hear about the creepy guy who lives near you. I think you should just tell him that you are not interested in giving lessons and leave it at that. If he presses, tell him you have too many other things you are doing. Lynx - sorry to hear about your issues - but glad that your scan was good news. Mannix - good for your husband. Hope you are enjoying your vacation. Anne Marie - I love your avatar - I have to smile every time I see that cat. I thought maybe you had actually gotten over your professor because there was no mention of him in one posting, but I see in your next that you've decided on an alternative approach. Good luck with that.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, Jane B., Just reading your account of that guy sounds creepy. I would say follow your gut on this one, although it seems you are already doing this. As for a way to put him off the jam-session and sax-lesson ideas, maybe you could come up with a polite but firm sentence and keep repeating it whenever he asks you about working with him. For example, "I'm sorry, my summer schedule is full." If you are friends with other neighbors, you might ask them if they know this person, or "Marie." Is it possible to change your routine so you don't have to go by his place as much? Hope this helps, -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Last Week of May

Post by Lynx »

Hi-Steppers, As part of my break last week I took a long look at loss and recovery and transcendence spiritual, emotional, and psychological literature, again. Came away with lots of insights and a new method for myself to sort out the tangle of feelings I experience. For this week, the hardest stuff for me will cranking up to seek gigs. I'm currently out of work (I'm a consultant) and the mutterings about the "weakening" economy bode notsowell for my prospects. To get busy again I'll log onto Indeed.com. I'll also begin steady work on my new, improved web site. Still, while I have the time I want to get to my final papers edited (durable power of attorney (medical and financial), will and advance directive. They've been in limbo draft for too long. I need your support to step up and finish this version. I can always amend them later. Part of my hesitation is that I don't feel "accomplished" or complete. That I have very much to leave, and definitely don't predict any accidents, illnesses or death for a very long time. Another piece is of this is that it is something that adults are expected to do. The draggy side of adulthood. I don't want to have to follow anybody's rules but my own or those I negotiate! I also know physicians routinely ignore advance directives unless you have a strong advocate in the power of attorney person. Yet again, people who have done these things say it feels like a load lifted off of them. I'll let you know. Lynx PS—Just posted a "blog" of my journey through loss at http://www.scribd.com/doc/3107517/LynxBaxground Scribd is easy to join and so far they've kept their promise not to smother me with email. Using Scribd means I won't post this messy stuff here unless absolutely essential to a goal so you can see the context.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

NLP & Steps

Post by Lynx »

Hpy: 84. Started audio book on NLP - think there's good stuff in this one and will help me with some stuff I'm going through. I'm a student of NLP as well. Please share any insights. I have a bunch of tapes I'm ready to pass on, so if you like what you hear, maybe we can arrange a way for me to send them to you. Jane B: Re Creepy Guy. I would suggest saying 'No, not interested" and never offering any explanations. I had a friend in NY (cute friend) who liked to take a break in a bar occasionally. Alone. Any creeps came to chat her up got a quick, "I'm sorry, I'm waiting for my husband." They got the message and split. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiral »

Hi all, Is May over yet? Last Monday, I discovered my diningroom phone jack had died, necessitating a visit from AT&T which will be good for seventy-five bucks on next month's phone bill as I had to have a technician come fix it. :evil: Thursday morning I wake up to Drip Drip Drip. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from until I looked at the ceiling above my shower--saggy dripping plaster due to plumbing problems in my upstairs neighbor's apartment. Water leaked all down the wall inside my closet and onto the rug in there also. Now all the stuff that was in the closet is all over my bedroom floor while the carpet dries out in there. But I guess this is one of the times when you're really glad to have a landlord! Then THEY have to deal with this crap. Anyhow, did belly dance exercises this morning. Laundry is in the dryer Did grocery shopping Emptied trash Went to car wash. Need to do a load of sheets and towels in laundry. Finishing up rewrite of chapter eight. Had a nice evening out with my mom, my dad, my stepmother and my sister on Saturday night. (My sister's birthday is next week.) We then went to a performance of the Brahms Requiem at San Francisco Symphony. Absolutely goreous, throughout. Even my dad, who can be tough on the nineteenth century composers loved it. Michael Tilson Thomas is wonderful to watch when he conducts. He gets very into it. :D Today, must go to Frys to pick up a new flash drive and must replace the power cord of my scanner. Still need to arrange cat vet visits and get the car's oil changed. Jane, Re Creepy guy, I'm with Lynx. Keep it at "not interested." You don't owe him an explanation or a discussion. There's no reason you should get sociable with someone who makes you uncomfortable. If he'd been introduced to you by mutual friends, it might be different. But he sounds like a good candidate for avoidance to me, too. Melissa

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

normal steps

Post by Lynx »

Hi everybody, Thanks for the notes of concern. It's a bit of catchup on my processing of my many losses. I've also remodeled my personality and don't experience any super-highs or crushing lows like I used to. So, though these thing take me down in my underworld, they don't drag me under. Commitments for today and tomorrow:
    Put evaluations from my most recent workshop on the computer. Look at my Power of Attorney (medical and financial) papers Clean my deck/lanai Organize my notes from my retreat. Visit websites of people who do what I do for ideas
And support folks here, thanks for caring. Lynx

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, After giving myself permission to be a total goof-off over the weekend, it was really hard getting back to the routine today. Between weekend episodes of gluttony and sloth, I did manage to put together some Wishcraft flow charts and a goal calendar for the things I want to get done by my next teleconference meeting on June 18. So at least some structure was already in place today. Successes: -- Talked to my Alexander teacher about whether or not I should continue with personal training sessions, given several episodes of aches/pains I've experienced lately. His answer: "Yes!" -- Cooked stuffed peppers between today's violin lessons. -- Practiced some of the music I need to look at for future gigs. -- Cleaned up the kitchen and, yes, did some laundry. Still to do tonight: My new Firm Cardio DVD, which conveniently arrived in the mail this evening. I haven't worked out much this past week, and my butt is gonna get kicked by my trainer tomorrow! Lynx, very wise to work on those final documents before you get busy with your new job(s). I've been procrastinating on that issue myself. Let us know how the process goes, and if you do indeed feel a weight lifted off your shoulders once everything is arranged. Jane, are things going better re your creepy "friend"? Shiral, sorry about your closet flood. No permanent damage to your things, I hope. OK, the workout DVD beckons ...

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hey all! Today was a pretty good day. I decided to walk on the other side of the street to avoid bumping into the creepy guy again. I got some work done, went to the gym for an hour (yay!) and set aside some time to work on singing and songwriting for my band. We have our third show booked on July 25th (yay!) and we need to find another local band to share the bill with us, so I've been researching that a bit as well. Oh and I had a great conversation with my younger brother today on msn. He is sixteen, about to start college, wondering what to do with his life. And so I got into this discussion about how he had to find what he loves and do it even if he doesn't earn a living from it, etc. etc. and I actually think I got through to him. I told him he should read "I Could Do Anything" and he said "yeah that seems exactly like the book I need!" So anyways I'm glad. He seems to be buying into the thinking of my folks which is to find a well paying job and be secure, follow conventional wisdom etc. I managed to break free from that type of thinking and have found it very rewarding, so hopefully I can inspire him to do the same.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, everyone, I fear my body is rebelling. Last night, I got through about half the workout DVD when the minor ache in my right foot became worse, to the point it hurt to put weight on it. That made me very depressed and I went into an episode of emotional bingeing. This morning, I've resolved to start fresh on the food plan, but my foot is still behaving strangely. And now the left foot is in on the act. It's quite odd because I haven't been doing a lot of vigorous workouts lately, and haven't been in any accidents that would have affected my feet. Anyway, I'll call my trainer and ask her advice about continuing today's session. Maybe we can do things that don't focus on the feet. :roll: Jane, congratulations on your great conversation with your brother! I hope he enjoys Barbara's books. I think it's great he's open to her ideas at such a young age. He will have so much more of his life to enjoy! :) From my goal calendar, steps for the rest of this week: -- Pick and follow 1 suggestion from my thread on 1950s homes and cars. -- Read chapters in Organization book on how to get off junk mail lists, how long we should hold onto bank statements, etc. -- Clean out 1 desk drawer currently stuffed with ancient bill and bank statements. Shred papers that don't need to be kept. -- Review the success stories I wrote for tape 2 in "How to Live the Life You Love." -- Check weight for this week. - DONE. -- Talk with Alexander teacher about continuing personal training sessions. - DONE. -- Talk to trainer this morning about foot issues. -- Restart my food planner (planning meals ahead) and workout schedule. - DO-OVER! START TODAY. Have a good day, everybody! -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Dateline Wed 5 28

Post by Lynx »

Just a quick check-in Put evaluations from my most recent workshop on the computer. DONE Look at my Power of Attorney (medical and financial) papers DONE, Plus Living Will, Done Clean my deck/lanai Organize my notes from my retreat. STARTED Visit websites of people who do what I do for ideas LOOKED AT THREE For Today/Tomorrow:
    Deal with Freecycle stuff I've posted Send Evaluations to Group that Hired me Look at more sites and call ISP about website hosting Get details about some professional development opportunities
Mannix, sympathies on your foot/feet pain issues. I stubbed my little toe on my right foot and am laid up for a couple of days to let it heal. Thus no progress on the lanai. JaneB, good conversation with your brother. It's a different world out here in the wild, but I feel I'm more resilient and alert than if I were waiting to start my life after I retired. Concern now: I'll never retire due to lack of funds! L

Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Wolf Goddess »

Hello, everyone: OMG it's almost June. The year is half over. :o I finally managed to find a job counselor who I think will be good. I found an art lawyer to look over the contract an agent sent me. My cholesterol is down, thanks to my pills, but my weight hasn't changed. :( The good news is it hasn't gone up. :) Blood sugar is normal, so the diabetes monster is not on the horizon. I was interviewed on a cultural radio station out of California. From that came a fantastic new online cultural network group. :) and a renewed resolve to continue my mission and update my website. Someone asked me to read their new book and review it. I was honored. I found a great weight loss site. (I think I said this before) It’s called Spark People. I have lots of ideas for income streams and am trying to do them. Not a millionaire yet. Sorry that this is so cryptic. I am on my way out the door so this is really short. WG
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com