Finally got my recumbent trike!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Finally got my recumbent trike!

Post by dani »

I've been posting in D or S and finally realize that getting my wheels qualifies as a success story, so I'm going to put my two posts here, by date.
Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:45 2 I've wanted an adult trike for nearly twenty years, and it looks as if I may be finally able to purchase one with, believe it or not, either of two different sources! This issue started in the 80s when I wanted a bicycle, but realized my balance problems were becoming prohibitive. So, I began to check on adult trikes. The standard ones, however, were awkward and not at all sporty. I must have stumbled upon recumbent tricycles when I was just searching online. They looked great, but were very cost prohibitive—as in the thousand$. Now, this spring, I managed to snag a good enough work contract to afford the trike; simultaneously, a service provider materialized which will also cover the cost! Honestly, I can hardly stand the wait for Spring and $$! There's a bike and walking path along the creek behind my building, which takes two blocks to get to (another obnoxious issue) and drives me fairly crazy. All I can think about is finally getting on the wheels and really enjoying myself! For those who need more info: http://www.answers.com/recumbent?cat=health&gwp=13 Now then, how many of you here have “bents?” Please tell me what you think of them. dani Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:20 It's here :!: Actually, I've had it for a couple of weeks, but procrastinated on posting here. I tried to get an image up, but apparently that has to show up on a full page with a URL. So, here's the link: http://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents/trikes/sun/sun-recumbent-trikes.htm. FYI, it's a delta trike; tadpoles are set too low for most people of a certain age. :mrgreen: I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying it. For me, it's freedom, except that I have to work my way up to getting to the groovier places around. I'm about halfway to my particular lake goal. One pleasant thing I've noticed is that I don't get any muscle aches and pains afterwards, as with other types of exercise. I'm just trying to pace myself so that I don't end up somewhere I can't get back from. :roll: What's unpleasant is how much I sweat! Anyhow, coming home is a hasty peel-off-as-fast-as-I-can on a dead run to the shower! I had a fairing installed primarily to keep wind off of my face because I get "wind-headaches." Aren't I weird? :lol: It sort of helps with that, but best of all, it cuts down on wind-drag, which adds to the fun. There's a great forum,http://www.bikeforums.net/ that has boards for every kind of human-powered cycler there is. There's even one for "Clydesdales and Athenas, 200 lb. plus," where people have really accomplished some remarkable weight drops. Even if you're not in that category, it's still great for all of us who want to lose weight (who doesn't, these days?) My particular faves are the recumbent and Great Lakes boards. Hope some of you might be interested.
FYI, my Sun EZ3 is probably the least cost prohibitive trike, around $900 sans extras. This particular model is sort of standard for disabled riders, although many people without special needs use it. Maybe some of you aren't comfortable riding a two wheeler and didn't know about this option--well, now you do! Best, dani

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Finally got my recumbent trike!

Post by spiegel »

Congratulations! :)

NoPlaceLikeHome
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by NoPlaceLikeHome »

That is so cool! 8) Is it comfy? There's a guy around here who rides his recumbent a lot and it looks like the exercise he gets is fairly intensive. I'm not sure I'd want to be that low to the ground, but then I'm used to my old 3-speed Raleigh which because of the handle bars has me up quite high. Congrats!

dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by dani »

Many thanks to you nice posters, spiegel and NoPlaceLikeHome. :D NoPlaceLikeHome, I wouldn't ride it if it weren't comfortable :!: You're probably familiar with the recumbent style of exercise equipment. They and the 'bents are designed that way because it's a more ergonomically correct, and comfortable, way to sit. At first, I thought that the seat angle was going to be a problem (there are bents where you're literally lying at a curved angle) because my butt would start to get numb. Well, it only takes a few hills requiring use of the butt muscles to clear that up! I haven't really ridden a bike since I was a kid, but I can appreciate that you've gotten so used to your Raleigh that sitting any other way is unimaginable. If you're quite slender, having your butt up in the air isn't problematic. Yet I have an idea that the position of upright bike seats is a reason why I see so few women on the trails, which is sad. There certainly are enough hefty men now riding. :mrgreen:

robinsimons
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by robinsimons »

I want a trike... why did you get a recumbent rather than a regular one?

dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by dani »

Hi robinsimons, I've tried a couple and the seating is awkward; felt like I was always going to fall off one of them. I also don't particularly like riding at that angle--your butt is up there for all to see and believe me, I've got plenty to see! Finally, they're really built for slow pedaling to the store and back, nothing sporty about them--they even come automatically with a great big shopping basket. With the recumbent, I feel totally secure with my balance. The seating is much lower than traditional trikes, although not awkwardly so, unless you get into a true sports model. I love riding it on the trail. It's OK for shopping, but I must admit there are times I really wish I had one of those big baskets (which would never fit on mine). Finally, sitting at the recumbent angle has been stated as being ergonomically better than any upright cycle. Hope that helps! :)