150 Steps in August

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: 150 Steps in August

Post by Jane B »

Hello all, Hope everyone has been having a good weekend. Lynx, I'm glad to hear your gig went well. I've been keeping up with my usual music and translation stuff. Remember earlier this month when I mentioned all those insect bites I was getting? Well it seems it might not be mosquitoes. Some of our neighbours who had similar problems in the past think we probably have a bed bug infestation. Wonderful! I was wondering if any of you have ever had such problems and might be able to help out. JB

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, Sorry I've been absent from the boards for awhile. I'm down in North Carolina now but will be back home tomorrow. Back to the drawing boards this week. -- Mannix

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Mannix, think I can speak for everyone here in that we pardon you for being away from the list when you are away from home. <Queenly bearing> OK, my steps recently: Printed out fliers advertising my SUV for sale, with a pic and a blurb. Posted them at five or six different places around town. The two callers who may have been interested in my SUV decided to buy other, closer options; so I wondered if advertising locally might work. B/f called, we had a nice talk; except he popped the question asking to use the SUV again, :twisted: Aside from the SUV needing to be available to sell, told him again that I could hear the brakes scraping. He said he was surprised about that, (if you believe that, you can buy this watch) and that it must be the brake calipers. (After thinking about it later, I realized that in this last month that he used the SUV, he's pretty much cost himself all of the money that I would have given him off the sale of it.) He informed me he's moving on Wed; offered me the TV, (which was his,)& the VCR/DVD recorder (which was ours,) along with most of the other stuff he's been using of mine, such as the computer desk, etc. Fortunately for the return of the rest of my stuff, the place he rented (for a much cheaper price too) in Maui is furnished, so I get the "spoils" of him moving on Wed. Now I don't have to worry about pulling the rug from under him, I can move without hesitation toward the resolve of leaving him to his own devices. Now, if there is someone out there who will pay me some sort of money for this hulk of an SUV... Wow, this has been such a biggee for me to resolve. Feel so relieved and also just want to go to bed and pull the covers over my head.

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Hi, all! I'm back, too! It's been a week long whirlwind of travel, shopping, son coming home engaged-- followed by celebrations and initial planning, a 2 workshop day, finishing details on his grad school applications, son leaving returning to college, lots of unpacking and straightening. Whew! Lynx-- been watching your planning system. I'm taking it that the schedule you posted on 8/21 was pre-planning. Do you often set your schedule with such detail? I'm wondering whether it would work for me! An8el-- I don't find you co-dependent at all. I find that you are looking for ways to be a helper and not be taken advantage of. There's a big difference, I think. Sounds like you are separating yourself from drama. (a thought, I may be wrong. . . possibly you feel too responsible for other people's feeling?? Maybe I'm reading my own stuff into your life! :-) ) JaneB-- just read a newspaper article saying that bedbugs are back in a big way. (Due to expanded traveling, reduced spraying, and maybe just an aggressive bedbug population??) If it's suddenly newsworthy, google might provide the current best advice. Good work on that medical translation-- I'm impressed! Mannix-- about the monthly drama-- it's a real drain. For me, it helps to see me existing separately from all the 'story lines' that go on in my life. Kind of a weird concept, but it works for me! As for today, resting and refocusing are the main functions. I have a number of new contacts as a result of Saturday's workshops. Need to do some "Lynxian" thinking about forming relationships with these folks. Want to fill my 6 week E-Course-- need to plan those next steps. (Hmmm. . . occurs to me that this is the first time I've been this pro-active. Usually just let the chips fall!) marymary-- wondering about the details of your 'one month' idea. Can't remember, is it a Barbara thing?? I'll keep you posted. --jewelB

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

69. cleaned up computer desktop 70. researched MOVES 71. printed several pieces of MOVE info 71. bought fan for exercise truck 72. reviewed/updated organizational system 73. noticed having a meal at 3 pm remains important not bad for a 'resting' day, I guess! --jewelB

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Just how detailed is your planning, Mr. Lynx?

Post by Lynx »

Lynx-- been watching your planning system. I'm taking it that the schedule you posted on 8/21 was pre-planning. Do you often set your schedule with such detail? I'm wondering whether it would work for me! JewelB Yes, I do set it in great detail. About half the time and not always so linear. Sometimes I only lock in the sequence but don't worry about how long each will be. Sometimes I lay them out randomly on a page and cross them off as I get them done. In real time I'm off course a lot because I let it drift when, say, I get on a roll and the alarm sounds I just ignore it. On that particular day I didn't get in the third round of work and can't figure out where the time slipped to. I want to send a huge hug to everyone for keeping these threads going. I just printed out my traveling phone directory (the one that stays in my daytimer) after months of twaddling. I would not have done it had I not written out the steps here. And this relates to the detailed scheduling part, too. I seem to have an auto-pilot that takes over once I've written something out. The finer the detail the more automatic it becomes. What sometimes happens is I seem finished for the day, take a short nap and awaken with sudden energy to get to that thing I've written out. I have a variant of this I call Me-go-irithms (playing off algorithms in computer lingo. What I do doesn't make Al go, they make Me go!) In this version I put the steps on the blank side of old business cards. This is particular helpful if I'm changing a long habit pattern and can't seem to get the hang of the new habit. Playwright Maria Irene Fornes has a quote about writing that applied to everything that something's like: There are two parts of you, one that wants to do it (writing) and one that doesn't. The side that wants to do it has to keep tricking the side that doesn't! Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Made a list of stuff to do the night before and packed stuff so I wouldn't be too rushed. Was too rushed anyway and still forgot stuff I needed Got to my house sit almost on time While moving stuff in with the front door ajar, thought I lost the youngest cat who could have snuck outside when the bedroom door where the cats were shut up in blew open; found the cat after freaking about for about an hour and a half. It was hiding in the house. Boy kitty's name was Nini, IMHO now has a new name: Houdini" Changed three appointment times to accommodate house sit. Realized I need to jet home again tomorrow sometime to get prescription filled, grab a phone number I forgot to have, fill up on the cheapest gas station, get the library books I forgot and pick up the milk for my tea How could I get so :? Got one round of my laundry done at the house sit. More tomorrow. Wow, this bed is cushy here - wonderful. "They" say "a change is as good as a rest," but I say a change and a rest is even better.

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Mr. Lynx, sir. . . I am grateful that you are willing to share your systems! As I have said, I do so appreciate it! I'm going to be playing with scheduling. Need to reduce the 'aimless wandering' thru my days, I do believe ! I think I'll even schedule some pondering / deciding time I agree that this thread is terrific! An8el-- enjoy your change and rest!! more later --jewelB

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Today's steps: 75. assembled fan 76. identified relevant portions of MOVES concept 77. identified gaps and pondered solutions 78. created MOVES document 79. updated book themes 80. emailed book support person 81. perused WW website: Core or Points ?? 82. updated my organization chart 83. very rough draft of e-course promotion 84. played with forum 85. installed 2 new themes! 86. posted theme question

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Okay, Today's a Fresh Start

Post by Lynx »

I'm playing with the post icons. What are they supposed to signify? JewelB, what's your MOVES doc like? Could you share? Mannix: Welcome back. I think I've noticed the crisis-a-month pattern as well. I have the sense you bring a fair amount of intensity to life and it bounces back! Like Mitch Hedberg quipped: no matter how hard I practice tennis I'll never be as good as a wall. I myself know of intensity. Once had a heart-throb advise me to appreciate women from the edges in. Emily Dickinson wrote tell the truth but tell it slant. I've been learning to deal with the breakdown in business-Lynx connections more calmly. The failure of my cell phone is one example. Just yesterday I learned that somehow my mailbox for my new dot com email had filled up (I had looked a while ago and it was empty. Odd). I haven't gotten anything through for the last 5 days. So I called in and asked if they could trace at least who sent messages so I can let them know I had no email. And they said they will (just 11 messages, gut still, one could be a big break). Okay. I have concluded that I'm going to have to get my book written like driving through a fog: only seeing a little ahead at a time. So: principles I announce here to hold myself to: A time to work on book is within sight (72 hours or sooner). Lite a candle as a ritual way of reminding myself to finish up this work. Create a symbol for working on book for my daytimer (a W with a bar on top) Pick one of the following or select one a random. (Note: I think writing will have the triangle of service: quantity, quality and time. I can set one or two but not all three for a session. )
    One line, just one a single line, edited? newly minted? I don't care. (Quantity) Fifteen minutes, minimum, set the timer, go! (Time) Polish a single paragraph. (Quality) Mimic something else (wildcard) Dialog with your resistances (reflection) Delete something (quality) Number these options and throw a die to discover which to do. (wildcard)
This is something that time on task related. Even 5 or 10 minutes is work on getting it finished. One resistance: I feel I lost the thread from my first inspirations. I dug into research "because I felt I didn't know enough" and read other works. Then I really realized I didn't know enough and read even more. "Lynx ..." Me: Who's that? Voice: I'm the voice of the Writer Within. Me: Hi. WW: Let the other stuff go. It's in you someplace. It'll surface when necessary. Write all out and footnote later, or have someone else footnote track for you. It's like the Zen story of the calligraphy writer being watched by Me: I know this story. WW: Let me finish my sentence. Me: Why? WW: (Whispers) We have an audience. Me: Oh, continue. WW: So, the artist was being watched by his teacher. The teacher left to make a pot of tea, and in that moment of freedom the artist drew perfectly. Me: So, just forget all about that reading. WW: In a word. Me: Then what was it for? WW: Look, I got to make some tea ... It's kind of overcast but not raining, so I may take my box of collected scraps and notebook computer to the local Univ (out of session) and take over a study room like I've been scheming and just see what I can find. No pressure. Ah, that's the way. That will count for today. Scheduled return: tomorrow night (#2). L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Lynx, at this point my "Moves Document" is just a 2 column ditty. As I research this concept and discover something new or identify a gap, it goes in the left-hand column. As I come up with a response or an idea for my business, it goes in the right-hand column. I list my current questions in the right-hand column, also. I've posted a thread in Idea Parties to gather ideas about what might constitute a MOVE or a touch (as marketers call them, I think) I'm hoping for a "brainstorming o'rama" of sorts!! Anxious to hear how the writing went ! How's everyone else rolling along these days? --jewelB

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, I'm back from N.C. Lynx, I was going to write several paragraphs about my current problems with the computer and an annoying parent of a student. Then I noticed your observations about the crisis-a-month. I think it helped shine a flashlight on a big resistance pattern I've been missing. "Woe is me! How can I be expected to function under these dire conditions???" Hmmm..... :? Jane, sorry to hear about the bedbugs. I haven't had any experiences with them (knock wood). Have you found anything online? I hope you can get them out of your life asap. Yuck! An8el, glad you're getting out from under the boyfriend issues and hope you're having fun house-sitting! Jewell, congratulations on becoming a mother-in-law-to-be! :) Son getting married and starting grad school? Now that is a lot! Well, I guess my major step for this tail end of August is to make steady progress in the face of constantly changing emotions. Or rather, try not to let emotional reaction cause a cease-and-desist on my personal projects. Maybe I'd better get out that resistance tape again. Happy Thursday, everyone, -- Mannix

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Whew - early this AM, helped b/f move his junk out of his apt. He paid me back fifty bucks; then he gave me another twenty bucks for the gas to drive him around, as well as took me out to breakfast. Dropped him off to his boss' truck with his one suitcase to move to Maui. Hmmmm, that's better. Hey, at least that banana is finally DONE! Now comes the work of fixing up and selling the fallout. Zoomed back to the house-sit to give a fun "table" lesson to my only A.T. student, because it was close to her place. Dropped off the stuff packed in my car at home, then back to repack my car from the house-sit...and enjoyed the people who were gone a little when they arrived back. Watched a little of their HD TV with them. House sitting was fun - nice to be where there were no mosquitoes for a change. AND I actually got paid to house sit, strangely enough - as well as fed while I was there. Covered the extra cost of gas to get there and back a couple times at least, even though it was only three days. More house-sitting coming up for a couple weeks at the end of Sept. which will be more fun because I'm much closer to the beach. Then went home and sorted out some of the junk I scored. Found a few more items of my stuff. Got another little job helping someone get rid of their spyware, so working on that tomorrow.

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Wed. steps: 87. organized for the day 88. read and organized for SD project 89. checked on theme question-- no answers, may delete 90. continued research on “touches” 91. posted for ideas on Sher Board 92. wrote excursion #4 93. compared progress so far with goals -- yikes! I've noticed that a lot of what I am doing is around my goals, but not directly towards them ! :oops: This is often how my resistance/fear shows itself. (i.e. I'm researching "touches" not doing them!) I really do need to do the research and get my head around this new thought. . . but I need to do the work, too ! I am more comfortable in the planning stages-- the doing can terrify me. hmmm. . . Ooooh, this is big for me! May use this thread next month just for business & personal goals and move organizational stuff to monthly challenges. Mannix-- Good awareness about the monthly crisis. Awareness brings the opening to change. Can you ask yourself to identify which parts of you are still perfectly functional in this crisis? If that's not helpful, throw it away !! Lynx-- I can pdf a copy of my Moves notes if you wanna see it, but its pretty basic and sloppy. I think you are in the advanced course! An8el-- Love the house sitting idea! You continue to show yourself as healthy by cutting ties, repairing damages, and moving on! Way to go!! Jane-- Hope the translation and music stuff is beating the heck out of those bed bugs! Well, let's see if I can focus on the doing of my work this morning! --jewelB

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Off a fun day!

Post by Lynx »

Lynx-- I can pdf a copy of my Moves notes if you wanna see it, but its pretty basic and sloppy. I think you are in the advanced course! JewelB Naw, I can visualize it well enough. Thanks for the offer. Mannix: Maybe we can start a crisis a month club and collect them and trade them with enemies! Yesterday, dropped off my last library possession (always a feeling of liberation) and then sat with my pile of book papers for two hours. Got re-inspired to address the introduction. Still more to slog through, but the local Univ is out till the 23rd of next month so I will have lots of space to roam. I take my laptop and play radio channels on Itunes. Had a call back from one of my warm calls and she's working on maybe something shaking out. This is about the fourth contact. Today I have a Reiki energy work session, then hours in the Russian hot tubs, then a body work session for my sore right hip, then chill somewhere for reflection. Costly day, but it's for me and my health and sanity, what could be more important? L