150 Steps In September

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

proposal betting

Post by Lynx »

And I admire your decision on accepting the proposal. No fear of the unknown there! Mannix Just personally accepting that I will apply—no work yet. Actually getting out today for a series of appointments, one a surprise lunch date with my flirt buddy (more onesided I guess, but she did call!) helped clarify my approach, simplify it a lot and make it seem possible I can get it in on time w/o much trauma. We'll see. Met with a former coaching client for an update at no-additional charge listening/support session. All part of the MOVES philosophy. Connected with the admin assistant for a person who has not been returning my calls. All part ... Dropped by the US Court of Appeals (a medical researcher and inventor friend is being viciously hounded by the Washington State Dept of Health). Missed the arguments, but hung out a few minutes in support. Tonight, finishing looking at Sicko for the second time to prepare for a workshop I'm co-leading in December. Send out info to a friend on Senate Bill 1959 and catch up on email. That should cover it. Oh, and writing up the instructions for interpreting biorhythms for a friend. Tomorrow: heavy lifting on the proposal for a few hours, return some DVDs and CDs to the library, take a trip to look at a possible gift for my brother, volunteer for a conference on health care and get home early as possible and then to bed to get out @ 5:20 AM Friday for a fun filled day out of town. But, you may ask, how can it be fun filled if you have to leave so early. I ask myself the same thing. Sat: back to the proposal. Sunday: more proposal, you get the routine. Mannix: They way you describe it—as soon as you set a course you get massive resistance. Is there a part of you that feels you violate a silent rule to never be in focus or have a focus? Is it "be blurry and be safely invisible." If so, I had similar issues and so sympathize with the paradoxes. One of the paradoxes of decluttering is that it makes the space we live in more visible. We get to see more of what we can't see! Ever feel a need to burn 15 minutes, look up Keats's quote on the WWW about "negative capacity" or "negative capabilities." L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: 150 Steps In September

Post by jewelB »

Feel like I've fallen off the planet. Things got crazy for a while, including 25 college boys at my house a concussion (not mine-- although it feels like it, a little! :-) a "running" schedule Let me catch up in broad strokes. I have: been promoting my E-Course continued with listening sessions been reading (finished one book) began weight loss (down 4 pounds-- and am squeezing into a smaller pair of pants today!) been doing yoga It's my plan to catch up with you today and post again this evening!! --jewelB

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Wow, you all !! I'm impressed ! You've been so busy, doing fear-defying, and self-defining work! And I've lapped up every supportive comment encouraging me to slog through the slow times like a thirsty puppy ! I'm facing big resistance. My goal is to have 6 participants in my first E-Course. I have 2 (or 3) so, it's time to recruit. Make personal contacts, chat it up! I tell myself that I hate that part-- not sure that is accurate. I'm frightened of it more than hating it. Seems like when I push through, it occasionally is actually fun! This afternoon, I: sent mid month newsletter read listened to assigned pod-cast got a yuku forum nearly ready for E-Course light eating

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: proposal betting

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone,
Lynx wrote:Mannix: They way you describe it—as soon as you set a course you get massive resistance. Is there a part of you that feels you violate a silent rule to never be in focus or have a focus? Is it "be blurry and be safely invisible." If so, I had similar issues and so sympathize with the paradoxes. One of the paradoxes of decluttering is that it makes the space we live in more visible. We get to see more of what we can't see! Ever feel a need to burn 15 minutes, look up Keats's quote on the WWW about "negative capacity" or "negative capabilities."
Yeah, Lynx, I think that pretty much sums it up. Also something Barbara talks about in one of her books: If I always have this huge decluttering project on my plate, I can't ever move on to other things. Sometimes when I think about what I would do if my home were magically decluttered and redecorated overnight, I get scared! Regarding the clutter itself, I have a lot of emotional baggage around getting rid of things. In some weird way, I think being surrounded all this mess feels like a safe fortress, so I guess that's the "safely invisible" part. I'll check out the Keats quote. Jewel, keep going on that project! I've been battling a lot of resistance, too. Take small steps, give yourself small breaks for getting stuff done! And congratulations on that weight loss, that's great! How am I doing, you ask? Let's see ... 1. Clutter project: went through two more boxes today. Then husband and I did a little work on clutter in the kitchen. 2. Blog: e-mailed contact and planned to meet in person September 30. Wrote new blog entry. 3. Pennsylvania Turnpike trip: Found a website devoted to visiting the abandoned turnpike and found two areas I haven't been to yet. Haven't done much on overhauling the fridge or doing any more on fixing my computer. Haven't cooked anything in quite some time and we are eating out way too often. I've fallen off the exercise bandwagon again, too. It's been hard to balance making time for everything. Also accidentally stumbled on a community that may fit something I've always liked to do. One word: "roadgeek!" Hope everyone has a great Friday! -- Mannix

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hello all, Been away for a few days and catching up with everyone's steps and posts. Mannix, glad to see you've decided to tackle the de-cluttering despite the resistance. For my part I've been trying to get more exercise this week since I'm not so rushed with work. Went to the gym a couple times. Also keeping up with the voice training. Today is the first time since I started my more aggressive singing style that I have lost my voice entirely. I know it's because I went too far. Last night we rehearsed for several hours and we were recording stuff to eventually use as demo material. At one point I started to feel my voice getting tired, and usually that's when I decide to take it easy and stop all the shouting, but then the band decided to record more takes. Since I wanted the takes to sound good I continued singing with full force... and that's why I'm in the state I'm in today. Been taking it easy today, drinking tea with honey, placing my head over a hot bowl of water to absorb the vapours and moisturize my vocal chords, etc. Luckily my day job doesn't involve any talking. However, I've had to take a break from making prospective cold calls! As for those pesky bedbugs, it seems there is some hope. An exterminator is scheduled to come and treat the three apartments in my building next week. I have to do a very thorough cleaning of the place in preparation.
Last edited by Jane B on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

see me?

Post by Lynx »

Thanks Mannix for answering my description. If you haven't heard of ReDecision Therapy see if you can locate articles or tapes by a man name John McNeel. I'm recovering from my too early uprising yesterday. Backing up computer, off loading some stuff to work on the laptop, Saturday errands (picking up a lamp, shopping, etc.). Having fun exploring voo2do.com. JaneB, sorry about your voice needing a holiday. Lesson given, lesson learned? Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

redecision found

Post by Lynx »

Check out this great article by John McNeel on Redecision Therapy: http://www.authenticleadershipcenter.co ... rocess.doc Lynx

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

24. Ballet class yesterday morning (note to self: was a half-decent day for double turns!) 25. Another small spurt of decluttering and throwing things out (edited to add) 26. New sketch, uploaded to sketch blog (link in signature line)

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Found something to write on in the garage where I'm staying and set myself up at the kitchen table to work. Maybe I should really be set up in front of the computer because I don't have a copy of the addresses to look at... Walked to store (2 miles away) to get envelopes that I forgot to bring with me to complete the billing. Really, it helps people to provide an envelope for them to mail back their payment already made out with the correct address on it. Now I don't have any "preliminaries" to do to get down to it... Really, there are only 33 letters to stuff and address, and write two return addresses on them. Realized that I HAVE to get it mailed out by tomorrow because it has Friday's date on it and I can't have mailed it any later than Monday. This way it's in line for people's bills being paid on the first of the month if they can do that. If anyone still has any money after so many of these banks have collapsed... :jawdrop: Hey, now at least I'm only $140 short on my rent that's due on the 1st... Pretty sure now that I can scare up that amount in a week or so...

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Stepped across a Line?

Post by Lynx »

Hey everybody, I'm a bit bummed out. In social recovery from a run-in with a police officer directing traffic yesterday. We were in one lane of traffic going into the NFL game (which we hadn't tracked for our plans). We needed the ferry and thought we hand to change lanes to get to it. Hadn't noticed soon enough, and there was a traffic cone (just one) in the way. I jumped out to move the cone. Well the short is the cop wanted us to return to the right lane, we interpreted what he said [something like you'll get or fit through] as it was okay to go through (change to the left lane) so we did. We both interpreted it the same way. He was not pleased and said since we couldn't follow his [ambiguous] directions to expect a ticket in the mail. We expect a big one as he appeared pretty steamed. Yuck. Of course, my partner was driving and will be out of town for three weeks so probably won't have time to get to court to challenge this. I wish I could write a counter-ticket for using ambiguous language from a distance of 15 feet. Lynx

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Hey, where is everyone? Was anyone here a stock market investor? Sorry about the ambivalent direction of that traffic cop, Lynx. Had something like that happen to me when a cop gave me a ticket for going 60 in a 45mph zone, but it was really a 55mph zone, (and a long downhill also,) but the cop found a reason to admit his mistake (an advisory sign knocked down, not anywhere near where he gave me the ticket, but allowed him to save face at the home office,) and he took back the ticket! Managed to get all the return envelopes hand addressed today. Tomorrow AM I will mail them, because I'm going to finish the rest of the addressing tonight. Need some chocolate or something as a reward as I go...I've been sooo resistant for this.

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

27 and 28. Bad sketches, not on blog. Really bad sketches!

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, Just checking in. An8el, we have some retirement investments but have been counselled to sit tight. So we're a-sittin'. :shock: (For us, retirement is 10-15 years away minimum, and probably more.) Lynx, so sorry to hear about the run-in with the cop. Even if your partner can't be there, I would definitely look into challenging the ticket in court. If the two of you saw the situation that way, maybe the judge will, too. Maybe the cop's gotten in trouble for his temper before. Who knows? Good luck! -- Mannix

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

29. Spent some time last night attempting to make another dent in the pile of paper on the floor 30. More bad sketching

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thanks

Post by Lynx »

Thanks for the support on the tix deal. So far (two mail days) nothing has arrived. Got yet another application in on time yesterday and managed to find my brother's birthday gift. So a good day. Today, had a problem with a hair in my left eye, went to doc, I could see it but the MA and phys. couldn't?! Then to a meeting, then picked some medicinal herbs, home for lunch and it's still just 12:14. Making calls and dealing with some bills that are pending this afternoon and then another meeting at 4. Trying to enroll in a class by paying over the phone (what an idea). We have two large scale (a university where I work and Countrywide) identity theft notices in the last six months, so my alert level is up on that. I have to dreg up some income, but soon. Oh where or where is it? Trying to still enjoy the time while not neglecting finding some cash. L