HELP with computer problem

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

HELP with computer problem

Postby mango » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:36 pm

Computer gurus, please H-E-L-P with my computer problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. It has worked beautifully since I got it a few months ago. I have DSL Lite for an internet connection, and it has been pretty speedy. A few weeks ago, the speed dropped by at least 50%. I waited to see if it would resolve itself. I ran bot and spyware checks. I ran my anti-virus software. I removed all superfluous programs, pictures, and files. Nothing helped. I upgraded my DSL service to 'ultra' and it hasn't made a bit of difference. It takes MINUTES to load a page. I tried to contact my DSL provider, but they make it impossible to e-mail, and I can't call because the account is in my husband's name (we're separated). Online chat would take about 4 days at this speed. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of switching to cable internet, but I want to be sure it's the DSL connection and not my computer. Thanks for any help.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: HELP with computer problem

Postby skannie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:59 am

Hi Mango. Here's a website where you can test your Internet upload and download speeds. That should tell you whether it's a problem with your DSL provider or with your computer. http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/bw.asp
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:49 am

When you say it has slowed by 50% - do you mean starting up or opening your browser? What browser are you using (IE, Firefox,Chrome)? Download Firefox and see if that helps. Download cc cleaner and run it. What virus software/firewall are you using? What operating system? (XP or Vista)? Are you using a router or are you connected directly to the modem?
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kdb » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:40 pm

Have you tried this? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx It'll help you see what is actually running on the machine.
kdb
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:57 pm

Thank you for your replies! Here's what I got from the site Skannie recommended: Download Speed: 370 kbps (46.3 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 212 kbps (26.5 KB/sec transfer rate) Latency: 86 ms No idea what it means. Tituba, here's the info: 50% slower loading internet pages (Word, etc. works fine) IE version 8 (just trying it now to see if it will make a difference) Windows Vista MacAfee virus protection and firewall Firefox didn't help Wireless router I will download CC Cleaner and run it. I'm going to look at kdb's suggested site also.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:20 pm

I'm not an expert, but that seems like a pretty slow download speed for DSL, especially for an Ultra service. What speed is the company advertising for it? I have a very basic, cheap cable service in Slovakia, and when I did that test, using the four different servers, I got download speeds from 899kbps to 1962kbps. Strangely enough, although the site says you should get higher speed from a server that's closer to you, I got the slowest speed from London. The 3 American servers were all over 1000kbps with Dallas being the fastest. My upload speed isn't much higher than yours but it's meant to be like that for the price I'm paying. I don't know what latency means and I didn't write down what values I got. So I'm thinking, unless anyone more expert says different, that its not your computer that's at fault but the DSL service.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:10 am

Oh, oh, oh, - get IE8 off that box! It is nothing but a mess. Go to add/remove programs. Make sure check updates is marked. Find the IE8 update and remove it. Go to http://www.malwarebytes.org and download, install, update and run this spyware cleaner. Also, try connecting directly to the modem without the router involved and see if it makes a difference. If not, pull McAfee off the box and see if that changes the speed.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Thank you so much. I know you normally get paid for this! I'm downloading Chrome. I want to remove IE but when I go to add/remove programs, there isn't anything listed that looks remotely like it. And I don't know where the 'check updates' box is... I'm such a computer idiot. I don't have the gene. :bash:

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:59 pm

When you go to add/remove programs, at the top of the screen is a little check box and the words "show updates." Put a check mark there. Wait. Then scroll down to Windows Internet Explorer Beta 8 and remove it.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Needs and Links