question about the binders for all your interests

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: question about the binders for all your interests

Postby Starling » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:48 am

shparks wrote:
Starling wrote:Has anyone attempted a computerized system for this kind of thing. I just plain do not want a couple of shelves full of binders, and when I've tried filing systems in the past they have not worked for me.
Yeah, that's what I do. I don't have any binders.
Want to talk about how you do it?
Starling
New Poster
New Poster

Postby PeterH3 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:22 pm

Binders Rule !!!! WARNING FOR THOSE COMPUTERIZING THEM. i did this a couple of years ago, and thought it was great to computerize - until you PC crashes, breaksdown etc.... and yes, you can have backup, but one of the reasons binders work is that they are a visual reminder that begs for attention from time to time .... mine include, one for each overseas trip over the last 5 years, indigenous matters (meetings, seminars etc), 2 for family tree/history, and about 4 others. :D
PeterH3
New User
New User

Postby Unique Journalist » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:09 pm

I want to do the binders because, in my experience, out of sight means out of mind. I'm a visual person, so pulling out my interests/accomplishments and seeing them laid out in a book would probably bring more fulfillment than keeping everything on a computer on in a file. I've purged enough stuff in my room that it should be fine.
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:22 pm

I also use a ring binder. Computerised -There is someone on here that has a lovely website for all their interests, only I can't remember their name offhand but I think the way it was set out was very inspiring. I'll see if I can find their posts if I get a chance next week.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Trebien » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:37 pm

Starling wrote:Has anyone attempted a computerized system for this kind of thing. I just plain do not want a couple of shelves full of binders, and when I've tried filing systems in the past they have not worked for me. I've moved my journal into a computerized version that also has notebook capacity. I have actually done sections for a few of my interests and looked into one of those sections today. There everything was, still organized. I could pick it all up and continue even though I hadn't done anything with that subject for months. I'm a Sybil, so returning to an old interest is what I have always done. I've been returning to this particular one for decades, but this time, I don't have to start over from scratch. The program I'm using is great if I'm doing all the writing. It isn't great if what I want is to grab something from the Web. I've found another program that might be OK for that, and I'm going to try it out. But if anyone out there is already doing all of this project/interest organization on their computer, I'd love to hear what worked and what didn't work.
I am currently using a Program called The Journal you can try it for 45 days free here http://www.davidrm.com/thejournal/ But, a bit of warning you will probably love it as much as I do and will end up buying it. It has features that are great for Scanners. You can create Tabs across the top and label them. Under each tab up can create Categories and Sub Categories. You can also set up reminders and appointments. You can insert pictures and web address for reference. There is also a whole host of other things I haven't even begun to explore. ~Brian
Trebien
New Poster
New Poster

Postby scaramouche » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:12 am

Starling wrote:Has anyone attempted a computerized system for this kind of thing. I just plain do not want a couple of shelves full of binders, and when I've tried filing systems in the past they have not worked for me.
I use a free program called Evernote. It's a system of virtual notebooks that you can put any content at all into: documents, photos, music, video. You can even grab whatever piece of a web page you like and store it as well. Plus, with a click you can store all your content on the Evernote site. Fantastic!
scaramouche
New User
New User

Postby Trebien » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:24 am

scaramouche wrote:
I use a free program called Evernote. It's a system of virtual notebooks that you can put any content at all into: documents, photos, music, video. You can even grab whatever piece of a web page you like and store it as well. Plus, with a click you can store all your content on the Evernote site. Fantastic!
Wow this one is really neat too and its FREE! Thank you for sharing. ~Brian
Trebien
New Poster
New Poster

Postby elmas » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:44 pm

so what's the difference between your idea notebook and the binder system? is the binder for going deeper into one of the ideas you wrote on the notebook? is it just for people who have A LOT of interests? thanks.
elmas
New Poster
New Poster

Postby GoddessintheRough » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:23 am

Hi all, I just discovered the Microsoft "OneNote" software. This program is really great because you actually have a binder format where you can add notes from Word, the web, or any text source on your computer. If you hate to type out all your ideas, you can dictate into a digital recorder, transfer through Dragon Naturally Speaking to a word file, then pop it into OneNote. I have slowly been dictating all my old notebooks on to the computer so I have written and audio files (backed up in two places) that organize all my fabu ideas and observations. When I want to review them, I can read them, or listen to them. Ah, technology is sweet. I NEVER go anywhere without a digital recorder or a notebook. You just never know when an idea will pop up to make you the dog-in-your-purse, world traveler that everyone envies. I just hope I get the Big Idea before I need a walker. Can't see the world if I am shuffling. :wink:
GoddessintheRough
New Poster
New Poster

Postby avocationist » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm too lazy to punch the papers to put in binders, so I found these great clear bins at Target. they have a clip-on top and are slightly larger than letter paper size, so I just toss my piles in them and close them up. I can stack them, but when I want to work on a particular project, I can just bring the bin along with me. Since they are clear, I can still see everything. I have a stack of empty ones just waiting for the next project...
Allan Bacon http://allanbacon.com - Find Your Calling Without Quitting Your Day Job http://avocationist.com - real.life.career.change twitter: allanbacon
avocationist
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Alexia » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:01 am

Scaramouche -- I was interested in your posting about evernote. I looked at their website recently, and found it intimidatingly technical. What I would really like to know is -- can you just use their notebook spaces to type in a load of stuff ? I have a lot of research material that I want to put on-line so that I can access it from anywhere. And does their system provide for many subjects with a lot of sub-divisions ? Alexia.
Alexia
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby elmas » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:09 am

alexia, i just downloaded this piece of software to try it out. (the company also makes other "variations" that do more or less that this one). here: http://bit.ly/9zeLs thanks.
elmas
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Alexia » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:13 am

Elmas, Many thanks. It looks very interesting, but as I don't have my own computer I'm not into software at present. Maybe later. Meanwhile, as I have urgent need to get my material on-line, I've been looking at evernote and zoho. I already use the Google notebooks, but am not very happy with their system, so I want to put some of my stuff elsewhere. Alexia.
Alexia
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby metalchick » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:38 pm

I'm another who keeps all the details for projects on my laptop. I have a lot of social-type projects that don't require physical accoutrements, and I like to have all the info with me at work, so the computer is perfect. i also send myself text message reminders to stay on track with appointments and calls i need to make to keep things humming along. My art, music and fashion projects are all laid out all time at my house. One of the joys of being single- I don't put away a project til it's done. Out of sight, out of mind is not a problem any more- I can't get distracted and forget what i don't see every day. As for those too-perfect notebooks, write in every single one of them, just a little on the first or last page, so they're all broken in already. Draw a silly picture or tape a photo in there, just to get over the hump. You'll feel much better once you have them filled. They're way more precious that way!
metalchick
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Britta » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:38 am

my solution: I love technology but cant use it for my stuff, have to be able to touch and feel. Binders are for filing away in my way of thinking - so anything in there is out of sight and gone to me. Thats why I also use boxes. I love the plastic ones with good covers, but have a number of different ones depending on project (aknitting project wants to be in a box witha good lid so moth can't get it, whereas paper can have a more loosely fitting lid. So I have different colours and kinds. they can all be put on top of each other and all have lids though. I like that so I know ah the heavy duty cardboard box with roses has my fotos and memory stuff and the light violet one my travel stuff to Hawaii and the orange one my success team stuff and the dark wood one my paint brushes and colours and..... hope this helps too. even though someone already mentioned the plastic boxes previously Britta
Britta successteamleader, saved Scanner, physician, trainer for happiness, coach, clown www.brittahilse.de
Britta
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners