An amazing woman needs help.

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

An amazing woman needs help.

Postby zoe bishop » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:51 pm

It's been a while since I stopped in to say hi (I used to be woodnote, but I forgot my password :) ) -- so long, in fact, that most of you probably don't remember me, but I have a an opportunity for those who can to do a great bit of good in the world. Twenty nine years ago, Paula Bohovesky, a 16 year old honor student, talented artist, puppeteer, musician and aspiring actress walked into a shadowy place on her way home from work, and she never emerged. This was a girl who could have set the world on fire. I know this, because she was one of my best friends. The New York Times called the events brutal, but this was nothing short of savagery. The two men who attacked her were sentenced to 25 years to life - the maximum in New York State at that time. Now, every two years, Paula's mother -- an amazing, creative, beautiful woman who is now in her seventies, must face the two animals who brutalized her daughter, armed with nothing more than a fistful of signatures on a petition. She has succeeded for the past two years; but her biggest fear is that one day, she will not be here to fight. Having said that, I should clarify that I have volunteered to work within the prison system, and I do believe in rehabilitation, forgiveness, and second chances -- but there are some who will never be rehabilitated, and these are two. I don't want to spell out the all the gruesome details, so let me just suffice it to say that I believe that someone who could rape and sodomize what he presumes to be the dead body of a child, is someone so lost in his own depravity that he will never be rehabilitated. And I am not alone in my beliefs. A local judge has formed a non-profit organization with the intent of keeping these barbarians in jail and away from our children through the utilization of an online petition -- and that is where you get your opportunity to do a little good, and help Paula's mother out. Some former classmates have created a facebook cause page which is really more a show of support for Paula's mother, but also has a link to the petition. If you would like to help, you can find us here: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/264503/ ... m=cc366e79 If you are not on facebook, and would still like to help, you can go directly to the petition at: http://www.petitionforpaula.org The petition has no legal weight, but it is a good measure of public opinion, and it makes a statement to the parole board that we are tired of sacrificing our children to evil. Thank you.
zoe bishop
New User
New User

Return to Doing Good in the World