Door are opening

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Door are opening

Post by Tituba »

Today I held the business improv class. Got alot of positive feedback! Also got advice from the CEO on how to approach other companies. I then went to a client's house to work on their PC. She is a corporate attorney. I told her about the training session and she said that she is the head of a group of HR people that meet and she is creating next year speaker's calendar and wants a proposal. I submitted a proposal and was accepted as a presenter at the 2010 Storyteller's Conference. I'm also giving an business improvisation workshop at a local networking group in November and start teaching at the local community college (six week workshop) in late October.

educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by educguess »

Way to Go!!! Making those connections come together!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
[color=#4000BF]"How To" LIfe Consultants, LLC " Personal Development for Mult-talented Individuals" http://www.HowToInLife.com [/color]

Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Moonracer »

WOW! Tituba you are on a roll! That's huge! What did you propose for the Storytelling Conference. Where is it?

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Tituba »

I'll be one of the presenters at their annual conference in Warwick, RI

Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Moonracer »

What did you propose? What will you class be about?

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Tituba »

A workshop teaching improvisation games in relation to storytelling (revising the story on the fly). Example - the story of Hansel & Gretel. Continue the story after they kill the witch. Now what happens? The same characters - three different stories/viewpoints. That kind of thing.

Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Moonracer »

That sounds interesting. I can see how it could apply to any storyteller. Smart idea!

Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Scenario Thinker »

See, you're working in the corporate world, but on your terms. And I would say in a much needed venue for thinking creatively in that stodgy world :). I recently over the last several weeks attended some training classes that required us to think more outside the norm. Fun classes to take, now if they would only take them seriously at all levels. Maybe you'll start a new corporate training trend.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Tituba »

Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Hopefully you can rides the big waves! :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Tituba »

Here is the testimonial I got from the CEO of the company where I held my first corporate improv workshop “Kate did a tremendous job for us with her Improv Training for the Workplace at our office. The program included some innovative team-building activities based on improv exercises, and the staff had a lot of fun the whole time. Some of the highlights included the improv poem, the partner exercises, and the skit at the end to wrap up the training. We have never done team building before with an improv orientation, it was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. The staff liked the activities and improv approach, I liked the fact that Kate did a nice job of tying it all into business concepts including teamwork in the workplace. This is a great workshop, Kate comes highly recommended!” Saturday I start teaching a six week adult ed class in improv.

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Tituba »

Ah, man, I know better. Tonight I talked to a good friend of mine about this dream. Why, oh why, did I do that???? Jeez. I've been self-employed for seven years now and for seven years she has continually asked me if I'm looking for a job. Hello, I have a job... Most the time, I've been able to tune her out. Tonight I told her about getting this break doing the improv training for a company. She didn't say a word. Not a word. Not "gee that sounds like a good break" - or even something negative. Not a word. I read disapproval in her silence. Ya know.....those naysayers are everywhere.

Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Yeah, it happens all the time at work, especially when you tell management the way it is, they know it, but they can't say a thing without incriminating themselves in some way (i.e., if I had a tape recorder). I'd like to slap 'em sometimes. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Tituba »

Her definition of "success" for me is to go back to cubicle-land again. Doesn't even matter if the money is not as good as working for myself. There is something about me working for myself that really bothers her. So, I think my announcement that I'm pursuing a new company tells her that her dream for me to go back to corporate America is less likely to happen. I value my on line friends and the support they provide, but it would be kinda nice if someone who is my friend would have something positive to say. I know. Don't go to the hardware store for milk viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22960

Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Moonracer »

Aaaarrrgghhh! I just spent twenty minutes myself at the hardware store looking for milk! Why do we do this????? Actually, I know why I did it: I'm in trouble and was hoping for some words of encouragement. A weak moment caused me to tell more than I should have. I must love rejection! Tituba, it's possible that she also stopped talking because she realizes that this situation is working for you. People who don't fit the mold are hard for these types to figure out. Been a square peg all my life and have an entire family who keeps trying to shove me into that round, uncomfortable hole. You just keep proving her wrong (or at least her belief in the type of job one must have) over and over again with your success. To say something about getting another cubicle job would be stupid, so she didn't say anything. She didn't give you any pats on the back either, but that may come in time. And hey, at least she didn't s***t all over your parade, right?