Starting a Charity

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Starting a Charity

Postby shparks » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:48 pm

I am looking into the possibility of starting my own nonprofit organization. Does anyone have any experience with that sort of thing?
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Starting a Charity

Postby Andreya » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:37 pm

Have you found anything yet?

There's a lot of info online, on about.com etc, it would be cool to compare notes too!
I'm thinking of maybe starting something like that, a non-profit. (Not sure about the names in English, is non-profit the same as a charity? Or similar?)
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby shparks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:43 pm

Yeah, I have found out information about how to do it. I think that starting my own organization is probably not the best way to go.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Andreya » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:26 am

So are you going to join other organizations or help improve them, or start a biz or be an external 'consultant' or...?

It does seem a bit complicated, maybe you can get someone who already has an org and doesn't know what to do with it and likes your idea?
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby whynot » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi
I just registered to the board.
Strarting a not for profit is exciting, but once u get started the tasks need volunteers, etc.
If u have few hours a week, volunteer to work for local not for profit center that organizes and coordinates local not for profits. I just started a not for profit to benefit school age children, which is now getting complicated because of all the work that needs to be done. A scanner?
whynot
New User
New User

Postby shparks » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:37 pm

Andreya wrote:So are you going to join other organizations or help improve them, or start a biz or be an external 'consultant' or...?

I would like to start a business, but I am not very good at figuring out how to get other people to give me money. I cannot come up with a legitimate service that I feel confident about charging money to provide.

I have been thinking about taking some community service type ideas to local businesses, in the hopes that they will want to hire me to put a plan into action.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby butterflyellis » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:22 pm

I have considered a similar idea. I have debated on whether or not to do a non-profit organization or a small business. But I've started looking into grant writing as a way to get started. I want a business but it's the financial end that I struggle with. Good luck.
butterflyellis
New User
New User

Return to Doing Good in the World