What Did You Do As A Scanner Kid?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

What Did You Do As A Scanner Kid?

Postby Keechick » Wed May 11, 2011 10:45 am

I am definitely a Scanner, and always have been. This is what I did as a Scanner kid:

-- read all my mum's back issues of Mothering magazine

-- sketched stuff around our place: the oil lamp, laundry line, etc.

-- compiled a set of interview questions and interviewed everyone who visited: what's your favourite food, favourite colour, etc.

-- made a newspaper, The Star, reporting on the goings-on of the family and the neighbourhood (ie. there was a bear on Smiths' property; Klassens' lettuce is now up and very tasty)

-- illustrated the song Green Grow the Rushes-O, verse by verse (two, two, the lily-white boys, cloth-ed all in green ho ho)

-- converted to I Am, my grandmother's New Age cult. certain coloured clothes on certain days, no garlic, etc.

-- did yoga with Dad

-- practiced Islam with Dad, or tried to. may have fasted at Ramadan

-- read obsessively about forts in a certain book, and wanted to build them all, but had no idea how to follow even what they called "the very simple instructions". how would I get four 2x4's?

-- learned pig latin and egg-language from books, taught my brother, and became fluent to the point of being able to converse so quickly that no one could understand us

-- obsessed about Christianity to the point where I convinced my hippie parents to get me a Children's Bible and the Child's Book of Prayers, and drop me off at the Anglican church downtown. as well as went to Mass and catechism with our family friends

-- mastered stilts and the pogo stick

-- tried to learn morse code

-- learned all kinds of written code, from a book

-- studied cartooning from books

-- wrote in a journal from age 7 on

-- devoured all Gran's books on fairies and Findhorn Gardens and New Age spirituality. had long conversations with her about it.

-- read manuals on etiquette

-- read anything on ghosts, ESP, and the paranormal

-- insisted on joining the soccer team

-- became completely obsessed with gnomes, and studied that big Gnomes book by the Dutch authors, using it as a manual to find gnomes in our area

-- taught myself how to roller skate on some ancient metal skates we had kicking around, the kind that tighten with a key

-- worked diligently on learning Danish with Dad

-- fell in love with Balder and developed an obsession with Norse mythology from then on

-- wrote songs and poetry

What about you, what did you do?
A Sea Change http://sea-zens.blogspot.com/
Keechick
New User
New User

Re: What Did You Do As A Scanner Kid?

Postby SquarePeg » Thu May 12, 2011 7:29 pm

This is a terrific post, Keechick! I'm sure I would've enjoyed having you as a classmate!

I can't remember all the things I did, but it's not nearly as impressive as your list! I'll start with the most obsessive and work down that list:

- Created designs of spaceships by doing 3d-view drawings. Then I built them using cardboard from cereal boxes, toilet paper rolls, Popsicle sticks, tape, glue, & probably straws, uncooked spaghetti, wire, etc.

- Read Tom Swift Jr. Adventure series, which inspired the previously-mentioned model spaceship building.

- Tumbled semi-precious gemstones, and used a grinder / polisher to make cabochons for jewelry.

- Wrote in a diary starting at age 13.

- Read JRR Tolkien (obsessively, of course) and even translated some of my diary into Middle Earth.

- Drawing and coloring. I actually won third prize in a newspaper coloring contest and got a slot car set for it!

- Played baseball very inattentively and badly. For example, I remember when the ball was hit high into the air toward me, I didn't know where it was and covered my head and ducked. Poor dad -- he gave me a dirty look that time. I played soccer pretty well, though. I liked to play tennis and biked recreationally.

- Music. Loved listening to avant garde, crossover, fusion of classical, jazz & rock (especially Gentle Giant, Renaissance). Gosh how i would've loved an MP3 player back then. But it would've had 1KB capacity, just enough for about 10 seconds worth of music! LOL

- Music. Played bass guitar and tuba and sang bass in chorus. I also loved learning music theory, and considered studying music composition. I also dismantled my first bass guitar (after I got the second one) and removed the frets so that it became a fretless bass. And I could play it, too, much to the surprise of naysayers. I nearly pursued a degree in music instrument technology.

- Wood working. I designed and built a CD rack and modified a small desk to make it larger.

- My dad and brother were into fishing. I liked collecting lures and taking apart the spinning reel slightly more, though.

- While lying in bed before going to sleep, I'd imagine the bed was a small spaceship. I'd dodge and fight enemy aliens, travel to other worlds, interact with aliens, one of which was a girl I went to school with that I was particularly attracted to. :)

- Went on a diet free of artificial ingredients, a pre-cursor to my becoming vegetarian in my twenties. (I'm now somewhat obsessed with the blood type diet.)

- Studied the Bible. I was raised a Catholic, so I understood that there was only One Religion. I really would've enjoyed learning about others.

- Studied dinosaurs.

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Humm, wait, I might've been an adult by then. I didn't move out until I was 30 years old!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: What Did You Do As A Scanner Kid?

Postby Me and my Hamster » Fri May 13, 2011 9:53 am

Wow!

I don't remember all the things I did... but here's a few...

- Try ice/snow sculpture in winter (instead of just doing snowmen I tried to do animals as well.)

- Had a journal with some friends. We were a small group, and I did stories and illustrations on the paper.

- Did roller skating with my mom's old metal skates.

- Learn about quantum physics (as a teen.)

- Teach myself the guitar.

- Went in the forest at night to watch stars.

- Read what I could about stars and the universe.

- Drawing all the time.

- Learn codes as morse code and others, until I knew them by heart and could communicate with those.

- Build a tree house, and a tree table.

- Learned to repair stuff and change lampballs and so on. (I loved all the stuff my dad was doing.)

- Write poetry and songs (as a teen)

- Fishing

- Judo, Football, Karate, Soft Ball, Climbing, Hiking, Bow Shooting, Riding (bike), Skiing.

- Imagining stories and play them. Alone, with friends, with my siblings.

- Climb on the roof of my house. Try to enter my house by different (and unusual ways.)

- Read about math, and even asking for more math homework at school.

- Read about dinosaurs too.

- Go to museums with my family and enjoy it.

- Cook cakes and pancakes. Read about cakes and recipes.

- Go ghost hunting in abandoned houses with friends.

And... probably other stuff...
Me and my Hamster
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners