June 2012 - X Steps A Day

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

June 2012 - X Steps A Day

Postby Lynx » Thu May 31, 2012 10:08 pm

Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work.
    - Peter Drucker
OK, here's the concept.
Assign yourself X steps a day towards your goals, everyday for the month of June.

“The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who'll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you're sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that's almost never the case.”
    ― Chuck Close

A step is something that moves you towards your goals, and either takes at least 15 minutes or is emotionally difficult (like making a call you've been dreading).

I always tell my kids if you lay down, people will step over you. But if you keep scrambling, if you keep going, someone will always, always give you a hand. Always. But you gotta keep dancing, you gotta keep your feet moving.
    Morgan Freeman

A goal is anything that moves you forward towards what you want.

It doesn't have to be part of a lofty, thought-out goal.

If you want to get in shape, your exercise sessions are steps. If you think you ought to get out more, getting out is a step.

You simply have to put one foot in front of the other and keep going. Put blinders on and plow right ahead.
    George Lucas

Every day or so, check in with us so we can support you for the the steps you've made.

Oh, and make it fun sometimes to mix it up.

Change is upsetting. Repetition is tedious. Three cheers for variation! Mason Cooley

Keep steppin',

Lynx

[Typed with fingers]
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: June 2012 - X Steps A Day

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:28 am

You're so right about inspiration.

Most dreams are accomplished by hard work. But once you get over the shock, the hard work is fun. And then you get the surprises...
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:14 pm

Hey all,

Okay, June 1. I'm in the next round of freeing my spaces. One insight came when I asked myself why I had so much stuff I hadn't paid for and it wasn't a gift? The answer that came back: I'd rescued them! Like one of those movie scenes where something is highlighted, I could see rescued stuff everywhere.

The step for today is to pull together all I have on mediation and negotiation and keep 20% or less and let the rest go.

I also have film festival tickets, a step out to see that.

And some stuff to do for my j o b.

Happy steppin'

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Happy stepping!!

Cleaning and organizing and throwing away are amazing things to do.

I'm going to try to keep up with five steps per day in June. So far so good. I got a great start on publishing a paperback with Lulu press. That's my five steps for yesterday.
Molly's really becoming my alter ego. Do you ever dream "rescue" fantasies - where someone comes along and does the job you don't want to do? In my mind, Molly's my rescue dog. Of course, I'm really the one doing the work, (she's smart but not that smart) but pretending Molly's doing it gives me a little distance from the emotional garbage that slows me down.

Happy stepping!!!!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:46 pm

I've always wanted to say how much I enjoy the quotes in your first post of the month, Lynx.
So, now I've said it.

:D

I follow you all by reading your posts here and I mentally cheer you on - I'm sure lots of others are doing the same.

Happy stepping!
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

5 and 6

Postby Lynx » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Heya,

Got through 2 intense weeks at my job. Exhale. Intact and ready to get back on my personal priorities for a stretch.

First up, finishing out some films in the Seattle Film Festival.

Next, getting through a stack of binders to clear more space.

Next, donating some stuff this weekend.

Seems I normally would not have all this thinning/donating as a priority, so it would never get done, so I would never have space, but keep needing space or adding more stuff. This is like a time out.

Feels right.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:01 pm

Wow, thanks, Mango :D

Lynx, clearing things out is a great activity. Most of us including me have too much stuff that we don't need any more. And doesn't it make you feel great to donate some of it and know that someone else is getting a benefit! And I also appreciate your quotes.

I took a few steps backwards these last two days. On cup of coffee doesn't seem to give me much of a buzz lately, so I drank two. They tasted really good. Couldn't figure out why I suddenly felt like an ax murderer. Then remembered that the cup was double sized at least. So four + cups of coffee!!!!! Came down from the buzz about two AM. Meanwhile, Molly found the lemon merangue pie I'd left on the counter and smeared it all of the kitchen and living room rug. Hip is hurting bad, and cleaning up was a chore. I'm goin to try accupuncture tomorrow. Hope it helps.

Worst of all............ I was crusing the Internet and typed in spider solitaire. I knew better. Solitaire is my heroin.

I hope tomorrow is more productive.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks Mango for the Hi Five. They are fun to think about. I try to swap in or out one or two every month if I come across something I think relates.

Finishing going through some binders. Very educational. I had about 10 of my own workshop materials that I culled out to keep at hand.

Some ready to pass to a friend, others off to freecycle.

Partner went to a decluttering talk yesterday while I enjoyed a movie of a hippie religious group call The Source Family.

Today,
1. Check on whether I have a pdf of one of the handouts.
2. Post binders on freecycle.
3. Prepare boxes for donation to a charity.
4. See movie.

Elaine, I hope you've recovered from The Buzz. 4 Cups! 1/4 cup is too much for me.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi,

It's me, Molly the border collie here. My human got hooked on spider solitaire, so I'm writing this post for her. We discussed our marketing strategy for "Temporary Address", and I'm very excited about trying out some of my ideas. They are quite radical, and I hope to generate a lot of interest in the book.

First of all, I've started publishing a hard copy of the book on Lulu. I wish I had opposable thumbs.

My plans include asking support from celebrities. I have an "in" with many of their dogs, as I'm very sociable, and make lots of friends at dog park.

I have to write up my human's author's page and fill out a lot of the information she neglected that can lead to publicity through Amazon. And, as ncpenn pointed out, I have to make the e-book available for the nook.

We've been handing out business cards as way of sticking our paws in the water (as it were) and my human is way too shy about it.

I think we should have an Idea Party. We could do a pot luck. I could bring the liver snacks which are the best hors d'oevres ever.

I have more plans to talk about, but, this will do for now. I have to get to the garbage before my human throws it out.

A collie's work is never done.

Molly signing off,

Keep stepping.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:07 am

Hello Molly, Thanks for writing on Elaine's behalf.

Tell her I'm doing my steps of organizing new material for my financial literacy workshops. Also dropping by my first site to see if I can get something in gear. Will give them this week and next, then I'm opening it up so I can get in all the practice runs I need.

Ya know, Molly, sometimes this is like herding goats.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:55 am

yea, Lynx :D

Molly says she know what you mean about goats.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:26 am

hi

here at home working on my financial literacy project. one of the challenges is to get "certification" or other credibility stuff. turns out the fdic offers a train the trainers online. and they don't certify! way cool.

1. look at fdic site in more detail.
2. plan course of study of fdic site.

changing phone to VOIP (internet phone) today.
3. monitor email to know when this goes 'live'

working on payday lending info sheet
4. draft sheet (80% done)

keep steppin,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:12 pm

I goofed off shamelessly today, and finally took a couple of steps towards marketing. Felt good after I actually got something done. Why do I procrastinate??????

Keep steppin', Lynx, and anyone else reading this.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:40 am

Hallo,

The goal is saving money: The method is following comments online that VOIP saves you money. Here's how to do it:

You partner thinks a new smartphone is timely because of she talked herself into it. Then became a walking ad for why. Like everybody else. This was fine, this is her smartphone after all.
    In the process, she did 'research' online, and lo, we learned that we were horribly overpaying for phone service.
    Our ISP just happened to notice our modem was old and offered to replace it with a new modem. This cost $80.
    Next step was to Increase our internet speed, this will COST us ±$15 over our slower internet service (estimate cuz I'm not getting up to look).
    Next step was to let the ISP get the rights to our number.
    Next step was wait for the ATA adapter so our phone would work with the VOIP.
    Learn that VOIP would knock out the use of our phone extension lines in other rooms.
    VOIP goes live. Start researching digital corded/cordless phone. COSTS $15/mo.
    Try to send a fax. Doesn't work with VOIP due to the way data is routed on the Internet. COST $1.50 to send from UPS store.
    Put fax, copier, phone machine up for sale.
    Dust off scanner to use to email docs in the future.
    BUY new phone, COST $50.
    Call phone company to make sure local service is cancelled. SAVES $38/mo.
    Call long distance company to end services. SAVES $15/mo.

So, you may ask, when is break even. The higher speed cancels the long distance bill. We're out $80 + 50 + 1.50 = $131.50. Old Local charges minus VOIP charges = $25/mo.

131.50/25 = about 5.5 months and we will cross break even. Then start adding up the $25/mn savings, or $300/yr.

Like I said, eventually, VOIP will save us a lot of money.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:46 am

Lynx, Interesting!
Do most people calculate these things, or do they just buy products and take it on faith that the advertisers have their best interests at heart? :lol:

I'm getting close to five steps per day, so I'm mostly happy about that. I wish I were doing more, but I'll always wish I were doing more. I'm feeling more confident about selling my work. I keep asking myself the question - at what point is advertising pushy? I personally hate advertising, but now I'm finding myself on the other end of the coin - trying to push my book and creating advertising instead of throwing out the junk mail and hanging up on the telemarketers. And you can call it marketing, but it's still advertising and I hate it.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories