The Republican party is completely broken

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: The Republican party is completely broken

Postby merk » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:15 pm

My Blog http://blog.imerk.com
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jcjm » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:46 pm

At this point, I think both parties are broken and the people are suffering because of it.

Hopefully 2016 will bring some real leaders. I'm kind of excited about that, because it looks like the worst of both parties in 2016 will be better than the best choices we had last time.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Hasn't it always been like that, though? I remember as a kid, my mom saying we'd have to pick the better of two evils.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:29 am

I must be older than you.

When I was a kid, the Democrat's were for the working guy and the Republican's were for the rich or white collar.

Now there are a lot of white collar people who aren't rich, so the cross over is more.

Plus we use to have NEWS people like Walter Cronkite. Now we have commentators who are pusing an agenda.

I can't stand to listen to the so called news anymore, because it is filled with bias. It may be the truth, but not the whole truth, only that which supports their agenda right or left.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm in my mid fifties.

I was talking about my mom's opinion, I was just a kid.

I agree about the "news", it sucks.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:06 am

Its sad to see that people use to get their news from the most trusted man in America, Walter Cronkite and before him Edward R. Murrow.

Now people get informed from the Daily Show, The View, Rush Limbaugh, Ed Schultz, etc. all of which are entertainment and opinion, not news.

The closest things to news like The Huffington Post, MSNBC, FOX, all have a slant. What ever happened to just giving the facts and letting people make up their own mind? I think getting rid of the fairness doctrine decades ago, might have been the start of the slide.

Once broadcast operations didn't have to give equal time, they were able to push an agenda, like the newspapers had always done.

Whatever the reason, its hard to get just facts anywhere these days.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:37 pm

You have to use the internet and do searches and bypass anything that is a media news source. Even then, you're never going to get everything, because sources are sometimes hard to find. And you're still going to get slant, because everyone has an opinion.

Here's the news as far as I can tell: when 9/11 happened, we heard about it, the Boston bombing, the president got re-elected, uncle Darrell's cow got tipped. Everything else has spin, either right or left (not that the above didn't have spin, but the basic facts are there). I really don't know what good knowing too many news facts does anyhow. It's just good for small talk, like the weather. That's why I don't watch the news much. I see things on Yahoo news when going into my email, but I don't take much stock in what they say. I like going down below and reading all the nasty comments sometimes.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:09 am

My problem is the spin.

Even the major networks use the statistics game to push an agenda.

The example I heard over 15 years ago which is still used is the % vs volume scenario.

They use the volume if it helps their case.
ex: they say 2 million in a large study, as opposed to half of 1 per cent, which is the actual ratio.
They use the % if it helps their case.
ex: in a small study, they say over 50%, as opposed to actual amount of people which may be 230.

Even the facts can be manipulated and I have heard so many stories that lead with millions of people or over 50%, depending on which number furthers their cause the most.

This is the most obvious type of manipulation, but their are more.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:10 pm

Well, a statistical test can be valid even with a small sample, and not so valid with a large sample, it depends on how it was designed. Not many people have the expertise to determine if a test was designed correctly. Yes, both numbers in all cases would help.

I get sick of the media sensationalizing for ratings (nothing much new there), or being overly PC.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:34 am

I usually don't dispute the findings, just the way they are reported. Where the media uses the number that best proves their point. Sometimes they quote studies with only 30 or 40 participants and make it sound like it was a much larger study, but usually its just the statistics they use to their advantage.

They also use the term OVER 50% a lot. 51 to 49% or 52 to 48%, isn't really news, especially when the difference is less than the margin of error.

I too am getting tired of the political correctness angle. The media act like their is no racism and getting along is the norm, when in many cases its not. Especially with the older population.

My new pet peeve in the media is with minors. If a 17 year old is a victim, they show a picture of them when they were 14 and call them a kid. If they are the perpetrator, they show a mug shot and call them an adult. How wrong is that? They need to be consistent.

Getting back to the original thread, while both sides may have their problems, I don't think I can rely on the media to EXPLAIN IT to me.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:06 am

They create news stories. They even call them stories. You'll hear, "Here's Jason Jones with the story."
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Good point, Squarepeg, that's how they CYA.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:09 am

The Democrats have had their problems, but at this point I would have to say the Republican's take the prize for all time stupidity.

Like most people, I can see that not approving a budget because you want to overturn already approved legislation is stupid.

But that's not all. In addition to this stupid move, they are trying to put the spin on it that its the Democrats fault because the Dems won't negotiate.

This just shows how much out of touch the extreme right are and how much the rest of the Republican's fear them. It is because of this, even I have to conclude at this point the Republican party is broke. Which means, they are a joke to most American's.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:39 pm

Its been a while since anyone posted to this but I think the sentiment has been there up until election day, that the Republican party is broken.

2 weeks later people are saying how do we fix the Democratic party and not so worried about fixing the Republican party.

Kind of shows how the pendulum swings back and forth and how you never know how far and when it is going to go the other way.

In this case you are most vulnerable when things are going the best and least vulnerable when things are going the worst. I guess that's the case in most things that have to do with swings.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Politics