Would like to send thank you card to Barbara, where to?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Would like to send thank you card to Barbara, where to?

Postby NowIknow » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:24 pm

I would really like to thank Barbara..I just recently discovered this book, and things has changed.. starting from my live long guilt (I'm 40, living in Thailand) has disappeared. Since last month I sleep better, I could go back to swim cause I don't have to pressure myself to finish hundred of projects in my head. My health is better and I stopped feeling bad about my half-finished projects around the house. I feel great. :D

Among hundreds of interests, I realize that I love to make greeting card/paper art, which is one of the few things I remain to feel excited about for many years, unlike other projects.

I will send email to thank her, probably on her facebook. However, as my scanner day book has more and more entries , I would like to start my very first project from now on on Barbara's thank you card before any projects in the book.

If there is any place I could send the card to from Thailand and the card get to her, I would be thankful to know. :D

Thank you. :)
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Would like to send thank you card to Barbara, where to?

Postby Tituba » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:44 pm

An email would be appreciated by Barbara. Her home address is private. I'm sure she'd like hearing from you via email.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby NowIknow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:18 am

Thank you very much for your reply Tituba, I totally understand her privacy. I was thinking of may be an address of publishing company or agency. Just would like to also include her on the New year card list as a card-maker. I will definitely write an email to her, for me sometime making card it's easier than writing. :o

Grateful for her book always, carrying it around with me everywhere for months now, :D
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:02 am

BTW, I think this is a really nice idea! Good for you!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:13 am

I'm sure Barbara would love to get a card from you. This is her official snail mail address:

(Note from admin - I'm removing Barbara's address pending her approval)

She doesn't live in New York most of the time now, so it might take a while to reach her, but she should get it eventually.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:19 pm

I received an email from Barbara, who has approved releasing this address:

Barbara Sher
Box 20052
Park West Station
New York | NY | 10025
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby NowIknow » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:58 pm

Dear SquarePeg, Skannie, Tituba.... thank you so much :D . I'm working on the card right now and I'm determined to finish this one (unlike other card projects which are half-finished around my place). I just want to let Barbara know how grateful I’m that she wrote this book, which has unlocked me from chain of suffering I had been feeling all my life. Thanks again :D
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:15 am

I was notified of your postl! (I think when we updated the bbs some time ago, I stopped being notified of new posts but that magic has returned!)

And that means I just got your thank you right now, right here!

(All the same, I have my trusty assistant on the lookout in New York for your hand-made ((should I say 'heart-made?')) card, of course!! I look forward to seeing it.)

But you already gave me my thank you - and it's bigger than you might think (it means everything to me):

this book, which has unlocked me from chain of suffering I had been feeling all my life.

(That brought tears to my eyes, NowIKnow.)

Welcome home, fellow Scanner.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby NowIknow » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:21 am

Dear Barbara,

Oh wow!!!, it is such a thrill to get your reply. I am absolutely honored! You are the person behind those magical words in the book after all. What a wonderful feeling getting your words of acknowledgment, thank you so so much. :D

I’m so glad to have a chance to tell you how much this book meant to me.

Now I prefer to regard my life as “ life before the book” and “ life after the book”. I have been asking myself days and nights all my life “why am I being like this?”. So many times in my life I found myself in the mid of the night standing at the window looking out to the sky and asked this question over and over in my head and the pains this question made me feel.

Your book is indeed the answer I have been looking for. I meant it wholeheartedly when I said this book has unlocked the chains of suffering I have been feeling all my life. I was in tear knowing that you acknowledged my pain.I believe many people must have told you this so many times too.

I’ve been trying to practice all your advices in the book, they are all useful i.e. list all things I have done, de-size my project, enter scanner day book. All friends I met recently noticed my change. They mentioned that there is energy in my voice now instead of hopelessness in my voice before. Especially when I talked about this book. Your book explained most of my behaviors all my life, all my career decisions and my reasoning behind those decision. Those reasons I was wondering sometimes why they were different from other diver people. Now I can breathe freely thinking about those changes without shame.

To introduce myself my name is Pat (nickname of full name Pattawish), 42 y/o. I was born and live in Thailand. Though it was enjoyable to learn so many things when I was a child and was a top student of the class, I started noticing that I could not finish things since I was young. During my wonderful years in university, I directed many stage performances and one major play (designed the entire costume set) in the university festival, painted numerous event posters and signs and be most every event’s MC, life was wonderful then.

After graduating, I worked five years in the firm of my field of study, then the job started to demand for me to be a diver. When I found myself crying one morning before I went to work because of pain in my heart I could not understand, I then decided to change jobs to work in the social worker field. The job was with half salary I earned before. It then became the pattern of my career movement since, I later got into a very good high-paid job again, then left it for half salary job which gave me more time again.

I’ve been painting, drawing, building miniatures, and made 3 D pop up cards mainly (aside from cooking, party organizing..etc.). I never knew what “nothing to do” means. Ideas kept popping up in my head on everything I saw. At some point I stop browsing art on google since I think it would generate more ideas. I survived only with the support and consolation of my serious diver partner for 12 years, for which I’m thankful. :)

I have also sent a separate email to thank you. My apology for taking time to compose the reply and email, though I thought I could learn faster than others, I’m still not as fast in reading and writing English language as my native language. This is despite my 20 years working in international organizations and 12 years of relationship with my American partner. However your book clarified to me the reason for it, I did read a lot of Thai language books, almost on daily basis. But there are many Thai books on various matters, as a scanner I’m interested in many matters. That left no time for me to read enough English books and practice enough English writng (other that what work requires me to) to write it outright. Once in a while I write up thing in English and my partner would correct my grammar, mispelling.

Thanks again for everything and for your wonderful books. The book is amazing, you and your book save my life. I’m so grateful. :D

Wishing you all the best and happiness in your life as you have given me my life’s best solution and happiness.

Sincerely,
Pat (Pattawish)
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby emspace » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:56 am

Wow, Pat. I love your success story! So glad you’re feeling at ease now, knowing there’s nothing at all wrong with you.

Even though I read Barbara’s book I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was, more than 15 years ago, it took until 3 years ago for me to finally accept that being a Scanner has been really awesome and I wouldn’t trade it in to be a Diver for anything. And in the last 3 years, I’ve sorted out how to make being a Scanner work for me at the company I work for. I’m lucky that I work for an employer who can understand what being a Scanner means and why it can be an asset to them.

I also love that you’re into pop-up cards! I’ve been making these, too! So much fun.

Welcome to your Scanner renaissance, Pat!
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby NowIknow » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:29 pm

Dear emspace,

Thank you so much for your comment. After 42 years of carring the burden of guilt, I must say it's the best feeling right now.

I'm not sure if I read another book than "Refuse to choose", I would feel this much. It is because the book "Refuse to choose" chapter 1, which described the scene when Elaine walked into the room and what came through her mind, hit me like a thunderstruck. My mouth opened in disbelief, my heart was pounding in excitement. I could not believe what I had read, Elaine is me, exactly me. Every word describing her thoughts which came through her mind when looking at each half-finished project, is almost the exact same words in my head (in my own language) when I walked into my condo and looked at each, among many, half-finished project. I had to sit down and wait for my heart to stop pounding hard in order to continue reading. It was just an amazing feeling but it was a bit too much to comprehend. I have no doubt at all that I'm a scanner.

I hope I would be as lucky as you with my employer, and hope he could see my scanner charactor as an asset too :)

I love love pop up card, glad to hear that you love it as well. I remember the fristtime I saw Robert Sabuda pop up book. It was one of those miraculous moment.

Thanks again,
Pat
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners