W: Write/Photograph Unique Jobs O: How to earn $ from it

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W: Write/Photograph Unique Jobs O: How to earn $ from it

Postby Flacker » Tue May 17, 2016 6:35 pm

I could use a good brainstorm!!!

I am a writer and photographer who is simply intrigued by people with unique jobs and hobbies. Lately, I've been approaching people I find at random and through friends and photographing a "day in their life" and writing a short story about them. I've photographed an ambulatory veterinarian, a food truck owner, a farmer, and the owner of a green house. And I've got several more people lined up. I've been doing this just for fun, and I absolutely LOVE it! Love it as in I could spend day in and day out doing it, and I'm having a really hard time focusing on my "day job". :D

I'd love to brainstorm ways to turn this personal project into an income stream. (I've been published in several magazines before, but am just not excited about writing/photographing for an editor any more. I want to tell these people's stories the way I see them and experience them.) And besides writing articles or selling the photos here and there, I just can't seem to come up with ideas on how to make money off of this passion of mine. I understand that's ok too. But I'd really love to build a community around this whole "vicarious life" idea and "some day" be able to earn some money from it.

All ideas welcome!!!
Flacker
Flacker
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: W: Write/Photograph Unique Jobs O: How to earn $ from

Postby SquarePeg » Sat May 21, 2016 8:41 pm

The Hartford Courant (America's oldest continuously published newspaper) ran a weekly series on unusual local jobs for a while. It had more text than photographs. But now that the newspaper is online, they can feature extra images as a online supplement to the printed article. I imagine an editor might be involved, even with an independent contributor.

You could also publish a book. Oh wait, you wanted an income stream. Never mind. ;)

I'll post again if I come up with anything more.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:25 pm

How about formatting them into a series of children's books - showing kids what the day in the life of a _____ is like?
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Flacker » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:01 pm

Thanks for both these ideas! Great ones that I'm going to explore a little more.
Flacker
Flacker
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Idea Parties