Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:54 am

Hi, Jennifer,

:D
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:56 am

Hey, it looks like most of us are on line at the same time.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Hello, Elaine! :D
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:12 pm

Jennifer,

What brought you to the boards? And is there anything we can support you with? (Feel free to ignore the last question if I'm being too nosy.)
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:12 pm

Elaine you can go to Jennifer's thread, Wish to see mountains / ocean with family for first time. I'm sure you'll have good suggestions for her.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:28 am

Thanks, Inspire. Elaine, yes, I have a post in the wishes with some obstacles I am having trouble overcoming.

How about you? Do you need any help or have any current ongoing projects?
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:36 am

Jennifer,

You can help support Elaine's goals in August 2016 Steppen', thread in Success stories, plus read the progress of her novel in Searching for Kansas in the Becoming Writer's and Speakers forum.

And i hope you both know you can click on Active topics at the top of the Boards page to find active threads.

I need to get back to my project, guys!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:29 pm

Hi, Jennifer,

I'll check wishes and obstacles.

I'm writing, and my wish is for people to read what I write. My biggest obstacle is that it's really hard for a self-published author to get PR. And my biggest obstacle at his moment is health issues in my family which have to take priority.

My books are "Temporary Address" - serious book. and "The Molly Chronicles" - a book written my my dog.

My PR projects at the moment are: I'm writing a humorous speech for Toastmasters humorous speech contest. It'll be about Molly. And I'm trying to shoot Molly's video. I have a blog, but must admit I haven't posted on it in a while.

And I'm trying to do a little writing each day.

Nice to meet you, Jennifer.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:44 pm

Okay, guys. Back to my project.

So far, I've put in 17 hours. The scarf was first and it's obvious how long it's been since I've done this work. My gauge was all over the place. For those who don't know what that is, it's what determines how wide or long a piece is. Mine kept wavering back and forth between 4-5 inches. Sometimes, I had to pull some out and redo it. It makes the edge of the scarf look wavy instead of straight. By the time I add the edge and the embroidery it won't be too obvious. But if I were working with an editor, they'd notice. I NOTICE. I'm not happy but it will be okay in the end.

The crochet part of both the scarf and the side of the hat are almost finished. I have to do the edges and then the top of the hat, then sew the top to the hat. I'm so sick of the project I just can't do anymore today. I'll work on it tomorrow again and over the weekend.

The embroidery looks intimidating even though I'm the one who created it! They are leaves, built up by outlining first, then filling in, then adding a top layer in the shape of the leaf. Hard to describe -- just know that there are 3 layers to each leaf.

After I get it done and mailed, I'll write and explain why I was even willing to take this on in the first place.

For now I need to just keep going and I need the focus here to be on me and my project so I can get this done on time.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:01 pm

Sounds like you have lots of things going on, Elaine. I will stay tuned to your posts.

Wow, Inspire! That is a long time. I think I would need a break, too. But it sounds like you've made great progress.

It sounds like it will be beautiful. I only know a few stitches of crochet, and I have not gotten the gauge thing down yet. Or maybe it is just that I cannot make even rows. In any case, I think what you are doing is impressive and wonderful. I bet the embroidery will be beautiful!
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Inspire, The project sounds so beautiful. Is there any way you could put less pressure on yourself? (yes, I do it too.) On the other hand, this IS the place to vent, so vent away. But I hope somewhere in there you had fun. I know you had the stage 1 high.

Jennifer, I couldn't find your wish. I'll look again. I vaguely remember answering a post that might have been yours. Anyway, I'll look again.

Me. When I was a kid, I cried about everything, and got teased a lot. So now I never cry. And that sucks. I just walk around like a piece of granite. Anyway, I remembered the song, "We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun. But the wine and the song like the seasons have all gone." And it reminded me of our property up at the lake. It's a place where dogs run free, and kids get dirty. There's a pond for swimming, and parties with thirty people, hot dogs, and mimosas. And you build and create anything and everything, like turning a chicken coop into a house, (before the days of building codes) or making a tree house and painting your walls to look like the Grand Canyon. And now it's a sad place with hospital beds and walkers where people go to die, and nothing works. And I thought of the song and began to cry, which felt sad and good. It's my husband's garden of Eden, and he's dealing with horrible stuff, and not getting any sleep. That's really where I am now. I need to be kinder and smarter than I am now.

So that's mostly where I am now. I'll try to write and video and post, but a lot of issues get in the way.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi Elaine and Jennifer,

I keep trying to tactfully shift your conversation to your own threads but with no luck! In order to find each others threads, go to the top of the Boards and click on "View Active Topics".

To quickly list them off the top of my head (and the two of you can correct if I'm wrong):

Jennifer -- IDEA PARTIES -- Wish to see the mountain/ocean with family for the first time.
Elaine -- SUCCESS STORIES -- Elaine, the writer!............ and August 2016 Steppers (or steppin/)
BEGINNING WRITERS AND SPEAKERS -- Searching for Kansas

I really need my thread to stay on point with design, and not get distracted trying to follow your conversations! Thanks!

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:34 am

Oops, sorry.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:04 am

Inspire,

How is it coming? I know you were going to work on it this weekend. Did you get the edges and top of the hat finished?

Jennifer
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi Jennifer,

I almost called you Jen! I know these days people really don't like it when someone shortens their name!

I was going to work on the project, but I just can't face it right now. I'm taking the weekend off from it. I'll try again tomorrow. I think I really need a break. I've cancelled almost everything this week, so I have no excuses for not getting it done.

Thanks for asking.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories