September 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

September 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:30 am

Welcome to the September Stepping Thread. Set your goals, break them down into steps, and make your dreams come true. Hour by hour, day by day, week by week, state your steps and we'll support you and cheer you on.

"To get through the hardest journey we need take only one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping" – Chinese Proverb
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: September 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:36 am

It's been about 1.5 years since I was active here. It's time to start stepping again. When I was here last, I had two areas of my life I wanted to resurrect - art and music. I bombed back then, and gave up. But here I am again with the same two goals.

My weekly goal is to do one hour related to art, one hour related to music, and one hour related to getting the bedroom in shape. The reason the bedroom is important, is because it's where I will do artwork. Right now, it's still piled with stuff and can't be used.

When I say one hour, I mean ANYTHING that is related to art or music. I don't care what it is, as long as I do something to move forward in these areas. I'll report in here weekly to share what I've gotten done.

Okay, the rest of you Steppers. What's up for this month?

Inspire Success
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:32 am

Thanks for starting us off, Inspire Success.

Oops. Off to the dentist. Will post later.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:49 pm

I could use an attitude adjustment right now. I'm keeping up the writing, but slowly. And Molly's video seems like it'll never happen. I haven't blogged in ages.

My MIL needs care, and my writing has to be put on hold some of the time. But it's not at a standstill. Some days she's in a lot of pain. For a while, the doctor had her on Tylenol for pain. (Wussy pain medication.) and the hospital bed we asked for was taking it''s time getting to her. Hopefully both of those issues are resolved, so things should be better now.

Can I send a video with a text?

A secondary goal - My car is fifteen years old, and runs like a champ. But it's white, and hard to find in the parking lot. I want to paint something on the trunk to make it easier to find.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote: I'm keeping up the writing, but slowly. ... my writing has to be put on hold some of the time. But it's not at a standstill.
Molly's video seems like it'll never happen.

Hey, with everything going on in your life, YOU'RE STILL WRITING! Amazing! Keep going -- no matter how slow (remember the bunny and the turtle story).

Molly's video -- you said, "If Inspire Success can get her design project done, then I can get my Molly video done, too".

I'm not done yet. But I'm moving forward -- slowly --but moving. If I can get this F%@#+@%& design project done it will be a miracle. Thanks for your support with it on my design thread. I have to remind myself I put my design thread in the Success Stories Forum for a reason. Grrrrrr....

Keep writing. We're all waiting on the Kansas thread to see what happens next.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:35 pm

Hey ya'll, hello September.

I'm pooped. It's a little past 10 and as soon as I'm done with my catch up I'm turning in.

Got my article done and sent off as planned. And, yes, my dreams were a huge help finishing the last 300 words.

Somewhere Steinbeck remarked I write a lot of novels. some of it gets on paper. Same with this article.

Elaine, hold steady. Ann Lamott at one point had a crappy job and was raising her son alone. This was the pre-success Ann. She committed herself to being a writer and after thinking about it she decided that if she could wring out of her busy life one sentence a day she could keep that license. She did.

My goals for the month: Keep getting more reviews or journalism done. I have a pair to do back to back next week, but I'm going to get a lot of the background material drafted early. I've done this before when my open time was well ahead of the due date and around the due date I had less open time. Both plays are well known so that makes it a lot easier.

I had thought I would propose another paid article about the design festival I'm attending for many days tween the 10th and 23rd. But on further thought I see I'll be fully down in my biorhythms & that it doesn't add up. I'll be about as low they ever get. So mostly between events I'll rest.

I have a fresh life challenge in that several of my closest friends have died in the past couple of years. It's very, very hard to get new friends at my age (62) but I'm going to make a go of it. I'll start making connections with people soon.

Here's the best writing on friendship, ever: http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/12/10-types- ... -part.html

Peace, out,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:26 am

Hi, Everyone,

Lynx, congrats on the articles.

I checked the link on friendship. Yes, he nailed it.

And I so sorry about your friends passing away. I hope you find ways to connect with new friends. And yes it's harder to do as we get older. I'd be interested in how it goes for you, as I'm in a similar position.

People complain that, with technology, kids are more likely to text each other than talk to each other. I hope technology adds to what we have, but doesn't replace it. I truly enjoy my internet friends. But there's nothing like talking to someone in person.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:30 pm

Leftover from August.

I’ve been taking steps, mostly – but not documenting and reinforcing them. Still way, way better than June in writing. It’s hard to compare exactly to July because I’m doing more editing before getting around to posting them in self-made gaming forum.

In August, got some more cubic yards of room cleaning, and going to an informal gathering of artists/crafters (Diane has art play dates with some of them) for an annual show. I am not yet arting, but I provide tech support and lugging heavy things around support.

Lynx, interesting organization method with word tables.. I’ve been fitfully trying things that don’t particular work (alternating Too Little “what was I doing?” and Too Much). This sounds like a useful tool.

My brother Bruce gets more of his writing done in his head than I do. Most recently (this very summer) did an 1100 word outline for a 5000 word project. I’ve never been good at outlines and would usually need several words per word of finished result.

Hoping to improve my ratio with practice.

Also learning Libre Office, and liking it. It’s free, open source (though I really don’t want to mess around with the code) loads up a lot faster the Microsoft Office, and I can Take It With Me on a flash drive.

Inspire: Thanks for having three goals to step with. I was having trouble deciding what to give top attention to (What me? Show Scanner-like tendencies?)

I need to be getting from grumping and daydreaming to actually looking for better work.

For self-care/having FUN – I need to keep on with writing stuff for the online game forum. Getting more people involved, and conversations are going on and on nicely. More lively discussions than lead balloons.

So, trying 3 things a day:

One: Good-enough-jobpquest
Do something – anything! –each day towards getting better work.
Stuff that counts:
Throwing money at the problem, assembling Interviewing costume.
Investing time in the project: Checked out books from library both on job hunting and on upgrading some specific skills that I’d like to get paid to use. Well, I probably would have gotten the books on nifty software any “Visual Storying with D3” D3 is “data driven document.”
Studying and practicing for work-type-stuff would count.
Postponing updating resume or LinkedIn profile or reanimating the lapsed lyndonbaugh.com until I get clearer on just what I want to do. This brings me to:

Two: Book Club
LIVE THE LIFE YOU LOVE book club “.. will help you find that goal (if you don’t know what it is yet) and it will make sure you are working on it, well on your way to achieving that goal, by the end of the book club.” I’m, uhm, 6 weeks behind. It will be challenging as pondering and actually doing the exercises takes time to ponder and actually do.

Three: Have Fun! At the moment this is writing stuff for the game/hobby/alternate history thingie with friends. I’m hosting a party and people are showing up!

A Very, Very Successful Month would be to have famed backwards planning flowcharts for workquest and gamestuff, and get caught up on book club before it’s mostly over.

To be continued.

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:44 pm

So September is starting off with a bang.

Hi, Lyndon. Good luck with your projects.

I started off the month with some writing and some goofing off. I have this image of me doing a week of marathon writing, but I must confess to a little writing and a lot of goofing off so far.

Question: I have a video on my phone that I want to send to a friend. I don't want to use You Tube, which the logical way to send it. It's a video not a photo. Can I send it to her via text message? Or some other way?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:08 pm

someone help.

I passed over something on my keyboard, and the print is really small. I can barely read it. How do I make it bigger?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:13 pm

depends on your computer and browser (if it's an interweb thing).

On my Mac, I can type these two keys together to englarge on Firefox, Chrome, & Safari: CMD +

To shrink I type CMD -

I think it's similar on PC, CNTL +
And, CNTL -

For other programs, look for the Zoom command in their drop down boxes. Set it back to 100% or even bigger if you like.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Elaine, I did that recently, too. My friend said use zoom and I did. But now I can't find where the zoom is! If I can find it, I'll let you know. It bugs me because if I do it again I won't be able to zoom it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:00 pm

At the top you'll see "File" then "View". Click on view and at the bottom you'll see "zoom". Let me know if that works.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:27 am

ctrl + worked. Thanks. The font was small only on Barbara's Boards. It was normal on everything else????? Anyway control + worked. That's the key if it happens to anyone else.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

5 walking and creativity

Postby Lynx » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:49 am

Hi,

A mention of the British travel writer (who lived past 100!) Freya Stark led me to New Yorker piece about her. Then I clicked on one of those right side links and read about walking and thinking.

Great Piece: http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/ ... s-us-think

What is it about walking, in particular, that makes it so amenable to thinking and writing? The answer begins with changes to our chemistry. When we go for a walk, the heart pumps faster, circulating more blood and oxygen not just to the muscles but to all the organs—including the brain. Many experiments have shown that after or during exercise, even very mild exertion, people perform better on tests of memory and attention. Walking on a regular basis also promotes new connections between brain cells, staves off the usual withering of brain tissue that comes with age, increases the volume of the hippocampus (a brain region crucial for memory), and elevates levels of molecules that both stimulate the growth of new neurons and transmit messages between them.

Walk on!
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories