October 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

October 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:20 am

October already.

Commit to completing some steps each day towards your goal. How many steps is up to you. We'll cheer you on.

In the spirit of the season, I wish you BOO tiful art, hauntingly spirited writing, and witchful thinking. Don't be batty. Stop cattin' around and let's get steppin

(I'm not apologizing for the candy corny jokes.)
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: October 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:11 am

I too hate bureaucracies.

Re Wells Fargo. What Microsoft did is so much worse. Why isn't anyone complaining about them? My husband and I are victims of both scams. In the case of Wells Fargo, we have a $25 savings account we didn't really want. In the case of Microsoft, I have two upgrades I didn't want. The first cost $60 and the loss of the use of my color printer. The second cost $159 to remove the virus from my computer, two days time reporting identity theft, and probably a plunge in my credit rating because my credit card was declined. And my happiness took a big hit with the Microsoft scam and the id theft.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:53 am

I wish I could write a novel in two days, and have ten million people reading it by the end of the week. Without actually doing any work.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

1 WF & MS

Postby Lynx » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:06 am

Hi Elaine,

I was dinged by WF thing. I needed a safe deposit box. But to get it I had to open a savings account with a checking account, and I had to insist on not getting the credit card or they would have issued one as well. Four accts instead of one.

Re: MS, look at the class action sites and attorney generals. Complain to the FTC. YOU may be the among the people talking about it. Take MS to small claims for expenses and refund and reloading the old OS. And for a down payment on a Mac.

Partially between doing stuff and cruising. When I make a thoro list of things to do, I feel overwhelmed. Without the list I miss things. Go ahead, try to win.

Oh, call to the Obamacare customer rep, after a long time on hold, turned out good for me. My income was correctly recalculated and life goes on with no change in coverage or premiums.

Okay, I play a game with myself, each todo item buys so much fun time.

Todo: Start my Fever (Wally Shawn's play) research
Duration: One hour
Buys me: 30 min looking into Suzan-Lori Parks's project at the Public in NYC

Todo: 2 loads of laundry & turn mattress
Duration: mixed times total about 30 minutes
buys me: adding free music events on my calendar (30 minutes)

That's about all between routines and commitments for the day.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:01 pm

Help! Suffocating under nine-foot pile of laundry! Must dig self out!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:41 am

If Iived in the days when you washed your laundry in the creek, I would never have worn clean laundry.

thanks for the the microsoft info, Lynx. It's good to know that someone besides me cares. And I'm so snowed under, I'm not ready to tackle another fight right now, but if someone's doing a class action, maybe all I have to do is sign in.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

3 msft class action

Postby Lynx » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi Windows 10 users,

Found this with links: http://betanews.com/2016/07/28/microsof ... -upgrades/

Myself, spent a day at a meeting of writers and owners of a start-up magazine focused on the over 55 set (I'm in that group). They also treated for lunch, so it was a great day just for that. But the group was engaging and smart! etc. so I also enjoyed their company.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:17 am

Checked the link, Lynx, :lol: That's me all right.

I know I shouldn't complain, but this is the place to complain, so:

Yesterday: Set off my burglar alarm when I drove up to the lake. They notified my husband who told the alarm co. to go ahead and sent the cops to check. It was the first time I tried it so I figured the problem was probably me. Had to be home by 8 pm or the alarm co. would notify the cops again. Got stuck in traffic out in the boonies where commuters don't drive. I mean really stuck as in I wasn't going to make 8 pm deadline. Couldn't find cell phone to notify alarm co. Stressful. Got home at 7:58. No burglar, thank goodness. But found two piles of doggie _____ right in front of my front door. Really pooped! Noticed that I had tracked doggie ______ through the living room. Found third pile of doggie _________ that had been stepped in just a little farther back. Said bad words. Screamed bad words. Hope I didn't damage psyches of local kids. Scraped dog _______ of my shoe on the steps leading to front door. Decided that was a bad place to be scraping shoe. Cleaned floor. Laundry is everywhere. Made a lot of comfort food and watched TV. kitchen is a disaster. And I have stuff to take care of or I will have bad consequences to deal with. I'm sick of _________ .
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi

Elaine, what a string of mess. Now, I Love Lucy would make an episode out of it and sell advertising to Mr Clean, Pine-Sol, & Formula 409. They would clean up from the cleaning up.

Us mere mortals are less able to "monetize" our disruptions. Hope the comfort food really did comfort.

Myself ... keeping steady on goals this week (mostly getting places when I promised I would). I'm noticing some issues drifting without attention and other things approach do or drop dates.

But, I'm having a good time going to free events so the idea of work and effort has a temporary back seat.

I'm also not a procrastinator, so the 'first call' alarm should ring soon and then I'll rope in the play-man and get the work-man fired up.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:54 pm

In the LIVE THE LIFE YOU LOVE book club I'm up to the chapter on "Clear the decks for action" and on clutter delaying things. Just got up to finishing the mid-August exercise.

On the other hand I did over a thousand words today on that so far, and have more words eager to get out. It's better than the majority of my Camp Nanowrimo days.

Game is inching right along now, having interesting (to us fans) discussions on what to emphasize, mechanics on how to do it, and a some bonus chit chat. Actually its inching around at usually at least my Camp Nanowrimo daily average, so that was a very successful experiment.

In LIVE THE LIFE YOU LOVE, as part of establishing her credentials for discussing clutter, Barbara wrote "I love to create systems for organizing my complicated life, but I usually change them in the middle and forget what I was doing."

While I don't forget what I was doing with the rules develop -- or as we say in our jargon "game mechanics" -- I've been in a grand discovery phase and a "Oooh that was neat! Can I put a bit of that in this?" It's not deliberately inspired by Rube Goldberg, and will get simpler. It's not yet up to "Version 1.0 -- ready to play! Some surprise bugs expected." My goal for "version 0.1" is to take it for a test drive this weekend and the 0.1 test will be passed when I spend more time using it than stopping and re-re-re-writing it. Version 0.2 is when I get it in a condition where the instructions make sense to someone who isn't me. Version 0.3 is when several other creative people also spend more time using it than tinkering with it ....

October goals:
The most important October goal is to catch up with the book club while it's still running. My distractions kept me from getting best possible use from it (when we'd have ongoing discussions) but I can still get pretty good use and fun out of it.

Other goals are to inch towards being prepared for jobquest. Both my mother and my sweetheart want to buy me stuff to help with my interview costume. (Mom uses more dignified terms.) I some have a couple things to wrap up nicely with a metaphorical bow to be in good position to pass on. Also I keep seeing postings for jobs paying 50% more that I think "I could do that!" and getting recruiter emails for those, and for those paying 100% more where I think "I could NOT do those." This is encouraging.

I'm not putting a deliberate game goal, as it seems to have spun up to self-sustaining. Getting questions, responses, and spreadsheets with charts and graphs from a friend in the Australian Bureau of Statistics "I like this step increase best for income modeling."

Lynx Is start-up magazine for those 55 started up enough to read? Interested in being 55+ (I now have years of practice!) and starting stuff up.

To be continued! Aiming for to be continued tomorrow, October 6th.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:19 am

Lyndon, you overachiever! congrats.

Lynx, you're funny.

Me - I AM a procrastinator. I got a bunch of things on my list done yesterday, including cleaning off the front steps. And my writing is happening almost every day, which is very good. I got a great idea from Square Peg, and used it. It's in the "Searching for Kansas" thread. So that's about it for me. More writing and cleaning today.

I'm in a better mood, and it sounds like things are going smoothly for you other steppers as well.

:D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:38 am

My computer claims that my novel is damaged. :cry: Fortunately, I e-mailed a copy of it to myself a few days ago, so I didn't lose a lot.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Elaine: In regards to procrastination, I keep meaning to see if there is a Procrasinator's Club nearby, but haven't gotten around to it.

Lyndon: Missed book club yesterday, loooooong day, but got a good bit done today.

Follow-up with perfectionist endocrinologist. The Most Important Thing is as close to perfect as we can get from blood tests and ultrasound scan.
The second most important thing (synthetic thyroid replacement dose) is almost perfect -- doctor worked with calculator and I'm to take an extra 1/2 of one of my once-a-day pills once a week. So a 7% change. Sometimes she's done 3 or 4% changes. I like the precision. Third most important thing is to get more vitamin D, which is not very complicated. And I'm up to "come back next year."

Looking forward to the long weekend near us soon.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:48 pm

Lyndon wrote:In regards to procrastination, I keep meaning to see if there is a Procrasinator's Club nearby, but haven't gotten around to it.

:lol:
You did mean that to be funny didn't you?! Procrastinating about finding a procrastinator group?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:57 am

Lyndon, I like your endocrinologist.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories