February 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

February 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:00 am

"To get through the hardest journey we need take only one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping" – Chinese Proverb

If you're new to the Boards, please feel free to join us here. We'd love to support you in moving, step by step, towards your goals and dreams. You can set daily, weekly, monthly goals -- whatever works best for you. Break them down into baby steps and we'll hold you accountable, cheer you on, and celebrate your successes, one day at a time.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: February 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:02 am

I'll stop by soon to post my February goals and to review how I did with my January goals.

Good luck, Steppers. Hope you have a successful month in February.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 pm

Good job, Inspire for steppin' with all of your goals. I'm thinking about all your goals. Especially the lip reading, which I think took the most courage.

The reason I say this is that there are things I need to do, and I'm stuck - frozen solid. The retirement board thinks that they overpaid me. So they want to cut my pension by $800 per month. :cry: On top of that, they say that I owe them eight years of over-payments which amounts to $107,000. This includes interest, of course. Statute of limitations is 7 years, but they don't seem to care about that. I think the Union is representing us. By the way, this is mostly a rant. I started to write a letter to the retirement board. (The hearing is Feb. 8th.) Oh, there are eleven of us that the retirement board says got too much money. My husband says I should talk to a lawyer. My head is swimming. The letter I started to write sounds a lot like this post - jumping from one topic to another.

I kind of hate to complain, Inspire, because I know there was a time when you were really hurting. And even if they take everything they want to, I'll be okay. Poorer, but okay. (They'll take the $107,000 out of my checks at $800 per month, on top of the $800 that they'll cut back on .) Anyway, I finally did something - I made phone calls to three of the other people who have the same problems. I had to leave voice messages, but I want to find out what the Union is doing, and what, if anything I should do.

Thanks for listening/reading.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi my Feb steppers,

Elaine, do all you can, call everyone, etc. I'd track down that case with the police pensions and find out who represented them and get in touch. Lawyers are extremely helpful.

Statute of Limitations apply to crimes. You're innocent. You didn't set the rates, you didn't do the actuarial tables, you didn't cut those checks. All you did was your job. Don't let them con you into thinking otherwise. I've been pondering what a sense of innocence means, and this is an example when shoring up that feeling will help get your anger and righteous defenses in gear.

Oh, Inspire, thanks for starting this month's thread. Yes, the most yucky of your goals is the loss of hearing/lip reading one. Great courage.

Myself, the article finally got posted. I really don't like how it stretched out and will need to work out a clearer schedule with my editor the next time. Next step is to send invoice (probably Thurs or Fri).

I made the trip to the capitol to watch a hearing on the laws I've just written about. No big surprises, which is sad.

Mostly my goals right now are to keep a low profile as my biorhythms bottom out. I think today is the first of their slow rise, so steady and slow for another few days. Yesterday took a lot of out me—I slept from about 8 PM to 7:30 AM. Only got up to go to the bathroom and brush my teeth. Skipped dinner.

Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi, Steppers,

Inspire, Lynx, congrats on taking steps.

Me - I finally got my head out of the sand. No, I didn't do anything wrong. So I'm going to present at the hearing. I'm working on my presentation. I finally got hold of one of the other hazmats and he helped a lot. He said two of the other hazmats have lawyers. I'll do the presentation to the Board by myself. Then if I have to go to court, I'll see if I can get one of the other lawyers to represent me. That way, I don't have to find a lawyer by Wednesday. My friend told me what to say in my presentation, and he said, when I got it written, he'd look it over for me.

If I I lose, I'm out $107,000 plus my pension gets cut by an extra $800 each month. If I win with a lawyer, I'm out about $30,000. If I have to get a lawyer, I'll see if I can tack on a harassment claim added on. The group leader had told me, "Women don't belong on emergency response." He bullied me, and I finally quit.

My friend, Christine says it's like going to a nuclear war armed with a knife.

Okay, happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:54 pm

Wow, Elaine. I finally read the details of what you're dealing with. Good luck sounds like a really wimpy thing to say, but I can't think of anything else. I don't have any practical advice to share.

How does the statute of limitations work with your situation?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:04 pm

Thanks, Inspiresuccess,

California's statute of limitations is four years. The memorandum of understanding, which is like our contract with the County says that the retirement boards has ten years from the day that they discover a problem in which to take action. However, they are also supposed to resolve problems withing a timely manner. Eight years is not timely. I assume that they're granted 10 years for cases of fraud where they have to spend a lot of time digging through old time sheets.

this whole thing isn't fair, but then life isn't fair.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:14 pm

Lynx, you mentioned that statute of limitations is only for crimes. Not in CA. A creditor is allowed 4 years to pursue collection of a debt. At the end of 4 years they have to stop any attempt to collect. The person still owes the debt, but the creditor can't attempt to collect. However, if the person with the debt makes the mistake of paying even a penny of the debt, the 4 years starts all over again. I know this from first hand experience.

Elaine, it sounds like in your situation, for some reason, the 4 year statute doesn't apply. Am I understanding that correctly?

It sounds like you're looking into all possible approaches to this -- getting info, talking to other people who are also dealing with it, checking out the actual costs of things including the possible need to pay for a lawyer in the future. It makes a lot of sense to hire a lawyer who has represented someone else in the same situation assuming they do a good job and get a good result. I think it's brave of you to represent yourself in the beginning. I'm glad you have your friend who can go over that with you.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, especially with everything else going on in your life. The last thing you need is one more thing to deal with. But you've taken the bull by the horns. I chose to use that cliche because that's the image that came up for me -- there you are, walking up to the bull, glaring into it's eyes with a "I dare you to screw around with me" stare, taking a big heaving sigh, grabbing the horns, and flipping it down on the ground with a tricky surprise martial arts move and down it goes with a surprised look on it's face. Yay! Go, Elaine!

Lynx and I are cheering you on. You go, girl.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:55 am

Hi folks,

Inspire, of course, there are lots of statues of limitations. It seems the system is acting like the pensioners are culpable. I said it sharply like that to invoke in Elaine a shock of being falsely accused.

My partner will be traveling with our beloved laptop so much of tonight and tomorrow is looking for files and backing up. I can of course send a email and she can send back a file if I can describe where to find it or how to search well enough.

One thing I need to always remember is to export my browser bookmarks.

Going to a long form journalism workshop tomorrow. Might be interesting.

I'm writing here for the first time that I am drafting a type of credo for our challenging times. I am getting into too many quick conversations which leave me drained because nearly everyone wants these exchanges to end on a down beat. "That's not me, and that's not my horse" (an odd Russian proverb, but now I think I see how it could be used).

My cover is that I am working of something that is vital to our collective future and too much distraction slows my work.

I also need to read The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck. And reread Vaclav Havel's The Power of the Powerless.

Maybe Fahrenheit 451.

“Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were heading for shore.”
― Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

To the shore,
Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Lynx, it's exactly like being falsely accused. They are accusing the pensioners of working extra hours during their last year in order to get bigger retirement checks.

Inspire, there's not really much you can add to this. My friend Christine says it's like I'm in a nuclear war and I'm armed with a knife. (Christine should be a writer.)
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:17 am

Elaine, as part of your settlement proposals, I would ask for the state to pay your attorney fees.

I just made a great discovery. Eureka! I needed to move my firefox bookmarks to another computer. I hate this, as all the stored passwords need to be carefully kept in a separate program, and each time I want to use a site I'd have to look up the login info. Turns out, there's a way to copy the whole bookmarks shebang, with password included! Just had to :search:

Mostly not much booked today, Awww. Partner traveling w/o me for nine days. Somewhere Judith Viost has written about the freedom when her S.O. was out of town. The freedom to simply decide and act without conflict, confusion, or compromise. Or something like that. If anyone knows that quote I'd be happy to get it right.

I'm in a fresh place. Months ago I'd taken probably an hour determined to find that quote somehow on the web. Now, I took about 10 minutes and then let it go.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:42 am

More bad stuff happening. Yesterday, I had to put Molly to sleep. She was 15 years old. I spent about five hours reading and re-reading "The Molly Chronicles." Saturday and Sunday she couldn't get to her feet without help, but could stagger around and didn't seem to be in a lot of pain. Monday morning she was having trouble breathing and was hurting. I had pain pills which seemed to get the pain down to bearable. (You know your dog's in trouble when you put the pill on her tongue and she just swallows it.) My vet makes house calls. She agreed that Molly was at that stage and put her down.

I have to get ready for my presentation before the Retirement Board tomorrow. Life goes on.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:59 am

Hi Elaine,

If Molly were human you might get a delay for a death in the family. Alas.

Grieving with you.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:19 am

Elaine,

I'm so sorry about Molly.

You have so much on your shoulders these days -- your MIL, Molly, this hearing, and more.

I wish there was something I could do to help.

Know that you're in my heart and prayers.

Love, Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:12 pm

I'll take all the prayers I can get. Thanks, Inspire.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories