June 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

June 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Lynx » Wed May 31, 2017 10:54 am

Hello regulars, visitors, lucky lurkers,

This thread is for receiving and offering support for those steps of whatever size that advance us towards our goals. Sometimes a step might be huge, say submitting that application at last. Or quite small, perhaps simply picking up your instrument for 30 seconds.

June has plenty of days, and we all would like to think at the start of the month we'd put each of them to hard work. We also know it's not so simple. If you get started and face an interruption, no shame or blame, keep checking in and let us know when you're back on course.

Tripping and falling are part of what makes living real
Rising and reaching are what make you capture the ideal
Don't sit there mourning
Get up rejoicing
It is a new day...
with a will, there is a way!
― Manuela George-Izunwa
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: June 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed May 31, 2017 7:46 pm

good quote!

I got four of my steps done so far. :D
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:53 am

I may be a regular lurker.

Encouraged by writing. I often hit my higher Camp Nanowrimo word count.
Still somewhat pinballing through the day, but diving for more writing moments before careening off on something else.

Game project is in “Turn Zero” setup. Some people I asked are on vacation, one is running for mayor and needs to win or lose primary before he can commit. Friends referred people I hadn’t met before – which is part of the point of that exercise.

Work involves much more “opportunity to practice patience” hours than usual, -- which is good, as I have an aptitude towards boring details at time. A correspondent said about that phrase “I honestly didn't know if you meant 'boring as in digging deep into something" or "boring as in an interest in things other people have no interest in", but I guess I have a bit of both of those too!”

Reading about writing. One suggestion was “Go to bed three hours earlier, get up three hours earlier and use those three hours writing.” While that would be a lot of practice, -- I’m often on the freeway 3 hours before bedtime.

But things are going well enough on home, commute, work and health fronts that shifting a half hour from night “just one more page …” to pre-dawn creation is plausible.

To be continued.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks for the 'like' for the quote.

Up early, apparently rested well enough, and puttering. Putting together a list of Chinese pill & formulas for my shopping trip to the Chinese herb store on Saturday.

The formulas using loose herbs are a full-on process—so much water, soak measured amount of herbs, cook herbs, draw off the water and cook the dregs again with less water. Add the collected liquids, compost the dregs, and drink so much a day for as long as it last. Repeat. Usually, the herbalist wraps each set together in one bundle so you don't have to measure each herb out each time.

Whereas pills, pop-pop-pop, with a swallow of tea or water & you're done. You don't get the great smell of cooking herbs though.

It's also interesting tracking down what the Chinese or Latin names of ingredients are. Thank you Mr. Google, I guess.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:29 pm

Some of us think cooking herbs smells like (censored)

I cooked herbs once out of desperation. they worked, but I didn't like them.

Hi, Lyndon.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:01 pm

The Blood Pressure Cure: 8 Weeks to Lower Blood Pressure without Prescription Drugs by Robert Kowalski
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:21 pm

EG, Thanks for the book,

Up too early this AM and now energy flagging. Normalizing my blood pressure (I prefer blood circulation), will take all I can bring to it.

I want to have some supplement or herb formula every day, perhaps several. I'll start slow and build. Looking forward to my trip to the Ch. herb stores. It's always fun and if there are other people there we sometimes get into interesting conversations. Nothing like that happens when buying pills at the local western drug store.

& Lyndon, Keep doing what you're doing, it's working.
L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:00 am

My friend insisted that I try pain patches and gave me a few. OMG what a difference. I wasn't expecting them to really do anything. they are amazing.

I'll have to enter them in the gratitude post. also had a lot of fun yesterday.

This could put a new spin on everything. I'm still limping and my range of motion has been affected. It takes a while to go from barely walking to normal. I have to realize that the pain is really gone.

Happy steppin' and I do mean steppin'.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

4 cooking perbs / puttering

Postby Lynx » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:00 am

Hi folks,

Cooking my first 2 cups of herbs (added to one oz of the combination) for two hours, at the moment as I putter around. Using home made double boiler of pyrex casserole with lid inside a stock pot with the boiling water. I also bot pills yesterday. I was hoping the pills included earthworm (as it does in the formula book I have), but I think the makers keep it out of the Am. market. I wonder why?

Smell not so bad. What was in your mix, Elaine?

When I feel ready, I'll decant and add 1 cup to the dregs and continue for 90 - 120 minutes. Yield should be about 3 cups. I think if I go with 2 oz 4 times a day this would last 3 days.

I ran the numbers: using the dried herbs @ $1 for the 3 cups yield that I drink for 3 days, comes to $7 for the standard 3 weeks course of treatment. The pills are $6.50 for 90 tablets. At the suggested minimum dose of 3 tablet 3 times a day, one box will last 10 days. A 3 week tx course would need 2 boxes, or $13.00.

Trad method saves $6 plus I can experiment with mixing in other herbs or methods. One book suggested putting 1 oz in a jar with vinegar or wine and leaving it for six weeks. I'll get more sets tomorrow if I can stand the taste test!

What I think I'll do is go with the traditional brew when I can and switch to the pills on days when I'm too busy or get behind schedule.

There's a new scheduling tool called Team Up I'll be spending the rest of my day on getting my June set up of music and other events set up so I can share with friends.

In the back of my mind, I'll think about several projects, mostly to do with wringing legitimate services out of our local governments. Odd hobby, but there it is.

Also trying another folk remedy for a wart on my foot. Soak in water with epson salt, pick off the dead skin, make a paste of a crushed aspirin and tape it over with electrical tape (the original post said duct tape, but my wart is not so big). Turn counter-clockwise while reciting ... no wait, that's another remedy.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:55 am

Lynx, all I know is that the herbs looked, smelled and tasted nasty.

I'm trying to get back into writing mode. Dentist appt. today. I'll post something else later. (As soon as I think of something.)
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

6–Blood Circulation

Postby Lynx » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi folks,

Began my tx Sunday with double boiling the herbs and then two doses of 2 oz each. Had a terrific feeling of energy, almost too much and made it hard to sleep.

Revisited the herb shop to tweak my formula and the clerk reminded me: half a cup a day. I'd started off thinking 2 oz X 4 times a day, or a full cup. Really it's 1 oz, 4x a day.

Now the game is on: never miss a day turns into never miss a dose for 3 weeks! I'm tracking it like this: taken doses/doses remaining.

End of first day: 2/82; second day 6/78, so far today = 8/80. No missed days,

Cutting down to one oz had made a bid difference.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

7 blood circulation

Postby Lynx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:49 am

Hi Folks,

Found an article on the Mayo clinic site that said for folks my age (over 60) anything under 140/90 is OK. May last reading was 138/78 which just makes it under the limit. the two prior readings were 190/90 and 174/88, I think. A mini-success. Onward.

I'm goaling for 130/68. Finding it helpful to mediate on each dose. I'm looking up the constituent herbs in turn, reading about them, and thinking about other supports I might offer to help their tonic actions.

Made a quart of the tincture with rice wine (28 proof and about 20 oz) and 100 proof vodka for the rest. Part of the fun is working out how long something may last. Found the idea that 30 drops = 1 cup of a tea of something. 30 drops are about half a teaspoon. Half a cup is 15 drops. If I want to take this 4x a day, that's 4 drops a dose.

Here goes, 4 cups (32 oz) is 192 teaspoons. At half a tsp a day, that's 380 days. Over a year!

Now the costs: $1.25 for the herbs, ±$15 for the alcohol, total $16.25; $16.25/380 or about 4.3¢ a day. Less than a nickle a day!

What can Big Pharma say to that!

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Sounds as if you have the BP under control. And as an extra bonus, you're feeling great.

When I brewed herbs, I drank a cup of something that looked like green mud, only it didn't taste as good as green mud.

I envy you the energy, as I'm dragging around like a ninety-year-old. (No offense to 90 yr olds. Some of them have a ton of energy.)

I've made a dent in my list of things to do, but the list is very long. I'm getting a little writing done.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:57 am

I thought up some possible titles:

Unfamiliar Oceans

Unfamiliar Waters

do they sound pretentious or nerdy? any other ideas are welcomed. I'm not totally in love with either title, but I like them better than anything else I've come up with.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 4 cooking perbs / puttering

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:24 am

Lynx wrote:-snip-
Also trying another folk remedy for a wart on my foot. Soak in water with epson salt, pick off the dead skin, make a paste of a crushed aspirin and tape it over with electrical tape (the original post said duct tape, but my wart is not so big). Turn counter-clockwise while reciting ... no wait, that's another remedy.

Lynx
I've used the aspirin remedy with good results. Another effective method is freezing the wart, which my doctor did for me. There's a special spray can with a substance that gets very cold when released from the can. He sprayed a swab and then touched it to the wart, which then turned black and disappeared over a few days.

My steps, I'm just trying to get through each day. I have a doctor appt coming up, which I'll be preparing for.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories