August 2018 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

August 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Lynx » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:16 am

Thanks Jason for posting this on Quote of the Day on Jul 26:

I have an almost complete disregard of precedent, and a faith in the possibility of something better. It irritates me to be told how things have always been done. I defy the tyranny of precedent. I go for anything new that might improve the past. -- Clara Barton

Our lives, our efforts, our projects are unprecedented, if only for ourselves.

Improve your past efforts a step at a time.

Improve your writing a word at a time.

Improve your health a remedy at a time.

Share what's working or not on this thread so we can cheer, offer support, or lend an ear for your venting.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

8-1 Escape

Postby Lynx » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:25 am

Hi Steppers,

Keeping the discipline of dealing with the next hardest things almost every day is wearing. They are actually hard to do, hard to finish, hard to wrangle agreements, hard to advance.

So escape is very tempting. I have a million ways to give my responsibilities the slip, like Henny Youngman's one-liners.

Listened to a podcast sponsored by Pro Writing Aids and the guest speaker said since he notices that he can never avoid procrastination he flipped his thinking and now schedules procrastination time.

Ah, even fantasizing about escape is a wonderful type of escape.

... back to living the hard thing/escape dance.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: August 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:11 pm

Thanks, for starting August, Lynx,

My rebel side LOVES the Clara Barton quote. But I have to add this: My 72 years wandering around this planet has taught me - when everyone does something one way, sometimes there's a good reason for it. I'm not saying, "blindly follow" - there's way to much of that mindlessness. I want to add, "especially now," but I suspect there's always been a lot of mindless acceptance. I do want to add use your brain and common sense before you chose a different path. And the quote reminds me of the Robert Frost poem, "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jason » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:42 am

Zig Ziglar often told the story of the time he won a prized country ham in a sales contest.

When he got home, he handed the beautiful ham to his wife, Jean. She immediately cut the end off the ham and placed it in a pan.

Zig asked his wife, "Why did you cut the end off my prized ham?"

"Well, that’s how you bake them," Jean responded. "That’s how my mama cooked a ham."

"Why did your mama do it that way?"

"I’m not sure," Jean said. "Let’s call Mama and ask her."

So Zig and Jean called Mama. "Well, my mama always did it that way," she said.

So Zig and Jean called Granny.

"Granny," Jean asked, "why do you always cut the end off the ham? Zig says I shouldn’t do it that way. Mom says she cut the ham because you always cut the ham. I did it because she did it. Nobody knows why we do this. So why did you cut the end off the ham?"

"Well," Granny responded, "I don’t know why you two did it, but my pan was too short!"
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

3 avoid precedent following

Postby Lynx » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi Jason, thanks for your consistent supplying of humor around this thread.

After I heard the joke about the trimmed hams (the version I heard was meat loaf) I happened to ask my Mom for the family recipe for banana pudding. One of the steps was taking the blemish out of the egg, something I don't do when frying eggs, scrambling eggs, or making pancakes.

So, I asked about it. She said my grandma made it that way. Then she added, probably to take up time more than any other reason.

I left it in.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:01 pm

I always leave the blemish in.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

3 3 hard thing day

Postby Lynx » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:30 am

Hi folks,

Deserved break this weekend as I did 4 Hard Next Things today:

1. Hardest - sending announcement about the death of a member of one of my social groups to the other group members. Seems I was the first hear about it.

2. Going to old dental office (local university) to ask that x-rays and perio charts get sent to my private dentist.

3. Reorganizing some data for my main gig and emailing it to the other team members.

4. Opening a new account at Wells Fargo for a safe deposit box (and their mandatory savings account that serves no purpose).

One bright spot in all of this was we mentioned we had missed the new donut shop (after hours). Our officer at the bank had bought a dozen for the office that very day ... and a few minutes later he dropped on his desk the box with a lone donut (lemon cream) left!

A future hard thing: the cloak and shadows work of emptying the current safe deposit box and secreting the contents into the new box.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

a long quest at its end

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi all,

What is the perfect backpack for my needs? Do different types of weather or activities require separate backpacks?

This search got kicked off in earnest after I ran several blocks in the rain with a Chrome supposedly waterproof pack. Well, it just had one problem, huge holes at the top outside of the flap that let rain in. I'm about long hours so I pack a lot into my bags. Ruined a library book, destroyed my paper day timer, but somehow my Macbook Air made it through a little wet (it happened that day I'd forgotten my waterproof case).

I told the library and quickly replaced the book. Turns out, they kept the damaged one and the new one. I'd been better off reporting it lost and keeping it.

This was the second disaster with a backpack in my life. All right. Let's get this right.
  1. It had to be waterproof. Not water resistant.
  2. It had to be rolltop.
  3. Preference to lightweight, not a requirement.
  4. Would love bottle holders, but not required.
  5. Under $60 in price.
So now, from that one disaster I've repaired four bags (one a recent purchase*), have two heavy duty bags, two superlite bags, and two travel daypacks. Not all purchased after the rain storm.

*One of the lite bags developed a small hole which the company repaired.

Out of pocket costs, repairs, 3 free (shipping 3.75 i think, for one), $32.75 for one. This one replaced by the company and developed the same problem in the new one. Found a shop in Oregon shipped it off and in less than a week got it back good as new.

New bags, $45, $44, $50, $60, more or less, total: $200.

Grand total, including $25 for the book: $25 + 32.75 + 200 = $257.25.

Wish I'd gone straight to the solution but I would have missed the fun of shopping and refining my tastes.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi, Lynx,

I remember your first backpack disaster. It sounds as if you're all set to go now.

Me - dealing with health stuff, and trying to write. I want my old body back.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10 flashback

Postby Lynx » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:37 pm

Here's the comment from Oct 27, 2016. I ordered a Poler Backback, it had a separation at the shoulder strap so I returned it got a Driftsun Drybag pack. The Driftsun is a much better pack.

Postby Lynx » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:01 am
Hi ya'll,

Yesterday went pretty much as I planned it; today's plans pretty much went their own ways.

The biggest upset is a Chrome brand silver vinyl bag totally let me down today and let in mucho water. The plastic parts worked fine, it was the fabric behind the shoulder straps and a small area where the cover flap didn't quite cover completely. Everything is water logged, including another library book! What's my luck with these books? Anyway, I'll 'fess up this time as truly responsible and face the punishment.

My daytimer, soggy. A spiral notebook, drenched. Bandana, sopping. Computer seems fine though I forgot to use the sleeve today (naturally). Thank you Jon Ivey.

So, after stomping off my anger, I looked at getting a new bag, roll top, and supposedly waterproof. From a Portland, OR company — the Poler Stuff Rolltop Backpack. Due here in a week. $65.

Meanwhile, I've drafted another bag into service and as soon as the Chrome is sober it's out of here.

Thanks for allowing this rant.

Ah, memories.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11 post a week of next hard things - quiet day

Postby Lynx » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:25 am

Hi folks,

Most mornings I get up and ask, what should I do during the first three hours (my most productive and efficient times). Today, I've backed off a bit.

Deserved. It's been a Next Hard Things Week. (Sung to the Beatles "It's been a Hard Days Night").

Friday, reached what felt like it should have been a milestone day, a second gathering face-to-face of a team that will make recommendations to a group of foundations. Yet, some members don't feel their confidence and proposed yet another round of sending our recommendations out to "community contacts" and one thought another face to face to do the work would be nice.

Sigh. I acquitted myself well enough, and had everything ready I thought might be necessary and put a few of them into use.

Decision-making on our condo board is like dragging logs uphill. That was a Hard Thing on a lot of levels.

Had a tooth start to fail, so calling the dentist was a hard thing.

A misunderstanding with my Dear Partner was another hard thing.

On top of that, the way too frequent flakiness of responders to free offers on freecycle created confusion and wasted my time and counts as it own Hard Thing.

Today I'm set to cruise as much as I can manage.

Work hard, rest harder,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:13 pm

plugging along.

Science with the grand kids is suspended until the school year starts.

Same projects as before. Slowly plugging along.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:12 am

i'm trying something different. I'm starting the day with writing. Editing is easy, because this is close to the final draft, so it's usually just catching typos and such. If I do need to rewrite a paragraph, it's still not like trying to figure outa way to break Alex out of jail.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:49 am

Hi all,

Yes, Elaine, getting to the writing earlier seems like a workable adjustment. You may be fresher and an idea or two from your dreaming may show up to help.

Dealing with a chipped tooth today. Probably needs to come out. Wisdom tooth. Will I be less smart or more after this?

Have a workshop/training on the 27th to prep materials for. Have lots of ideas, and it seems I will have to use all my available time.

To the page,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi,

So a bunch of yuck stuff for tomorrow. Then fun on Saturday with friends.

I made all the phone calls that put the yuck stuff into action. Next week won't be fun. - medical stuff car stuff, MOL stuff (not the good stuff) and expensive stuff. And my writing isn't as good as I think it is.

On the bright side, - well there is a bright side. I don't have the problems that some of my friends have. I saw Christopher Robin a couple of days ago. A happy silly movie, which I needed to see. I think I'm a cross between Eyore and Winnie. When I was younger, I was Rabbit.

Good wishes to everyone here.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories