March 2019 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: March 2019 Daily Stepping

Postby Lyndon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:09 pm

I've been having snack-sized readings of Jill Dearman's BANG THE KEYS -- especially when waiting in offices for appointments, because it is fun enough to make the time pass more quickly and enjoyable, but easy to stop without angst and switch attention to the mundane appointment.

In a chapter on journals. "I enjoy reading writers'' journals. From Franz Kafka's I learned that the man really was as tormented as we all assumed. From Joyce Carol Oate's: the reason she is known as the most prolific writer of our time is because the is a consistent and disciplined writer, who constantly wrties!"

She eagerly picked of The Journal of Joyce Carol Otes 1973-1982. "Iwas shocked by what i discovered: no drama. None. It seems taht Ms. Oates wrote and wrote and suffered over her characters and plots, but it felt to me like a good kind of suffering..."
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:44 am

Hi, Everyone,

Lyndon, your grandfather sounds amazing. Is he in good health?

I like your idea about the stuffed toys as, I usually forget at least one thing any time I go on a trip.

Re my grandkids' play. It was great. It was called "Monstersori 101" and was a spoof about the Montessori school that the kids go to. My grandson played the head monster and got eaten at the end of the play. My graddaughter played the barker (I don't know what else to call it.) at the Bizarre bazaar.)

Re: the Triumphal march from Aida - I watched a few videos of the Triumphal March on You tube and elsewhere. Other performances I saw were spectacular. They had one or two horses drawing chariots and - here I'm guessing - about a hundred soldiers marching across the stage. The Chinese version was performed out of doors (year 2000). To quote the New York Times. "They (1650 soldiers) were followed by an elephant, Bactrian camels, lions, tigers and racing, horse-drawn chariots.

The elephant drew the biggest applause of the evening when it stood on its hind feet and waved a forefoot to the crowd. And there was a tense few minutes when the chariots nearly locked wheels, and then two of the horses balked and had to be pulled off the stage. The audience erupted in laughter as a soldier frantically swept into a dustpan a trail of ''road apples'' that the horses left behind." -

The New York Times didn't like it because there was more attention to the animals than to the music. I have to admit, I had a lot of fun researching all of this, and spent way more time than necessary listening and watching opera on the computer. The music is amazing as well. Even if you're not an opera buff (I'm not.) you'll recognize the music from the Triumphal March.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:14 am

Lynx, you sounded busy in your last post. I hope everything is going well for you.

Me - massive poison oak trouble. It got tracked somewhere in my house, but i'm not sure where. So I keep getting it. Writing - like you said about the journals, Lyndon, I just keep going. (Except when I stop.) But lately, I just keep going.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:35 am

I just found an old post of yours about "Present'Mindedness." I must have skimmed it when I first read it. There's some really good information there. Thanks.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories