A Newbie

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

A Newbie

Postby LalithaN » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:27 pm

:D
Hi,
I'm Lalitha Nagarajan. I started reading "Refuse to Choose" two days ago. It seems that this book has been written after observing me for
many years. Now I know I'm a Scanner and I'm not alone. So I joined this Forum.
My Greetings to fellow Scanners and my heartfelt gratitude for Ms. Barbara Sher for her eye-opening book "Refuse to Choose".
Are there any pictures for 'Avocation Station' ,'Three Ring Binders' and 'Scanner Daybook'?
How you people do these things?
I'm interested in Cooking, English and Tamil Literature, Sewing, Embroidery, Singing, Making Soap, Gardening, Mythology, Yoga, Meditation and other unrelated things.I would like to know others who are also interested in these areas.
Happy to meet you guys,
Lalitha.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: A Newbie

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:12 am

Hi, LalithaN

Three cheers for scanners. (Also for divers.)

You can find pictures of three-ring binders on Amazon, or just by googling "three-ring binder." It's just a plain old binder (something that holds paper) and the three rings open up. Binder paper has three vertical holes that line up with the three rings, and you can load the binder with paper, and and you have a notebook to which you can easily remove paper or add more paper.

The scanner day book and the avocation station - these are up to you. Make them any way that works for you. i wasn't really happy with the sites I found about these tools. I hope someone posts with better links. Here's one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SffRIYBCHYc but I think it's mostly an ad for his show. Still, it may answer some questions. I hope someone posts better links.

Your intersts are awesome. Happy scanning.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:51 am

p.s.

If you're new to Barbara Sher, you might enjoy some of the videos she's made for the net. Just google Barbara Sher, and you'll find some inspiring talks on you-tube and Tedx.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:24 am

Elaine Glimme,
Thank You for taking time to reply my post. You have explained patiently about the ring binder, which is really a favour for a complete stranger. Now I am happy and grateful to know that I'm in a close-knit community.
What are your interests and how do you balance time between your duties and desires?
I made one old two drawer table in our house my Avocation Station for my drawings and paintings. I'm sure I'll make a ring binder and a daybook for my progress in different fields. :D
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi, LalithaN

The desk with the two drawers sounds like a perfect Avocation Station for drawing. So, yes, you got the idea. It's whatever works for you'

I'm retired. so I have plenty of time for what I want to do and what I have to do - my duties and my desires. While I was still working, I used to do my writing in the evenings. I didn't get to it every night, but I still got some writing done. ALso, I had writers' retreats. A group of writers, musicians and artists got together for a weekend, and we would create our projects and share what we did with each other. Now, I have two writers' groups that I belong to. We share our work and we help each other. Meeting with these friends is one of the happiest things that I do, and it helps me to keep writing. Creating things is fun, but it's also fun to show our work to other people.

There's a facebook page "Scanners Look what I made" and "Scanners look what I'm going to do. (I probably got the words wrong) Anyway, these are two on-line places to share work.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:01 am

Hi Elaine,
Pleased to see your reply.I'll definitely browse that FB group. It has been long since I visited FB. I totally agree with your words 'Creating things is fun, but it's also fun to show our work to other people.'
As a writer, what do you write about? Fiction or Non-fiction? Happy that you have time to do what you want. If you are above 50, body doesn't act as fast as the mind wants. How do you cope up? [Sorry if I had entered your personal space.]

I'm 48 years old and I'm a homemaker. Though I don't have to go out for a job, most of my energetic time is spent for household chores. I'm mostly exhausted when I have free time. A lot of my sewing projects are pending due to this. At those times I think of the great Tamil Poet Subramanya Bharathi's lines which translate into
'I want a body that moves according to the mind, like an accelerated ball.'
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi Newbie.

Welcome! I'm not a scanner myself so I don't know if I will be of any help. I'm glad you've discovered Barbara Sher. She's been a great influence in my life. I wish you the best.

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:28 pm

Hi Inspire.
Thank You for your encouragement. Before reading 'Refuse to choose', I was feeling miserable and useless. I was blaming myself for a life in which most of the things started are unfinished and the failures in my life and really started to believe that I'm fickle minded and fully responsible for my failures and I decided that my life is a 'Glorious Colossal Failure'. Adding to all these mental agonies, I had a small accident which got me a grade two ankle twist and was advised a complete rest for at least 1 month.
All my plans to straighten my life, abruptly stopped. So when I can't walk I started drawing galloping horses and watching classical dance videos(a lot of footwork). At that time Barbara Sher came into my life. I devoured 'Refuse to Choose'. It was written as if she watched me everyday from my childhood. Though I like money, I lack ambition. Everything I do, I do it for the sake of joy it brings. I have never forsaken my duties, but I haven't succeeded in earning a lot of money. After reading her book, I stopped blaming my life and started enjoying life. I read a quote somewhere
' Life has become immensely tolerable,since I stopped taking it seriously'.
Seeing your multiple varied interests, I think you are a scanner. What made you think you aren't?
Happy to find a friend,
Lalitha.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

quote finder

Postby Lynx » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:49 am

Hi Lalitha,

Found your source: Hunter S. Thompson — 'Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.'

Pretty close memory of it. Most of living is in the middle. Reminds me of a story about a boy's book review for fourth grade:

"The beginning and ending were great. It was too long in the middle."

Laugh through,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:34 am

Welcome Lalitha!

We had a discussion about the Scanner Daybook, which I participated in, a few years ago.

My approach:
I use my blog to jot down ideas. I start out each entry as if creating a post. However, I do not publish the post. Instead I leave it in Draft mode, and I identify it with a SDB tag.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:03 pm

Hi Lynx,
Thank you for finding the source. Actually the meaning has got an enhanced charm in 'since I have been forced to take it'. I really enjoy it.
How about this one? Source I don't know.Just saw somewhere in FB or Pinterest.
"Life is that happens when you have other plans". :roll:

Quote loving,
Lalitha.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby LalithaN » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:45 am

Hi Square peg,
Your idea is fine. I am going to use a small notebook handy to jot down my ideas as they come.
I am planning to name it 'Dream catcher'. If it is worthy, I can elaborate it in a neat notebook.

Still Dreaming,
Lalitha.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:18 am

Hi, Lalitha,

Feel free to share your scanner journey with us - the successes, the near misses, and the "I never want to do that again!"

I agree with everything you said - life is about joy, not about money. You said you've never forsaken your duties. After that, well, do what you want. That's what's so wonderful about scanners.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:57 pm

LalithaN wrote:I am planning to name it 'Dream catcher'.

Wonderful name!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Hi IS [Is it right to abbreviate?]
Thank You.
Lalitha.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster