Enthusiastic

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Enthusiastic

Postby LalithaN » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:26 pm

Hi Scanners of all types!
Greetings. I'm new to this forum and as well as the idea that we belong to a special species 'Scanners'. I actually joined this group to know more about what other scanners are doing and how they manage their time. I also wanted to know their[your] achievements, however small they maybe.
Where to search for that in this forum? Have any of you posted with photos of your achievements? How you felt before and now? Do this forum encourages and records step by step success and the obstacles that come along? Have any of the members done that recording and posting?
OMG! My post looks like a question paper! :lol:
But I am really curious and enthusiastic to know about all of you.
Thank You.
Lalitha.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Enthusiastic

Postby LalithaN » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:50 am

Hi Friends,
Back after a short break. Happy to be with you again.
Thank you Elaine for your encouragement and Lynx for your source supply.
Got some acrylic colors and started my painting journey two days before. Did two color wheels and so happy that I started. I always had an affinity towards colors from the childhood. If I hadn't known about Scanners, I would have never ventured. I owe this delight to all of you in the forum.
Last week I had been reading 'Kingkiller Chronicles', first two books. Got drowned in the books, left my current projects abandoned and blamed myself for my indiscipline and of course Patrick Rothfuss for his captivating narration. I had a delightful reading experience.This book in some ways can stand in line with Mary Stewart's Merlin series.[Kvothe never has Merlin's humility] I was embarrassed to find out that the completion book hasn't been published yet.
The first thought that struck me when I was forming a character aquaintance with its hero Kvothe, was that he being a Master Scanner. Acting,singing, song composing, lute playing, engineering, medical, linguistics, arcanism, diplomacy, fighting..... the list goes on.
Mr. Rothfuss has knowingly or unknowingly has hailed the Scanners.What you guys think about it?
Eager to hear,
Lalitha
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:42 am

I think I want to read "Kingkiller Chronicles" I liked Mary Stewart's Merlin - only read one book.

I'm glad you're enjoying your scanner adventures. Me - I'm dividing my adventures between gardening and writing. WIth the beautiful weather, the gardening is especially fun. I'd forgotten how much fun drawing can be. Your painting reminded me. Maybe I'll pull out my drawing tablet, if I can find it, and goof around with it.

Happy scanning!
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:39 am

Hi Elaine,
It would be very fine if you dig out your tablet. Even if you can't, please don't stop. A simple pencil, eraser and some white papers will do. The pleasure you get even from simple drawings can't be said;only felt. Welcome back to the world of sketches!
The beautiful weather,you mentioned; what season is there in your place? Here at Chennai, India, summer is blazing. A lot of hot sun, humidity, and sultry weather. It is our spring,all the tropical trees and plants blooming and fruiting, birds calling out,especially Cuckoos cooing everywhere; mornings being bright and pleasant and evenings cool and breezy. In spite of all these things, sweat, dust, prickly heat, heavy thirst and weariness, glaring hot sun will take a lot of enthusiasm from you [atleast me]. But the world around me enjoys and doesn't give a jujupe about the hot sun. IPL Cricket matches in its full heat, Tourism in its full swing, all the empty grounds filled with children and teenagers playing Cricket, Collegers ignoring study for their exams, going to films like EndGame, vendors selling fresh fruits, tender coconuts and sugarcane juices.
If possible read 'KingKiller Chronicles'. You may not be able to believe it, but you will enjoy it. I enjoyed the first three books of Merlin, but not the fourth.I thought the characters have grown too soft.So I didn't finish it.
What plants do you have in your garden, flowers, veggies or fruits or simply decorative plants, potted ones or straight from the ground? I'm eager to know.

Your friend,
Lalitha.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:16 am

Hi Everybody,
Yesternight I saw a video tutorial for acrylics. It is a waterfall in woods. It looked beautiful and easy.
I decided to try it in my sketchbook and Voila! it came out well.[Except that I spilled a bottle of black paint on ground and had to clean] Of course it has some minor faults invisible to a regular eye. But who cares! It's my first painting. My children complemented me and I'm happy.
Once again I thank this forum and 'Refuse to Choose'. Without you I would have never ventured.
I owe this delight to all of you.
Grinning,
Lalitha.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Thu May 02, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi Elaine,
Hadn't seen you since a week. How are you?
I just miss you.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri May 03, 2019 11:34 am

Hi, Lalitha,

I'm back in action. A friend of mine helped me with writing something, so I may be back to work on my novel. So everything is good. It's fun reading about your scanner adventures. Acrylic painting is beautiful. I'm glad the waterfall came out.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sat May 04, 2019 2:18 am

Hi Elaine,
Happy you are back again and you resumed writing.
Take care of your health.
Lalitha.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon May 06, 2019 3:15 pm

I've read the first two Kingkiller books. I keep looking for the next / final book in the series but to no avail. Yes, he seems to be very crafty, perhaps a type of scanner.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Mon May 06, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi,
There is a third book of course, 'The Slow Regard of Silent Things' but it doesn't deal with Kvothe. It circles around Auri. It seems that Mr. Rothfuss hasn't completed his Trilogy third book.
I expect that he will publish that around the end of 2019.Likewise, I don't know when the fourth book of 'The Trials Of Apollo' by Rick Riordan would be released. I enjoyed all his Greek Mytho books. Have you read them?
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Tue May 07, 2019 7:35 am

Hi Squarepeg,
Kingkiller has many loose ends to tie up in the next book. Have you guessed who would be Denna's patron? I have a light guess. Why Kvothe lives in disguise and why a fareie like Bast,lives with him and how and why he should kill a king and start a war he regrets? All are exciting questions and do you have any ideas how the author would lead the story?
If you are interested, we may share our views.
Anyone who is reading this post is welcome to express their views about the books they have read. I'm an ardent reader and I like very much to talk about books.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Tue May 07, 2019 7:49 am

Hi Everybody,
In this forum you all seem to be Americans and therefore native English speakers.
If I give you a dialogue simply, 'Why didn't you eat the stew?' 'Because it is hot'.
What would you assume, the food's temperature is too high to eat,or it is too pungent to be edible?
Then do you have a word for the taste of gooseberry? It is not sour or tangy like lemon. And it has a specific quality that after eating this particular taste, if you drink water it would be deliciously sweet. similarof mango etc. We have a specific name for this taste called 'Thuvarppu'. I tried it in a vocabulary site and got words like umami, savoury and astringent. I don't think savoury as suitable. For us it means the mixture of salt and hot. Umami is Japanese and astringent is technical. Don't you have a native word? :wink:
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 10, 2019 4:30 pm

" In this forum you all seem to be Americans and therefore native English speakers.
If I give you a dialogue simply, 'Why didn't you eat the stew?' 'Because it is hot'.."

If I'm in a restaurant it's because it has too many spices. I don't like "hot" spicy food.

All I can think of about Americans is about where we live in the US. For instance, back east (where I grew up) we call soft drinks "pop". Here in CA it's called "soda". A "purse" back east is a "handbag" in CA. I'll think of some more later. Lots of slang words.

I learned to speak Spanish living in Argentina (no classes, just learned it). When I moved to CA I couldn't speak to people here because of all the slang I learned in Argentina. Instead of "dinero" for money, in Argentina it was "plata". I didn't know until I came here that plata means silver. It was slang.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Fri May 10, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi IS,
It is common for any widespread language to have many dialects. Our Tamil too has many dialects and it differs from district to district in Tamilnadu, but understandable. If a SriLankan Tamilian speaks to a Tamil native like me, I would think she is speaking an entirely different language [it has happened] . Completely different choice of words, make a dialect unique.

The first lesson in Linguistics is 'Every man has his own dialect.' So what you speak is your own unique language. When it has a number of similarities with a group of people, it becomes a dialect. When a dialect has a number of similarities with a set of groups, then it becomes an accepted language.
I wrote that post because that many native words haven't entered Standard English, which is taught in non-English speaking countries. We learnt our English from British. Only through globalisation, we came into contact with American English. I thought that American may have a word for that taste. OK. I'll simplify that taste. The taste of plain tea decoction is also 'Thuvarppu' like that of gooseberry. Do you have a name?
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun May 19, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi, Lalitha,

Most of the people posting here speak English as their first language, but we get people from all different countries, and for many the English is a challenge. I am impressed by the people from other countries who so well in a non-native language. Their ENglish isn't perfect, but they can speak it and write it. In the United States we are spoiled because so many people speak English that we don't have to try very hard. I speak FREnch and Russian, but, my Russian is terrible unless I have someone nearby who speaks it often. And my FRench - it's really bad.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion