April 2019 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

volley ball cardio 4-15-19

Postby Lynx » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:11 am

Hi Steppers,

Volleyball cardio - probably. Could play with a tall wall solo if no one is around to play with you. I play handball & tennis that way.

BIG public meeting tonite to update supporters on where thing are and to help them get their stories right.

Also, just got a call from the city staffer trying to answer my Freedom of Information Act Request. Sent my first photos (of the doc as I have a hard copy) via email attachment on my new ipad. Definitely need that class! I'm asking for the pdf version.

Kindof doing light editing on my other project's report around the edges to give myself a break on the main work for today. Not too much as hard editing drains my brains.

Also, want to wedge in a nap around 2 to shore up my energy reserves.

Oh, got in a couple of hours of bridge yesterday. Felt good. Maybe two more chances this month. We'll have to see.

To the rally,

L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: April 2019 Daily Steppin'

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:32 pm

Gosh, guys! You're both so physically fit! I signed up with YMCA but have yet to go.

Congrats, Elaine, for being able to do something in real life that you couldn't do in a dream! Fun! I dreamed recently that I was playing piano, but have not been doing it in real life. Backwards, from your experience. I take the dream as a hint that maybe I'm ready to play piano.

Lynx, if you want to know a bit about what I'm up to, read the Gratitude thread. I've been posting there.

I have to "sync" my smart phone to my computer. Don't know how. There is an online class I need to do but it has to come to me through my email address. I set up my gmail on my phone but can't access gmail on the computer for lack of the sync I guess.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:51 am

Hi steppers,

Inspire, success with your syncing efforts.

I'm getting busier, if you can imagine it. So as a self-respecting self-employed, I gave myself a day to chill & warm at a Korean spa. Ahh, so good. Got a 10-pak and I'm now down to about 2. Six for me and 2 offered as gift tickets to friends.

What I found great is that even on the spa day I managed to keep my chain of work every day alive with my two main projects. Didn't do much, but did something.

Today: been too long working on a section of a report. Today hope to put in the 2 or 3 hrs and finish it.
Update: 4.5 hours of work later, tis done!

Also, I'm leading a workshop at a local senior's support network and want to see the space.

I'd like a nap along the way.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

4 - 20

Postby Lynx » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:06 am

Hi steppers,
Weekend again. Mostly, around 95%, sticking to my "don't break the chain" for at least my two main work clients and a few other smaller, more routine stuff.

Weekends pose a challenge and my "rester" side really begs me to break off and 'fugettaboutit'. AND, between this weekend and last, a pile more paid work has arrived: a press conference on the City Council steps on Tuesday followed by a hearing by a Council Committee on my client's situation ... and a grant due in 30 days this same client wants my help drafting.

In balance, after ten days on one chapter of chainlinking pushed hard to finish it – and did!

"Surely," Mr. Rester says, "you deserve a day off. Let your mind breathe a bit? Eh? Sunny isn't it?"

Answer:

Breaker, you can't fool me,
hiding behind the sun!

Lovely woods, Mr. Rester, but I have promises to keep,

To the page,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

4 - 20

Postby Lynx » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:06 am

Hi steppers,
Weekend again. Mostly, around 95%, sticking to my "don't break the chain" for at least my two main work clients and a few other smaller, more routine stuff.

Weekends pose a challenge and my "rester" side really begs me to break off and 'fugettaboutit'. AND, between this weekend and last, a pile more paid work has arrived: a press conference on the City Council steps on Tuesday followed by a hearing by a Council Committee on my client's situation ... and a grant due in 30 days this same client wants my help drafting.

In balance, after ten days on one chapter of chainlinking pushed hard to finish it – and did!

"Surely," Mr. Rester says, "you deserve a day off. Let your mind breathe a bit? Eh? Sunny isn't it?"

Answer:

Breaker, you can't fool me,
hiding behind the sun!

Lovely woods, Mr. Rester, but I have promises to keep,

To the page,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

22-Apr

Postby Lynx » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:52 am

Up after about 7 hr of sleep. Read a interesting piece before bed that three days of sleeping in (9 or 10 hr of sleep) resets your body to "fully rested." Hm. Just 3 days you say ...

Also, too stretched to deal well with my partner's auto-critical response to every comment, everything, every situation. I've exhausted my creativity in finding gentle ways to ask for a change. Nothing doing. Right now I don't have the time or patience to cope with that and meet all the demands on my time from paid client work.

I guess you can tell we're both at home now and not like former times when one of us had an office gig and was not around.

On Pairedlife.com found an article on dealing with a constantly critical spouse. Some takeaways:

Set you edges (boundaries) internally and mind your own fence.
Let remarks pass
Feel the sting (unavoidable) yet give a neutral response (You may be right. I don't like to compare myself. I'm not sure. I saw that too.)

Read up on this to keep getting reinforcements.

And I would add for myself:
    Be 'on guard' when around her
    Feel compassion more than anger: sad that somewhere inside herself she feels uncomfortable and just can't voice it
    Ramp up time with supportive friends
    Write more on support sites like this
    Go to bed earlier to get up earlier and enjoy 5 trouble free hours
    Accept quietly this might be Karma from some past life as your dad made your daily life hell for 16 long years with his negativity
    Collect examples for a workshop
    keep a count
    Make a prediction and see how accurate I am

Time's up, refreshed, to the page.
L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 am

Lynx, I am totally in awe of everything you are accomplishing. I think being self=employed is hard, and you are doing it. So kudos.

I am going to try something new and very scary. There is an Internet site that generates pitches for writers. To use it, I have to enable pop-ups. Gulp. Of course I'll disable them right after I use the site, and apparently I can set my browser to only allow pop-ups on the one site. Still - gulp - I feel like the baby seal swimming into shark-infested waters because it's the only way for me to get my dinner. (Cool metaphor, huh?)

If I disappear from site for a while, it's probably because something ate my computer.

I hope everyone here had a great Easter.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:29 pm

Using the pitch generator and activating pop-ups was easy enough, but I didn't get anything out of it that I could use.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:52 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Lynx, I am totally in awe of everything you are accomplishing. I think being self=employed is hard, and you are doing it. So kudos.

I second that. I'm so proud of everything you've accomplished so far. It's fun seeing you gallop along!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

4-23-19 wild wild times

Postby Lynx » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:32 am

Hi steppers,

Thanks for the kudos. I let in every one I get.

Today’s meditation: in the midst of the storm I stand serene. Really need it as local politicians seem to act crazier by the second around a simple property transfer. That’s my theme going forward: please all, let’s take a calming deep breath. Stick to the facts and known policy decisions and step by step get this done.

With work ramping up I’ve suspended my project of finding at least one post per year I’ve been on these boards.

Oh, another celebration. Sat with interest calculators and ran the numbers on our 2nd mortgage. At the rate we’ve been paying off it would take 4 years and rack up $1800 in interest @ 5%. Well, I’ve been getting paid and leaving it in a low-interest savings account. I concluded that paying at least my half was a good idea. Shared idea with Significant Other and we thought about it a couple of days. Over the weekend she agreed, and we paid it off. Called the bank so the amount was up to the minute.

Cheer with me, first time since grad school debt started in 1994 (25 years!!) I live debt free. No mortgage, No 2nd mortgage, No school debt. Credit cards paid off each month.

Oh happy day. Oh day of people’s insanity. What a mix!
Standing serene,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 4-23-19 wild wild times

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:31 am

Lynx wrote:
Cheer with me, first time since grad school debt started in 1994 (25 years!!) I live debt free. No mortgage, No 2nd mortgage, No school debt. Credit cards paid off each month.

Lynx

Wow! That truly belongs in this Success Stories section. Congrats!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:51 am

I have not been talking about myself here since I've been back. That's because I'm not very happy with how things are going. I don't have a goal. I don't have a plan. I don't have a driving passion. I pretty much waste my days reading and watching politics on my phone (because I don't have cable TV). I have started work on my garden. I love my cat. But there's a gigantic hole in my life where my passion should be.

I wrote in my journal, "absence of symptoms does not equal a life". What I mean is that I have an absence of illness. I have no physical health or mental health issues. The strange thing is I don't quite know what to do about that. I thought about redoing WishCraft and I started reading it but didn't get very far.

In my sleeping dreams I'm practicing playing piano. In real life I have reservations about that. Part of the conflict is my hearing loss. Because I've lost hearing in the higher range of hearing, the higher range of piano sounds out of tune. It's very distracting and I'm not sure what to do about it. My idea is that I have to retrain my brain to make sense of the new way of hearing. Hearing is about comprehending as well as actually hearing sound. People don't understand that. It's possible to hear and still not understand what's being said or in this case what's being heard in terms of music.

The bottom line is I can't let a disability stop me from doing something I want to do. If it's not piano that I want to do, I don't know what else there is anymore. I've tried here on the boards over the last several years to reconnect with designing, art, and music. Nothing hs gone anywhere.

I feel lost. I miss being a passionate person. I miss having a dream. Without a dream there aren't any goals to set.

Barbara Sher is all about going after your dreams. What is mine?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:50 pm

Yay, Lynx, debt free is a wonderful thing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:31 pm

I've started a new thread to trace my wanderings and not bog down this active thread where people are going after their dreams and setting regular goals to achieve their dreams.

My new thread is in the success stories section and is titled, "Can I be a successful failure"?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:22 pm

Okay. I have a project! I can now join this thread and set goals and achieve them.

I found out that I'm prediabetic. I'm at my ideal weight, so that's not a problem. I don't exercise at all which is something I'm really going to focus on ASAP. And my diet is not as good as it could be. There's lots of "hidden" sugar in my diet and too much carbohydrates.

I love having goals! I want to see a definite reduction in my sugar test the next time I go to my doctor. I don't know how long it takes to see any difference if I make diet and exercise changes but I'm going to get going with it immediately.

It feels good to have goals! It feels good to have a challenge! Yay! :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories