How to make the schoolday schedule work?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

How to make the schoolday schedule work?

Postby elarue » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:07 pm

I remember reading about the schoolday schedule as a possible schedule for a scanner, which is something that appeals to me as I have many interests that can be grouped together into categories. But I'm wondering how you make that work with meeting the financial needs of a family? I'm sure it's possible as it's described in the book, but it's not quite clear how to accomplish it, how to ensure all your various interests together generate enough income to sustain a family. Has anyone had any experience with this, and if so, how have you done it?
elarue
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: How to make the schoolday schedule work?

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi. Welcome to the boards! Sounds like you're getting serious about using the book. Good for you!

I'm not a scanner, therefore, I haven't read the book so I can't be of help with your current challenge. I hope someone comes along who is working with this book who can be of more help.

In general, congratulations on discovering Barbara Sher and her books. They've really changed my life and I hope they will do the same for you.

Again....welcome!

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:11 pm

I'm not sure, but I"ll take a stab at this. You mentioned financial needs, so I assume that you have a job that needs to fit into your schedule. I also assume you have family obligations that need to be met - cooking dinner, shopping, etc. So I would fill out the chart with these activities first. Then I would fit your other interests into the free spaces remaining. I would also leave some spaces free since unexpected opportunities and obligations do crop up. I don't think I can make boxes in this post. So hopefully I'll be able to get the information across by just using words.

Let's say you have 1.5 hours free during each workday evening. You could write in,
Mon, Wed, Fri, "8:30 - 9 piano 9-9:30 macrame, 9"30 - 10 free time.
Tu, THu 8:30 - 9:30 aerobic 9:30 - 10 free time

SAt 8-12 chores 1-3 writing class

Sun 2-4 Gym 4-8 free time

For myself, I would more likely write something like: weekdays: 7:30 am - 8 writing 8- 6 work including driving to and from 6-8 dinner 8- 10 available time. and I'd plug in the macrame, piano, chores, yoga, etc into those two hours however I wanted on that day.

Anyway, that's the general idea. I think the point of the schedule is that if you make a time available or an interest, you're more likely to pursue it. DO whatever works for you.

Also, I could be completely wrong about this.

Also, I would include time for watching stupid things on TV and playing go fish with your kids. The schedule should be fun, not a burden. And I would feel free to ignore the schedule any time I wanted to.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby elarue » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:11 pm

TBH, I would assume this type of schedule would preclude the possibility of having a "normal" job - that your income would be a combination of income from all your diverse interests. At least, that's how I understood the structure as defined in the book. Did others who read the book understand it the same way, or did they understand it differently?
elarue
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:26 am

Oh . . .

Elarue, that makes a lot more sense.

If you had several "jobs" and had to balance places to be with preparations and assignments to be done, as well as the joys in your life, a school day schedule would be a blessing. In that case, you'd plug in the times when you absolutely had to be somewhere, and then fill in the rest of the schedule with the things you had to do and wanted to do. That way, you'd make sure that nothing was left out.

Good luck.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby elarue » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks!

So my question is, has anyone actually made this model work? As in, generate income from so many income streams that, combined, they replaced the income that would come from a traditional 9-5 job?
elarue
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:38 pm

I've known people who do contract work. But that usually involves doing one or two projects at a time and then going on to more when the first ones are finished. I would say don't quit the 9 - 5 job until you have a few other jobs lined up.

I hope someone else answers your post because I'm out of my depth here.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners