April 2019 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

4-26

Postby Lynx » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:20 am

Hi folks,

feeling the steps yet anyone? Inspire, just keep on walking.

And Elaine, keep planting food for monarchs. They'll love you for it.

Awoke feeling pinched and resentful about my struggles to plan enough distractions. I haven't broken the chain, and today my early plans are now shaky with some new developments workwise.

Ah, is this not living?

L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: April 2019 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:11 am

Not feeling the steps, Lynx,

Hopefully something is percolating in the back of my head and it will suddenly burst out. Meanwhile, I'm trying and nothing is happening.

Meanwhile, I did buy the milkweed plants, (along with a few others.) The milkweed is food for monarch butterfly caterpillars, but it is treated with Bacillus thurigensis, because the agriculture department requires it apparently it is also food for the brown apple moth which does a lot of damage to fruit trees. BT kills caterpillar larvae so I washed the milkweed leaves with soapy water, and covered the two plants with netting and I want to wait two weeks before I take it off. Annie's Annuals had several monarchs flying around trying to hone in on that luscious odor. (luscious to them. I couldn't smell a thing.) I did worry about monarchs laying all their eggs on Annie's plants before the BT wore off, but apparently monarchs only lay one egg at a time. I want to put in a plug for Annie here, Annie's annuals does not use neonicatinoids, which kill honey bees, and Annie's was upfront about the BT.

So not much in the writing department, but some good steps in the garden department.

See you all soon.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm feeling total overload with the 2nd plot I took on. Non-speaking Russian offered to help but dug up the area I didn't need help with. Now he's upset. Sigh.

I'll be glad when the 2nd plot is planted so I can focus on something else. Like exercise!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:07 pm

The Russian is back full force. He planted all 7 of my tomato plants plus some cucumbers. I planted 2 squash plants and some basil and peppers. Not only did he do all the work and decided which type of tomatoes went next to each other, he doesn't even want me to water the tomatoes! Evidently, all I need to do is sit in my chair, enjoy being in nature, watch things grow, and pick things when they're ready.

I'm glad the 2nd plot is done. It's way beyond me. I don't know what I was thinking when I took it on but I'm glad I did. Now I want some fencing to have climbing things like peas and beans. I'll wait awhile before asking!

Someone told me today that his wife has Alzheimer's, which is so sad. I guess the garden is a good escape. It keeps him busy and gives him something to focus on.

Now I have to go rest my poor back. I felt obligated to keep doing small things because he was doing so much but I overdid it.

Thank God for Aleve!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

28-Apr See Next post

Postby Lynx » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:04 pm

See next post. Somehow it showed up twice but I can't see a way to delete this first one. Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

28-Apr

Postby Lynx » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi steppers,

I S, your back doing better?

Governance question as we approach the end of the month ... do we continue on BarberaSher.com though it has dwindling engagement

OR

Do we try moving our thread to a new site?

Simple Living Forums has a thread called Give it a Hundred. Here's the lead-in:

Give it a Hundred (or 20 or 30 ...) - March/April 2019

In August 2017, a few of us on this board were inspired by the video at the link below. It's the story of a woman who went to the gym 100 times to try to get herself out of a rut. I saw it when George Takei posted it on Facebook along with the question, "What would you like to do 100 times?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5FkshLcNLQ

Her video was part of a larger movement online called "Give it 100" which, as far as I can tell, is now defunct.

I decided what I wanted to do 100 times was work on my fiction writing at least 30 minutes a day. The times do NOT need to be consecutive. Since I knew I would miss a lot of days here and there, I was aiming to complete my 100 days by January 15 2018, but because I wanted a certain number of the days to be one-hour or two-hour days I actually ended up doing 110 times in order to meet those goals and finished them in mid-March 2018.

Others joined in at various points - nswef has counted times of a certain number of steps a day and I think has also counted days doing 15 minutes of decluttering and/or some writing. Chicken Lady got 30 days in her studio at one point and has also counted swimming and various housekeeping/decluttering tasks.

Anyway, if anybody else wants to join in for 20, 30, 100 or however many times of something, please do!

Doing 100 days of working on my fiction writing was so transformative for me that I am now working towards doing 100 times 9 more times (for a total of 1000 times!). I completed my second 100 in January of this year, and started my third 100 soon after. I've had some tough life stuff going on recently, though, and completely neglected my writing for about three weeks. But today I got back to it. I'm on #6 of my third 100.

Seems on our wavelength. Thoughts?

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:59 pm

I took a quick look. It does look similar to this website. I'll have to go back and spend some more time to get a sense of how and where I would fit in.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 pm

My suggestion is one month more here. It's going to take me some time to get used to how a new website works.

Plus, I feel sad to leave here. I love Barbara Sher. She changed my life. I still use her approach in my life so much.

But I am willing to give the other site a chance.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Elaine,

Are you still sharing Temporary Address here?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Lynx, is this new site like this one as far as starting threads? Are you suggesting we get on the 100 thread or start our own?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:52 pm

Hi, EVeryone,

Inspire, congrats on your veg garden. Sounds like more work than I want to tackle, even with someone doing the heavy spading.

Lynx, I'll keep the stepper thread here going through May and I'll also post on the 100 days thread.
Also Lynx, I didn't know you wrote fiction. When the heck do you find the time???

Inspire, I have bits of my new novel on Writers and Speakers. I'll check and see what else is on there.

Me - Sunday, I went up to the lake to see my mother in law. SHe's doing great. BEfore, she never wanted to get out of bed. Now she's cruising the hall and asking for physical therapy. We had a good visit.

My writing. I'm essentially finished with my novel, but I'm having a heck of a time doing the pitch. I'm getting a lot of feedback on nanowrimo, which is good, but it's also depressing me. Mostly I'm confused. I wrote a pitch and asked for feedback. My friend wrote a pitch for me and I liked it a lot. I tweaked her pitch and asked for feedback. EVeryone like her version the best. Feedback on nanowrimo was completely different from what my friends gave me. THEy didn't like what my friend wrote. THey wanted more facts what is the book really about. How do you answer the question without giving away everything? SO that's what I'm trying - so far unsuccessfully - to do. I don't read the pitches on the back cover of the books that I buy. I get the gist of what they're telling me - "what''s the book about?" But where to go from there? I want to pitch it as climate fiction. That gives me a niche and a genre. It definitely contains climate fiction, but it focuses more on the rest of the story line, the the changing climate. it's not a dystopia - the opposite of a utopia where a fictional universe in the future is horrible - and most cli-fi is exactly that.

Also, I've had poison oak continuously since FEbruary. I keep getting a fresh batch before I can get rid of the previous rash. And yes, I use TEch-nu there's a tube in my shower. It's a soap that nutralized the oil from the poison oak so that my skin can heal. It helps.

ALso, my non-surgeried hip hurts. RAts!

Okay, rant finished.

happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:03 pm

InspireSuccess, On the BOards here, you can find the beginnings of my novel on the thread "SEarching for Kansas"

You can find short stories and bits of "TEmporary Address" on my blog. [url]Temporaryaddress-jody.blogspot.com[/url] It has all kinds for short bits - short stories, comments from Molly, my dog (by the way, Molly died two years ago. - sad.) It's a lot easier to read things on my blog than on BArbara's BOards, and most of the entries are shorter, so you can read the whole thing in a few minutes. AS you'll see if you visit my blog, I haven't posted in quite a while. But since my new novel is almost finished, I will probably start a new blog with a better title and post regularly ( I'll probably use a lot of the material from the TEmporary address blog.

That's it for me.

happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

29-Apr

Postby Lynx » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi,

Elaine: I don't write any fiction. All the red font is a quote from the opening of the give it a hundred thread.

About finding time ... I have a shipment coming mid June. Right now I'm plum out.

I don't know how easy it is to open thread on LSF. From the comments I've noticed it seems very easy.

My idea is we see if they'll let us crash the "give it a hundred" party. I can certainly run up a count for a month as my goal.

And, another month here with testing LSF is a good plan.

Yes, IS, I too have just the greatest regard from Barbara. But you mentioned and I've had that sense for a while that the site might have outlived it's drawing power now that Ms. Sher has retired.

I'm not sure how much of an expense it is for her to keep this running. In case there might come a time when it's retired, too, I started a collection of my own posts, one per year. I've done three years of the 13, I think, so far.

If the site hangs on till mid-June, I'll add more.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:09 pm

Elaine I'll check your blog. Searching for Kansas is the one I was referring to. That's the one I was reading as you were writing it.

What's a "pitch"? Is that what you send to a publishing house to see if they want to publish you?

Lalitha and I are starting an exercise thread if you want to join. EXERCISE May 2019.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

30-apt

Postby Lynx » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:10 am

Hi steppers,
Ah, open time. I’m seeing that it’s precious and now steer myself to get to it.

Honing in on completing a major part of the report I’m drafting. Maybe today. Maybe tomorrow.

Wed at moment is all open time. RedX chains at barest minimum and all else will be naps and easy walks. And more naps.

Then again, Sat & Sun.

Pulling back from the brink of over-extended. Found a Picasso quote I’m playing with like it’s a formula: “In a great work of art everything comes together, but just barely.”

“When I organize my time perfectly, it all comes together, but just barely.”

To the page,
L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories