May 2019 Steps-A-Day

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: May 2019 Steps-A-Day

Postby LalithaN » Fri May 10, 2019 12:20 am

Hi Lynx,
Thanks for the guidance. Now I'll try.
So I'm going to do it. Pick two with free intro offers and compare! My own A/B testing.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri May 10, 2019 8:21 am

Hi, everyone,

LalithaN, concerning your question about quotes - you can also quote the whole post and then delete what you don't want. Or you can just copy and paste, and add the name of the person whom you're quoting if that's easier. I have a lot of trouble with computers, so I'm always figuring out another way of doing things. When I was still working,

Today needs to be a day when I get a lot of mundane chores done. Tomorrow i have a book club meeting, and a party for my granddaughter. Today is a beautiful day in California. So onward!

My wish to write will take a back seat to cleaning and organizing. for the next few days, but hopefully I'll get a little writing done as well. One step at a time.

Haoot stepping everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

5/10 break #1

Postby Lynx » Fri May 10, 2019 9:31 am

Hi steppers,

LalithaN—nailed it!

Yes, as Elaine said, now that you know one way, you can add others.

I'm working on grant writing through May 24, so expect to see lots of posts about how it's going. Right now, though I said I'd try A/B testing, I learned something in my research that's changed my idea.

Turns out, Autoficial intelligence for speech recognition has dramatically improved since the last time I tried and gave up. I tried MacSpeech. After hours of dreary "training" it was not better than random guesses about what I said.

Not so anymore and there are at least 20 companies in the sector—it's at least a $3.7 billion industry. Think of all those court transcribers, medical transcriptions, graduate students' interviews, journalists, diarists, bloggers, podcasters, video projects wanting subtitles, etc. Huge!

So while learning all this one stood out: Otter.ai said it links with Zoom conference technology to complete a transcript within minutes.

Really? I have a zoom account. My puny tests didn't really show Otter's muscle. After I recorded my meeting with my client where we systematically answered the grant questions in order, Wow! It did a terrific job—with two African American voices! This isn't a small thing as I think that's what threw MacSpeech off the trail. Even Apple's new face recognition has problems with African faces (and also white women). With whom and where do they test these things?

But I distract. With otter doing such a terrific job my work is trimmed to A/A test. That part is done.

Right now, I have printed the questions and answers which I've taped, glued, and stapled into long strips—for just one question. I'll finish this one to a decent level of quality and move on.

Speaking of moving on, to the page,
L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Lynx, I'm not sure I followed all that but it sounds like you found some speech recognition that really works! Congrats! I love my speech recognition -- old version of Dragon.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 10, 2019 4:20 pm

Me? I "waste" a lot of time watching MSNBC. It seems like a waste because I have no one to talk politics with. I've been looking into some groups but haven't found anything yet. I keep reminding myself that keeping up on what's going on and continually learning about politics will serve me well once I meet someone to talk politics with. I just wish I had someone right now. Debates are starting in June and I have no one to watch with and nowhere to watch (I don't have cable TV). I can't do "watch parties" because of my hearing loss. I need one or two people to watch with in someone's home.

The biggest procrastination for me is YMCA. I know I'd feel better once I begin. It's the getting there and getting started that's keeping me from doing it. To all of you - feel free to ask daily "DID YOU GO TO THE YMCA TODAY?" If I get bugged enough I might get there faster.

I've been focused the last couple of months on meeting people and creating a schedule of having to be someplace at a specific time and day. I thought that was the easiest part of restarting my life. My therapist said no, it's really the hardest especially for someone who isn't an extrovert. So, maybe the reason it's hard isn't because I'm a no-good screw up, but because it's hard for lots of people, not just me. In that case maybe I'm doing well - a woman's group, a book club, a new close friend, a church, a food prep volunteer gig, a Vespers meditation group, an occasional community dinner, a community garden.

People keep talking about places like myneighborhood.com and nextdoor.com to get connected with people close to where I live. I'm planning on trying that. (Maybe I'll find a neighbor who likes politics and wants someone to watch debates with).

In the meantime.........YMCA?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Fri May 10, 2019 11:09 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:Lynx, I'm not sure I followed all that but it sounds like you found some speech recognition that really works! Congrats!

Hi Lynx,
For some days, you have been trying hard with speech reco programs. Though I can't completely grasp all the technicalities,you are doing hard work. Wish you success.
I worked as a translator before some years. I know transcription is a hard work.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Fri May 10, 2019 11:13 pm

Hi Elaine,
Happy cleaning and organizing.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Fri May 10, 2019 11:15 pm

Hi Inspire,
Every TV station uploads its popular programs in internet. Is there any way, you could watch your favourite show in internet with captions?
Last edited by LalithaN on Sat May 11, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Fri May 10, 2019 11:26 pm

Hi Everyone,
For the past three days, I have been collecting a lot of data about trading. I'm revising my workshop lessons, reading a book 'How to Day Trade for a Living'. Very useful book explaining simple but efficient strategies for Trading. But I prefer swing trading to Day trading, because it is relatively safe and I'm going to train for atleast 3 months before starting original trading.
I have revisited my simulator game and happy to find out the stocks I bought 6 months ago, had brought a profit . Joined another game too. So I have now, 1 crore rupees in one a/c and 10 lakhs and 3 thousand rupees in another. [10 lakhs is 1 million and 1 crore is 10 million and approx. 70 rupees 1 USD]
How rich I have become,friends! :lol:
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

elves

Postby Lynx » Sat May 11, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks for the support.

Inspire, can you game getting to the Y? Stalk it a bit? Hold a stake out across the street in a cafe and notice when it opens, how busy it gets, & when, what mood people have going in and coming out, etc.

This was a favorite tactic that the phenomenal therapist Milton Erickson used in a variety of his cases.

He had two clients, each looking for romance, who worked different shifts in the same place. Without violating confidentiality, he simply told each that at a time near the end of one shift and the beginning of the next on a specific day to go to a particular street corner and he or she would find something valuable there.

Each client did as instructed and milled about for a while "looking for something valuable." Eventually they started talking to that "stranger" also lurking at this corner and looking for something ... and found their love match.

I've been thinking about all the "elves" that support me. I'll list several at a time because some might need some explaining:

1. reading & writing skills
  2. Google Doc and Sheets
  3. sleep & dreams
  4. seeing fatigue on the horizon and feeling motivated to do something to push it out (so I looked up automatic transcription)
  5. this support site and my in-person support system
  6. experience with grants, research, & formal writing
  7. a kitchen timer! I use one with 4 countdown buttons, two of the buttons for client time, two for other things. Set to 2 hours, as I switch off tasks I stop or start the timer buttons.
  8. time management skills: setting priorities, saying No to distractions, checklists, calendars, more lists
  9. back of the mind thinking while appearing to be doing other things
  10. otter.ai & Zoom conferencing apps
Maybe more to add.
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Sat May 25, 2019 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: elves

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat May 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Lynx wrote:Inspire, can you game getting to the Y? Stalk it a bit? Hold a stake out across the street in a cafe and notice when it opens, how busy it gets, & when, what mood people have going in and coming out, etc. Lynx

I've thought about just driving there and counting that as my first step. Maybe I'll pick a class I would like to take and just drive there at that time without having to go inside. Then the next time go inside but just wander around. Then the next time take the class. I'll see if I can get myself to drive there next week. I'll check the class schedule. Thanks for reminding me that was my original goal before I started pushing too hard and then resisting the push.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat May 11, 2019 4:11 pm

LalithaN wrote: How rich I have become,friends! :lol:

:lol:

Congrats on putting in the time to get on track with this project. Good job!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat May 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Lynx, I loved the Erickson story! Maybe there are places I could just hang around to meet men rather than feeling like I have to be involved with something. I'll have to think about that.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun May 12, 2019 3:21 am

Hi Everyone,
How your day is going? Saturday, share market course became too much for me and I started a self help book 'The Perfect Day Formula', but my mind wasn't in it. So I started reading a romance novel. Author instead of being crisp, tested the story line's elasticity. I got bored and just read random pages in between and understood the storyline. With a romance, you can always be sure, everything ends well.
Then today, I almost finished sewing my blouse. Only hand hemming and hook and eyelet stitching is leftout. My patience worn out. So included it in tomorrow to-do-list.
:)
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun May 12, 2019 3:24 am

Hi Inspire,
Your idea to test the waters first is fine. Every small step is worthy in its value. So try to go to YMCA.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories