October 2019 Daily stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

October 2019 Daily stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:28 pm

October is here.

Commit to taking steps toward you goal. How many steps? That's up to you.
"Enlightened monk always welcome problem." Square Peg. (Thanks for that one.)

Happy Halloween.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10-2-19

Postby Lynx » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:31 am

Tanks EG for getting our thread opened for October.

Every thickening plots, oh my!

Had the second of two planned Start Up meetings yesterday. We met 19 miles out of town, and my client and her envoy were an hour late! I kept myself outside in the sun because I don't make excuses for other people. I try like heck not to ever need to make excuses for myself.

Anyway, first order of business was stripping 60 minutes off the planned agenda (the culture is start when you can, but we must end on time. Gotta luv ourselves for that one). So, we got much done because I didn't reduce the time for the main parts.

I always have visions of a triumph, and sometimes they poof into vapors, Poof!

Today, unpacking my bags, & seeing what I need to attend to.
Calling the utilities department about unnecessary (and charged for) liners in our yard waste bin.
Possibly dashing to the nearby university library to pick up a couple of books.
A Nap!
Meetings this afternoon and evening (for my other big project)

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: October 2019 Daily stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:29 am

An hour late is pretty shabby. I hope your client called (this is the day of cell phones) to let you know he/she would be late, but I don't suppose that happened.
It sounds as if you got some good work out of that meeting in spite of everything.

Me - just stepping along. Editing, and about to plunge into the terrifying world of social media. October goal is still five steps per day. (I've done about two steps today so far.) But the five steps will include setting up a blog with a better name and learning as much as possible about marketing on the Internet.

Here goes nothing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10-3

Postby Lynx » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:27 am

Oh, yup, she called me, I called her. With so many channels it's hard to know which to use: I don't carry a smart phone, and have 2#s, one office, and the other cell. But there's ways to put those in contact lists.

Shaking it off, moving forward. Really, nothing else to do.

I'm going to spend time soon (when my biorhythms are lower) emptying old project boxes to make room for this project.

Project quotes from Mr. Steve Jobs:

Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.

It (success) comes from saying no to 1,000 things to
make sure we don’t get on the wrong track
or try to do too much.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:05 pm

10 steps today.

And I learned some good things.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10-4 Fri

Postby Lynx » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:20 am

Hi,

Just took the Stoic Week test for this year's run. Here's a summary:

Satisfaction with Life Scale

Possible scores range from 5 (least satisfaction with life) to 35 (most satisfied with life)

The average score at the start of a previous Stoic Week was 22.3.

Your score now is 14 [10-14 = dissatisfied]

Scale of Positive and Negative Experience (SPANE)

A score of 12 would represent a high score.

Your score was 3

The average score at the start of a previous Stoic Week was 3.7

The ADS-SF (Anger Disorder Scale - Short Version)

Your score was 22 [in the normal range.]

Flourishing Scale

A high score represents a person with many psychological resources and strengths.

Your score is a range from 8 (lowest level of flourishing) to 56 (highest level of flourishing).

The average score at the start of a previous Stoic Week was 41.

Your score for Flourishing is 54

Stoic Attitudes and Beliefs Scales (SABS v5.0)
The higher the score, the more Stoic your attitudes and beliefs are. The possible scores range from 60 (completely unStoic) to 420 (completely Stoic).

Your score for Stoic Attitudes and Beliefs is 291

I'm very cautious about putting too much weight on scales and scores. They ask about the the past week for one scale. Turns out I have a lot I'm dissatisfied with this week, ask another week, and I'd give different answers.

Seems I'm flourishing. Hm. They're hoping to get empirical results showing the effects of Stoicism. As it's a project built from love (I don't have to pay) I'm happy to contribute to their research.

Steps:

1. Getting my Stoic Survey completed. Done
2. look at next week to make sure I prep well for workshop I'm running on Friday.
3. Plan out a couple of days traveling to a workshop in Tacoma.
4. Get to family constellation workshop tonight.

Elaine, 10 steps! Step on!
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:45 am

So the agent I really wanted didn't want me. I'm re'evaluating what I want to do with myself and my life. Yesterday, I did absolutely nothing. It didn't go very well. If my writing isn't going to be a success story - at least not in the get-published and have people read it sense, what do I want to do with my time? hmm. I don't have an answer right now. I had my blog pulled up (haven't added to it in ages.) and I found something a friend of mine wrote. It was in a letter which we read after she had died. Here's an excerpt:

"Now a word of parting advice: In everything you do you are creating part of reality itself. Every choice you make is a small piece in the patchwork of the universe. If you believe in God as the creative force that makes everything, you must be a piece of God because you make the universe every day, by how you treat other people, by the way you decorate your homes, by the work you choose to do, by the things you create whether they are works of art, or gardens or meals or groups you organize. Everything counts. so create well. And if you think of me, plant something green to contribute your share of oxygen to the planet. After all, I am a biologist.
I had fun. Hope you did too. Goodbye. I love you all."

hmmm.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:55 pm

Elaine,

Re: submitting your work. Once is not enough. I was hoping you had a list of five possible places and once you got a no you would just go to the next on the list.

You have a book. It's good. It's ready for an agent.

Next step. Next five steps since you're doing things in five steps. Find four more possible agents and submit. And submit. And submit. And submit.

We will push you up the hill. Once you roll to the bottom we will push you up again. And again. And again.

So get your butt in gear and go!

(I know it's hard. and disappointing. and discouraging. I know. Hugs.)
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Yes Hugs & Keep Chugging

Postby Lynx » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi steppers,

Inspire got it right. Who's this one person?

Here's the Lit Agent data base: https://www.pw.org/literary_agents

There are a lot of agents out there. Go find one.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:44 am

Thanks, guys.

I've queried about ten agents so far. But she's the one because she likes the kind of work I do. In my query letter I mention Barbara Kingsolver. In her profile she mentions Barbara Kingsolver. And the rest of her profile fits me as well. It's one of those "meant to be" things. Except that isn't going to be.

So I'm trying to print some raw work to take to an all-you-can-eat Indian restaurant I found. I still have about fifty agent who are accepting unknowns like me. Maybe I'll go ahead and query them. or I'll self-publish, I don't know. I'm in exploration mode.

And thanks, for your kind words about my writing, Inspire.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote: I've queried about ten agents so far.

Oh, good. You had me worried!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:59 pm

I tried editing this and ended up with what's above.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:03 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:Lynx, I know you don't usually read other threads so here's an update on my situation. After reviewing the last 6 months I was able to put together a group of symptoms for my doctor to ask for help. Extreme fatigue, feel weak all the time, lack of appetite, slow weight loss (10 lbs over 6 months), unable to do much of anything that requires any exertion. Test results showed iron levels so low doctor thought I might be bleeding in my intestines. Of course, hearing that, I panicked. The tests recommended were endoscopy and colonoscopy which I've heard horrible things about. My first panic is who is going to take me to the hospital when I have no family or friends. I always worry about that first before I even think about the physical problem. Memories of so many times I couldn't go to a doctor for lack of transportation. All the times I've driven myself to the ER for lack of money to pay for an ambulance. Lots of bad experiences over the years being alone.

This time, the new church I've been going to for a year provided me with a ride. I kept chanting to myself, "I have a ride. I have a ride. I have a ride." I can't even put into words how much that meant to me.

The tests went fine. Not as awful as I anticipated. No bleeding.

Next step. IV infusions of iron weekly for 5 weeks. Plus, supplements.

Today is a typical example of a day. I got up. Had breakfast. Checked political news. Laid down for 5 hours. Not sleeping. Just lying there. Resting. That's what I do all day -- rest. Sometimes, I feel well enough to read for awhile. Sometimes I watch TV for 2 hours. Sometimes, I go for a walk at the end of the day. I stopped walking this past week because of all the stress. Started again last night but very short walk.

Lying down today I thought of 30 years ago when I was submitting my designs for publication. What a different life I had. Will I ever do anything I care about again? It's hard to imagine after so many months of barely being able to do anything. I've put swimming on hold until I have more energy.

I will turn 65 in March. Officially, a senior under everything government or private charity. Finally, I will qualify for things like free rides to a doctor's appointment or to the grocery store. When I feel better I'll do research and make a list of all places I can get rides from or qualify for other things. All these years I missed out on help because of my age. Too young for help. That's what I've always been told from the government and private charities.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Inspire, no wonder you were feeling depressed. I didn't even think of a physical cause. I'm glad you're getting help, and I hope you feel better soon. It does sound as if things are looking up for you, being eligible for senior perks, having friends who will drive you to the hospital, and best of all finding out that your iron was low, and getting treated for it.

Cautiously, optimistic.

Wishing you all good things.

Elaine
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10-8

Postby Lynx » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:48 pm

Thanks Inspire for updating us. Iron deficiency treated with IV infusions for 5 weeks & supplements. Each infusion takes hours if my search results are valid. Let us know week by week how much better you're feeling & getting on with your living. My spirits are with you.

Myself, off to a conference today and again tomorrow. Getting up @ 5:28 today & 5:23 tomorrow (because I have to leave the house 5 minutes sooner @ 6:25 am), to make sure I make my first of 3 public transit connections: bus to light rail to bus to Tacoma by 8:30 when their keynotes get rolling.

Making daily small steps on my will for about 26 consecutive days. Right now I'm researching ethical wills (which are expressions of one's philosophy about life and what moral messages you want to leave others with).

To the sheets,
L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories