Oakland Success Team

Find each other here and set up your own informal Success Teams. Registered leaders will visit and can be asked questions.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby Painter563 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:58 pm

Hi Everyone, Wow, I log on today and see 14 posts! Oakland is getting busy. I see there is momentum in the direction of an online group. That’s great! As for me I need more than an online experience. So I propose another option for those of us who need more support. One of Barbara’s key points is, "Isolation is the dream killer." Working online in the end is still just me sitting alone in front of a computer screen. Over the long haul I know I will not put out the same effort as I would if I had to meet face to face with a determined, creative, and supportive group of people who have put aside the time every week for the sole purpose of making each others dreams come true. I also believe in enlisting experienced guidance if you can get it and its affordable. Christine has posted an invitation to provide this guidance via the 8 week Certified Success Team program. It may cost a few bucks, but it may be worth it. I have sent Christine an inquiry but have yet to hear back from her. My “dream” group would have these qualities: 1) The group will be determined, creative, and supportive to help each member define and achieve their dream(s). 2) it would meet weekly using the Sher Success Team model. 3) it takes advantage of Christine’s offer (provided we believe it will help us get a good start and think its worth the cost.) 4) it will potentially be for the long haul because big dreams take time and new dreams always pop up. My guess is if the group really works, and each of us start to live our dreams more fully, we will treasure the weekly meetings and can’t imagine succeeding more efficiently without them. I'm thinking long term here and I'm thinking what is the best possible situation I can put myself in that will lead to me living my dreams. Any thoughts? Anyone up for one heck of a ride, some hard work, some serious whining, and a lot of fun? Let me know. Email me. [This message has been edited by Painter563 (edited December 04, 2003).]
Painter563
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby mrinfo » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:02 am

Hello Everyone, While I agree with Painter in theory, some of us just don't have the time for a face-to-face group. Is there sufficient interest for two groups at this time? Otherwise, my fear is that the initial energy and motivation will sputter off into oblivion...which might be symptomatic of the reason(s) we've all come here in the first place. I'd like to know people's honest thoughts and assessments. Then, we either need to get off our butts and get started, one way or the other, or stop fooling ourselves and each other. Anyway, my two cents. Ron
mrinfo
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Hushdwhisper » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:19 pm

HI Everyone! Earlier this week I went through both threads and send an email to everyone (with an email in their profile) to try to get us all involved in one discussion. My suggestion was that we form two groups. Several people have expressed an interest in a predominantly virtual group due to time constraints and schedules. Other people have professed an need for a face-to-face group. As Christine is a Certified Success Team coach willing to lead a group in Oakalnd and had already expressed that she would be contacting everyone in the next few days, I felt it best to leave the organization of the in-person group to her as she seemed the most qualified to do so, especially if she'd be traveling to facilitate the group. In my email I suggested that those interested in the online group register with the weloveoakland site, as a space had already been set up for us by another Sher board member, and reply on the board with their availability so that we can schedule an initial meeting to work out the details for the web-based group. I sense several people are getting frustrated and I'm afraid we are going to lose possible participants. That is why I stepped in and sent the email. It appears to me that instead of pooling our energies into one or two groups there are too many cooks in the kitchen as my Grannie use to say. I requested people to let me know if they were interested in starting a group several months ago and recently got a few responses. Brian sent out an email earlier this week indicating he would be facilitating a group. Someone else set up a web-space for us. And Christine has offered to do a group in Oakland as well. So as you can see we have 4 potential groups competing for the 7 or so people who have expressed an interest in an Oakland area group. So here's my take on the situation. At present the only responses I've seen to the emails or on the boards have been from the three of us. I suggest that we give everyone until next week before making a decision since not everyone can visit the boards daily. That will also give Christine, bless her heart, time to contact us and let us know her availability, work out details of location, time frame and fees. Then say on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week we can make a decision as to whether we have enough interest for 2 groups. If not, perhaps the three of us can work with Christine as an in-person group. (Are you open to that Ron? I can't recall what you're schedule is like.) My initial preference for a predominately on-line group was preempted by the lack of childcare in the evenings for my 5 year old, so my participation would be contingent upon the group feeling comfortable with her accompanying me to in-person meetings. I don't want to see us lose the momentum, but I also believe we need to give people a chance to respond. Does anyone else have other suggestions? If so, I'd love to hear them. Faith
Hushdwhisper
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby mrinfo » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:08 pm

Thanks for all your efforts, Faith. Sounds like a good plan to me. You have already demonstrated leadership, organizational and resourcefulness qualities. Remember that if and when the group forms. I'm probably one of those frustrated people to whom you refer. As I've stated all along, while online would be the easiest if not the best option , I am flexible and could go with a majority decision for in-person. The one thing I don't want to happen is for the initial mostivation and enthusiasm (mine or anyone else's) to dissipate before we even get this off the ground. Ron
mrinfo
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Hushdwhisper » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:23 pm

Ron, Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad to hear that you are open to either option. Byron, It sounds as if the three of us are in it for the long haul. I have a few thoughts and possible suggestions as to what we can do to keep from losing enthusiasm over the next week. Have you already read Wishcraft? If not, why not look into it. It's available online in .pdf at www.wishcraft.com. There are a lot of exercises to consider while developing your dream(s). Second, if you have read Wishcraft, and have some idea of your goal(s) why not use the Sher Boards here. I've been using them for the last several months and it's been good for me. Especially the Idea Party threads and Interesting Finds threads. If you have a flow chart set up why not check out the Dec Steps thread under Success Stories. Several of us have been using it weekly as a success team check in. You might also consider providing support to some of the other Sher Boarders in these various threads. In the meantime, don't give up your dream or your desire to live the life you want and we'll finalize something by the Wednesday of next week. Faith
Hushdwhisper
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Painter563 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:29 pm

Dear Ron, Faith, and anyone else out there considering a long term weekly group (even those of you yet to post…c’mon give us a holler), Thanks for your efforts Faith - I see you’ve been doing the background work necessary to make things happen, and I can tell you have done it with style. I don’t know your dream "status" but I can bet it won’t just be a dream much longer. A thank you to Ron as well for encouraging action. I look forward to working in a long term group with both of you should the logistics work out. For the sake of clarity this is what I am looking for in a long term group: 1) 4-6 people committed to showing up each week 2) follow the Sher Success Team model 3) enlist the guidance of a Registered Team Leader for the 8 week course to guarantee a good start 4) be timely, focused, fair and supportive 5) A 4 month commitment (and see what happens after that) Please share your thoughts. It’s important to begin while we have the momentum, but it is also important to reach consensus on what we are committing to. Please be frank. My email is posted if you wish a more private discussion. 'til Tuesday, Byron ps - On Tuesday I had a terrific conversation with Susan, the success team leader in Sausalito. I asked her what characteristics she found common in those people who succeeded with the program. She said only one thing…they always showed up. That’s it? That’s it, the only thing they had in common is that they showed up to all the weekly meetings. [This message has been edited by Painter563 (edited December 05, 2003).]
Painter563
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby mrinfo » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:07 pm

Hello Byron, Thanks for the positive feeback, encouragement and support. Hopefully we can sustain this within the formal group as well. Excellent outline. And I fully intend on showing up. Lol. Take care, all. Have a wonderful, relaxing weekend. Anyone wishing to continue this dialogue please contact me here or via my private email. Ron
mrinfo
New Poster
New Poster

Postby fungineer » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:27 am

Hi all, One thing I\'m noticing are the different personality styles involved here. I don\'t know if that\'s relevant to the formation of a group, I imagine diversity is important. I for one, like to jump on ideas and begin working on them immediately. I\'m more of the ready, fire, aim type of personality. So, to be honest, all this going back and forth and planning is killing me. :-) hahaha.. Please keep me posted via email since I don\'t check these boards every day. Brian
fungineer
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Painter563 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrisgo: <B>Hi, I'm a registered Success Team leader. I live in Martinez but would be happy to lead a group in the Oakland area as well. I'll contact each of you in the next day or so - looks like a good team!! Christine</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hi Chrisgo, Are you still interested in working with us? If you replied to my email of a few days ago please send again, I did not get it. Looking forward, Byron
Painter563
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Hushdwhisper » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:57 pm

For anyone still looking for a Bay Area Virtual Team, I\'ve set up a group for us on Yahoo!. To join us, just send an email to ebvirtualsuccessteam-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. I do not have an update on the status of the face-2-face team. Perhaps someone working on that group (Chris or Byron maybe) can update the boards for newcomers. Faith
Hushdwhisper
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Painter563 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hushdwhisper: <B> I do not have an update on the status of the face-2-face team. Perhaps someone working on that group (Chris or Byron maybe) can update the boards for newcomers. Faith</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hi Faith I assume no one has heard from the Martinez leader - Christine. Sandy from Hercules just posted to lead a Registered Team I will contact her today. She will be hosting the group in Hercules (just above Richmond) for 8 weeks probably on Tues. at 7 pm beginning Jan 13. Anyone interested? I am. We could get a good start to our group through the guidance of the Sher program and if we like the dynamics continue our group in the Oakland/Berkeley area. Who wants to join me. See Sandy\'s post on the Registered Success Teams forum. Here is a paste from her post: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ExitRatRace: <I>What do you dream? We\'ll help you get there! The new year is approaching and we are ready to go for those dreams--together! We still need a few more members for our next eight week session starting in January 2004 in Hercules, California. Cost is $75 and includes workbook and materials. (Please note! This is an introductory price for our \"Charter Members\" who are going to help us kick off the new year!) Join us! Sandy Swain - Registered Success Team Leader for San Francisco East Bay teams@whatdoyoudream.com http://www.whatdoyoudream.com </I><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> -Byron [This message has been edited by Painter563 (edited December 11, 2003).]
Painter563
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby chrisgo » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:58 pm

I sent group email to everyone Faith had "collected" last week - heard back from 1 person that their time was too committed, another that wants to meet on weekends - nothing from anyone else. I'm available Mon, Tues, Thurs. evenings and Sundays (in the winter Image at 5pm. Let me know what you all would like to do. christine Martinez Sucess Group Leader ------------------
chrisgo
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby ExitRatRace » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:44 pm

My goodness! What a terrific, enthusiastic group of people here in the Oakland area! I should have been monitoring the \"informal\" Success Team Board more often! I talked to Byron this afternoon and he is going to be gathering up a group of those who would be interested in getting together a team somewhere between Oakland and Hercules. I\'m certainly willing to drive some if there is enough interest. The registered leaders in the Bay Area (Myself, Christine in Martinez, Susan in Sausalito, and probably Kim in San Jose) are planning to have a conference call next week to figure out how to best carve up our areas of service so that everyone who desires to join a registered 8-week success team may do so. I\'ll keep you all posted and meanwhile, feel free contact me at teams@whatdoyoudream.com. Let\'s get together and go for those dreams! :-) Sandy Swain, Registered Leader for San Francisco Bay Area-Hercules/East Bay Region http://www.whatdoyoudream.com
ExitRatRace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Painter563 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:50 pm

Hi potential Sher Success Team Oakland members! Today, I spoke with Sandy Swain - a Registered Success Team Leader with the Barbara Sher program. She has offered to lead our team through Barbara’s 8 week course (see www.shersuccessteams.com). I think this is a splendid opportunity for us to get a great start to our team and at a very reasonable price. An added bonus is that Sandy is willing to drive down to meet us once a week in Berkeley or even Emeryville (if we can find a place) or, if we have no other choice, at my art studio just off the freeway in West Oakland. Both Sandy and I are pretty flexible with times - we would prefer a weekday afternoon, but a weekday evening is fine too. I have culled the following interested folk from the recent posts. Please contact me via email if I have missed you or you wish to add your name to the list. Ron (aka mrinfo) - npauthor@earthlink.net Faith (aka Hushdwhipser) - fragan@juno.com realistdreamer@weloveoakland.com “Flora Fauna” - awareness_is_all@yahoo.com “Caceo” - foreo1k@aol.com Walt (aka Spellbinder) - merlynsf@aol.com Brian (aka fungineer) - email@cafeinnovation.com ?? Byron - Painter563@hotmail.com also Robert and Sharon from Sandy\'s list. We have been considering making this happen. Now is the time. Let’s start talking details. If your up for this project email me 3 meeting time preferences, and any times you absolutely can not make it. Again, I would prefer weekday afternoons, but understand many of us do not have this flexibility. (Faith, perhaps we can brainstorm your childcare needs). Since Barbara’s recent KQED broadcasts, Sandy has been swamped with inquiries. I believe the group is limited to six, so please contact me ASAP. I promised to contact Sandy on Wednesday, December 17, with the team list. Good luck to all and Go Team, -Byron [This message has been edited by Painter563 (edited December 12, 2003).]
Painter563
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Painter563 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ExitRatRace: <B> Sandy Swain, Registered Leader for San Francisco Bay Area-Hercules/East Bay Region http://www.whatdoyoudream.com </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hi Folks, As far as I know space is still available for the Oakland team. go to Sandy's site to sign up and get more info. -ptr.
Painter563
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Informal Success Teams