WISHCRAFT: HOW TO GET WHAT YOU *REALLY* WANT

Kudos for Barbara's workshops, audio programs, workbook courses, PBS specials and books

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

WISHCRAFT: HOW TO GET WHAT YOU *REALLY* WANT

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:26 pm

on 11/16/02 1:51 PM, rd wrote: Dear Barbara - More than 10 years ago I read your book Wishcraft. Divorced, and just having broken up with another long term live together boyfriend, I picked up your book in an effort to get my life in order. And I just want you to know that although I'm now at the point of making changes again, your book brought not only me but two friends of mine into the careers they hoped for. (And since one of them died very unexpectedly at age 35 having realized his childhood dream, you should know the value of your work is priceless.) Thanks for having the courage to pursue your dreams and the generosity to help others realize theirs. Regina
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:27 pm

From Amazon.com reviewer: I'm not one to rant and rave over a book. One of the biggest complements that I can give a book is to say that I will never throw it away, and I will read it at least once per year without fail. I've had this book for about 4 years now, and I've read it 5-6 times, and I will never throw it away (at least, I might, but only to replace it with a less dog-eared copy). Its simplicity, elegance, and plain- talking, combined with sold, practical advice, make it one of my favourite books.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:29 pm

A book that can change your life., October 27, 2001 Reviewer: A reader from San Diego County, CA In 1992 a counselor recommended this book for me when I was seeking advice on changing careers. I thought "Yeah, sure. Like a "self help" book could really be helpful, and sheesh, with a name like "Wishcraft"... Must be a bunch of hooey." Well, it actually is helpful. Get it, read it, do the exercises in it. It can help you change your life. When I look at the changes I've made over the past 9 years due to what I learned from working through this book I'm astonished. I'm actually conscious of "Wishcraft" related approaches to my life almost weekly, even after 9 years. I really should read it again now. I've recommended it to dozens of people, and just came here to buy a copy for my husband (he can't have mine!). I didn't know Barbara Sher had other books out - so I just bought them, too - let's see what else she has to offer! If you are considering buying this book, do it. And buy a spare to loan to friends.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:32 pm

readable, practical, valuable, November 22, 2002 Reviewer: A reader from Allentown, PA USA Ms. Sher has one of the most accessible writing styles I have found in a book of this type. Her ideas are easy to grasp and practical to implement, and fun! I recommend this book to all my friends who are expriencing general dissatisfaction with their life but who are not sure what direction to take next. The book has excellent goal setting exercises. It can be used again and again to plan and actualize various aspects of your life's dreams. One note of caution: bear in mind one of the other reviewer's comments about accepting everything in this book as gospel truth, especially the case studies and anecdotal results. Then read "Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi for some ideas with actual scientific backing. (No that's not a typo!) Then take out "Wishcraft" and get to work. The strength of this book is the clear and imaginative presentation of concrete techniques! -
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:45 pm

I'd Give It 5,000 Stars If I Could, May 18, 2000 Reviewer: from Bloomington, Indiana. I've used Wishcraft to totally change my life. This book spoke to me like no other. It is like a What Color is Your Parachute for people (like me) who don't want a corporate job. For 13 years I worked as a secretary while my talents went unused. Now at age 44 I've returned to school to study video production, and a video I wrote and directed is going to be shown on IFILM.com and probably elsewhere. I am living proof that it possible to make changes in your life, live your dreams, and do things you never thought possible. After some 20 years in print, Wishcraft is the still the best tool I know of to start your journey. CAUTION: You must do the exercises in the book to derive any benefit. I did every exercise, many more than once.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:47 pm

The most valuable book in my library!, August 8, 1999 Reviewer: from London I can't thank Barbara Sher enough for this book. It is made for procrastinators like me who know we're made for greater things, but can't for the life of us figure out what. It is split into two parts. The first section puts you back in touch with your childhood genius (we were ALL geniuses) and helps you figure out what you love and what you want. The second section shows you exactly how to get it. It's simple, brilliant, and if I can do it, anyone can. I read this book two years ago (after putting it off for 4, of course) and have realised my dream of being a cartoon voice! Buy it, but more importantly, don't put off reading it.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:50 pm

The single best career and life planning book I've ever read, from Santa Fe, NM Most books on life planning have, to my mind, two fatal flaws: they assume that your "strengths" are an infallible guide to what you "should" be doing with your life; and they then attempt to map this to a "career." Barbara Sher starts with the basics: what is most important to YOU? Given that, how are you to get it? (And this doesn't necessarily translate into "career"!) Sher also takes the planning process beyond self-analysis and shows you, in clear and practical terms, how to get the help you need to achieve what you want. Her subsequent books are all worth reading, but start with this one; it's a breath of fresh air amongst the hundreds of "Find the Right Career For You" look-alike guides!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:51 pm

One of the best self-help books on the market today. from Moberly, MO This is truly a life-changing book. If there is anything at all that you have wanted to do with your life, Barbara Sher shows you how to accomplish it--regardless of how small or how large your goal may be. I read this book 10 years ago, and by following her step by step process I have reached goals in my life that I had thought were impossible. Not only do I remommend this book to anyone who wants or needs to change their life, I bought copies for my sisters, my friends, and my mother! The greatest thing that I learned from this book is "If it has ever been done by anyone, it can be done by you!" That line alone opened up a whole new world for me. Rose Sheridan
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:52 pm

Extraordinary; inspiring; life-changing., Nobody does motivation better than Sher. This classic is divided into two main sections: the "wish" part (wherein Sher assists readers in figuring out just what it is we want) and the "craft" part (wherein we learn some of the most powerful techniques ever described for how to achieve our heart's desires). Full of inspiring advice presented in a folksy, approachable style. Contains one of my favourite Sher quotes (keeping in mind that I've highlighted almost the entire book): "Life is short, but it's wide!" Enthusiastically recommended
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:56 pm

"Splendid! A guide, a companion, a visionary work." Judy Collins
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:00 pm

Dear Barbara I wanted to drop you a note to thank you for your wonderful book "Wishcraft". I wish I could explain to you in words just how unhappy I was 2 years ago...Awful job that paid my bills but left me "braindead". But now, thanks in great part to your book, I have a full time job that I am excited about outside of that "braindead" industry as well as a part-time job in the Sports/Broadcasting field (My Dream Job!!!) I get to stick a microphone in the face of some of the most famous baseball, hockey, basketball and football players in the game. I have a press-pass!! I get paid to watch and report on sports!!! Can you guess that I am on "cloud 9"? Thank You Again!! MY
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:02 pm

"Your book was the most valuable book I have ever read. I became a professor in Mexico and lived a beautiful life for 2 1/2 years as a result of a Success Team." G.S., Maryland
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:05 pm

Dear Barbara I wanted to report that after 3 plus years of consulting your books: Wishcraft, Live the Life You Love, and I Could Do Anything If I Knew What It Was, I have reached my goal of becoming a tour guide leading tours in Europe. ..[What] helped me the most was to keep going and to connect as much as possible with people who could help me. Thank you for writing such helpful books that got me to develop an achievble action plan, which brought me to this point and for uncovering things that put barriers in our way to accomplishing our life goals. Sincerely, T.B. , California
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:15 pm

> Barbara: > > I am a big fan. I have read Wishcraft and I Could do Anything...more than > once. I have bought many copies of each which I gave away, before I developed > the lending book concept. I now have copies to lend plus my own. I'm going > to read your other books, now that I know about them. > When my daughter was about 10 we used to have mall races. You pick a finish line and say, Go! Then you race to the spot, but you have to step in every > single floor tile. There is a lot of exertion and laughter, but not much > forward movement. People nudge each other and smile. When you're done you > buy one fresh-baked cookie and a soda apiece. > > It's wonderful when you find someone else who understands.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:16 pm

My career took off like a rocket when I read this book! It's not just a book that you read, it's a book that you DO. Great exercises, especially if you don't know what you want. Last 1/2 of book is SCHEMES on how to get there! I am a professional speaker and I recommend this book to ALL my audiences. AS
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Rave Reviews