Is anybody out there making progress?

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Is anybody out there making progress?

Postby jcjm » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:52 pm

Is anybody out there making progress? I checked the success posts and there weren’t too many and the ones that were out there were moral victories more than reaching a goal, doing what you love and making a living at it. I’m pretty much in the same boat as everyone else, and the only thing I can think of to say comes from pondering someone else’s post earlier today. It seems as the song goes we are all “living for the weekend”. We work 5 days a week, are too tired to pursue our dream Monday to Friday and then try to do what we love on Saturday & Sunday. Maybe we should work the weekend at a crap job to pay the bills and pursue our passion the rest of the week. Or at least as Barbara has mentioned in one of her books split the week more proportionally job to dream.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:57 pm

I have felt the same way about the boards recently. I seem to see a lot of whining and excuses and not a whole lot of things that I or others could give practical suggestions or resources for. There especially was a lot of political harping immedietly before and after the election that pretty much turned my stomach. I tried suggesting that these forums were not the place to try and divide us into two camps. We were supposed to be here to help each other. I was soundly shot down. I have been quietly pusuing my dreams, and making good progress. I have realized that these boards can only take you so far and after that it's up to you to take action. I have gotten some good suggestions from these boards, especially from Barbara Sher herself when whe was here in Des Moines. I have tried to return the favor as much as I can, but yes it's hard when there's no real suggestion to be made, or it's met with , "Yes, but..." or "Tried that". I also realized I was using these boards as a distraction that kept me from doing the hard work I needed to do to pursue my dreams. I have cut down my viewing time and responses and focused more on taking action.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tricia56 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:33 pm

I would love to post success - I am trying - but again lack of funds and people out there with lack of funds make success difficult. I would think most of us are trying - but trying does not always mean success. You can't force someone to buy your products, write a check or reference or publish your work or hire you for a job. Yes the economy is not good right now - especially if you live in no wheresville. But people do try.
Tricia56
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby das813 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:29 pm

Well I haven't exactly reached my goals but i've moved in a more artistic direction with my needlecrafts which gives me great joy and I'm actually getting incredible buzz, not much success in the financial department slightly better than before artistic breakthrough but you need motivation in success and I need motivation in crowing about my business without taking the big leap on the success board. I know next year will be more successful for both of us. Happy creating!
das813
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby yinyangchi » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:02 pm

I sense lots of stagnation. I'm having trouble formulating my wishes into something concrete. I think people have really forgotten how to cooperate with each other. Our culture has been marginalize into various markets and people are made to feel obsolete. I hope that last days of 2004 mark the end of this negative state and 2005 will turn into a more positive, cooperative, prosperus year!
yinyangchi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby engelein » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:59 am

I started posting a couple of years ago. Since then I've given up the steady job and started working freelance. This gives me more time to persue my goal of becoming an opera singer, but brings in less money. I auditioned for and got a place at a good opera summer school this year. It's going to be a couple more years until I'm really ready to start auditioning professionally. In the meantime all I can try and do is get more concert work. I think there is a tendency for those of us who have been around a long time to stop shouting about every little success. Perhaps that's partly what we're seeing here. And/or we move on to more specific websites (in my case, for example, a site for classical singers where I can get more specific help).
engelein
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annie B » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:51 am

I was so close to posting my success story on these Boards. I actually kept saying "wow, I can't believe I'm going to reach my dream and be able to post my story". I had it all crafted out in my head. Well, I blew it. I was offered my dream job but declined because of money reasons and decided to go a safe route and take a better paying (but less satisfying) job with potential for stability and security. As it turned out, the "steady" job turned not to be stable and not only am I out of work soon - but am back at square one. This is no ones fault but my own for not trusting my heart. It's devastating but I'm working my way through it as best I can. I'm trying to understand why this happened and what I can learn from it. I think these Boards offer a great support system - they make you realize you're not out there alone working pursuing your dreams and are not foolish for trying. But the reality is people's success is almost entirely dependent on the actions they take to make things happen.
Annie B
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Wogglebug » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:54 am

I think I'm making some progress. After cutting back everywhere and saving every penny I could get my hands on for the last five years I have finally, after sixteen years of torture, given my notice at my place of employment. My goal/plan is to spend the next year on my love of making fine art porcelain dolls and one of a kind Christmas ornaments. To create a small home business that will pay my bills and allow me to save a little money. To begin with I will be selling to local gift shops and online beginning with Ebay. At the end of the year one I will reassess my progress and goals. These steps are huge for me but they took a lot of planning and a lot of time to implement. Worth every minute if you ask me. Working on not living for the weekends,
Wogs
Wogglebug
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby jcjm » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:56 am

Wow, I was surprised to see so many responses in such a short time. I haven’t been posting to the boards as much as I use to and there are a lot of new people since I first started posting. I kind of see the boards as a modern day Knights of the Round Table thing. Where every persons comment is as good as the next persons and diversity brings about answers that wouldn’t have been thought of by one person. So I would like to hear about people’s accomplishments to be encouraged by them. With that said, I have to say that I too am turned off by the posts that just want to whine. When I see those peoples names on other posts it subconsciously reflects negatively on what they say, even though I try to be open to various points of view. I have a tendency to just skip over their post because it’s probably more of the same. The reason why, is because I am generally looking for an answer to a question and if someone is going to tell me all the reasons something won’t work, I’m wasting my time. I already know why it won’t work, I want to know how can I make it work? From some of the recent posts, it seems people don’t have the time to pursue their dreams because they are spending 40 plus hours a week at their job and they get burned out after a while and just want to go home and rest to do it all over tomorrow. I can understand this. When I was going to college I worked a full time job, as well as taking 3 classes and working a part time job, but that gets old fast and you can’t keep up that pace from 20 to 40 or 50. So you do what needs to be done (your job) and try to fit in as much as you can in the hours that are left. Then you go on vacation or are off for a 4 day weekend (Thanksgiving, etc.) and you start to get rejuvenated and want more than the 9 to 5. So, I guess vacations and time off are necessary to keeping on track and not letting a job become your life. How boring is that to work at a job for 20 years only to have a company decide they don’t need you anymore and that job is your life. I’m working on trying to stay out of the rat race as much as possible and as Barbara says, look for “possibilities not availabilities”. I’m just sorry we are all spread out all over the world, because I think we would be able to help each other more if we were all in the same place.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:23 am

A little while ago Barbara posted that she advised experienced posters to take a step back and not rush in to threads. I don't remember the thread she posted this on but basically she was concerned about the tone of the board and people getting burned out. Barbara's advice (darn good if you ask me) was that if your initial reaction of a post is negative or you want to do "tough love" - just walk away and don't post to that thread. I've noticed a couple that, for a lack of a better term, are bait to get people upset. And then they have the nerve to say "don't bother answering this, as I'll ignore it." They need to get a life. I have noticed that when people spend alot of time on the Internet (this board or others), they are using it as an avoidance tool so they aren't doing anything towards their dream. As for me, I've made alot of progress this year. I don't post under Success unless it is one of those pivotal achievements. The everyday items (like I made a call or wrote a marketing piece), I don't bother with because it would become silly. One of the big frustrations experienced posters have with the newbies is that they don't read the guidelines for posting. Barbara wants them to CONTRIBUTE to other treads BEFORE asking for help themselves. It is also more or less expected that they at least have read one of her books! So many post but don't want to do the work. They don't come back to follow up after we give them advice to let us know the result. This tends to make a body less likely to help out again if it is just an exercise in typing.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby serialdreamer » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:00 pm

jcjm... you should stop your own whining about everyone else's whining and be the change you want to see in the world or at least on these boards.... I make progress every week with my business and my health issues - people come and go on these boards, I find most of us just need a good kick in the pants, and anyway I think 9 times out of ten people know what needs to be done they just are not doing it- You are the only one that create the change in your life, not us.
serialdreamer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jcjm » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:18 pm

To clarify: My second post was a response to the posts since my original post asking if anybody is making progress and included a paragraph in response to urbanpioneers post regarding whining. I’ve made less than 15 posts in the last year so I’m not sure where the “you should stop your own whining about everyone else's whining and be the change you want to see in the world or at least on these boards” comes from. I’m just asking where people are making progress and how this can be beneficial to the rest of the community.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:11 pm

Ah yes, the ChattyCathy post. I think Barbara edited (as in deleted from) it. Jcjm, I didn't take your post as whining at all ... for what it's worth.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:16 pm

Thanks Vict. Here is Barbara's quote
We have a rule here, for newcomers who may not know and oldtimers who need reminding: if someone puts up a post that makes you feel impatient or exasperated, do not answer it. Just go to another forum. Sarcasm is out of bounds. Please don't use it on this board. For everyone: remember, you do not have to respond to a post just because it's there. This probably goes for your life as well as this board, when you look at it. Think before you act. Your input is valuable to this whole board so if you find yourself getting burned out, I'm going to blame you, not the people you've tried to help. If, of course, you really want to reply, do so. Just don't assume it's always required. There are lots of new people here who will jump in if you don't. They may have fresh viewpoints to contribute, so don't worry that someone won't get helped.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby das813 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:41 pm

I for one try very hard to only say something when I have something positive to say, there are enough naysayers in the real(non internet) world without adding my words to them. I tend to disappear when I am having a hard time because we all have them and sharing them only makes me and others wallow in it. This time I have disappeared for a positive reason, I have been incredibly creative and have not wanted to run my fingers across the tempting keys of my keyboard. I have to agree with Tituba(I think), long hours on the computer are an avoidance technique. All that being said, persistence and baby steps are the only real answers to success. A silver bullet or quick fix isn't the answer. As far as the beginning post, it was a good start, but you have to keep coming in order to really get to read great successful posts. Maybe they are just too successful at the moment to crow about them. This is a great place to come and try to be helpful and a great place to be to be helped. Good luck on your journey, persistence and baby steps.
das813
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions