Travel Cheap

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Travel Cheap

Postby AzureSquid » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:58 pm

Part of my dream involves travel. This post is an extension of my other post in Wishes and Obstacles called “Travel wish.” Sometimes we (at least I) get into the habit of thinking that I have to make a fortune before I do my dream or travel places, and now I realize it is simply not the case. Since many of our dreams involve travel, I’d like to brainstorm as many ways as possible to travel at significantly reduced price or even for free! Here’s my ideas to start the ball rolling. 1) Build up frequent flyer travel miles by using products or services that credit you for doing so. For example, I have a credit card that gives me miles for every $ I spend by using the card. When you accumulate enough miles, you get a free ticket. 2) Become a Courier. 3) Work as a tour group organizer/guide. The group rate or package deal allows you to get better price or a free ticket. 4) Work as a crew member on a cruse ship. (Don’t know how fun this would be, but you’d at least be traveling.) 5) If you know a second language, get hired as an interpreter to go along on someone else’s trip. 6) Enter contests where a free trip is the prize. You never know, you may win. Well, that’s my start. I’d love to hear the rest of your ideas on how to travel on the cheap!? Ben
AzureSquid
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby WikiJane » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:32 am

travel on the cheap ... - become a traveling nanny ... specialize in clients who travel with kids and need a caretaker person - same but with profession of "home school teacher" - there actually is a "semester at sea" traveling university. Become a teacher or staff there - become staff on other NGO ships (there are several health service ships) - learn to teach English. Travel to a job. Save. travel and stop for another job when you need more $. Jane
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Process Facilitator for Individuals and Groups Cranio-sacral therapist
WikiJane
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Moonracer » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:35 pm

I have a friend who whose brother owned a temp agency. His firm was hired by a couple of airlines to check their service--sort of secret shopping on a jet. The travelers were paid for their time, and got their travel for free. The only hitch would be your itinerary. I expect they'd want you to travel on certain flights. It might be worth checking out.
Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby doculife » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:19 am

Travel with a purpose: Find a volunteer group to help with...Check out Transitions in Travel (is that right?) I know several people who have left recently for Asia. My first real travel experience was with a volunteer group to Central America. I was hooked. There is NOTHING like traveling while working with the locals and making a difference. OR Travel to learn or practice a new skill: The Maine Photography Workshops or travel to Guatemala for two weeks to practice and improve your Spanish with a school..you stay with a local family... TRAVEL IS FREQUENTLY CHEAPER THAN STAYING AT HOME! It's truel and the reason that I leave San Francisco for several months per year. You can put your car insurance on hold for one thing...I rent out my condo in the City, and leave for a developing country. The airfare is the most expensive part...after that, the rest is cheap. I rent an apartment through a local (you can live like a queen or king on $500 - $1000 per month). It simply requires living like a local, or living like a foreigner who actually resides there. It's REAL travel on the cheap. You'll never go back to the pop in pop out hotel stay type travel again!
doculife
New Poster
New Poster

Can't be any cheaper world travel than this ...

Postby Dee46551 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:06 am

I just remembered this guy travel led around the world .......FOR FREE.... Is he an entrepreneur or the world's best freeloader? here's his website info http://www.letmestayforaday.com Ramon Stoppelenburg says .... He left in 2001, with a backpack filled with clothing, a digital camera, a laptop, and a mobile phone...returned home in 2003. Dee
Dee46551
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Cheap Travel - Travel-aholics

Postby Dee46551 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:55 pm

Nudge this for more responses.
Dee46551
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Travel + free + cheap

Postby Dee46551 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:08 pm

I'm still cruising the cheap/free travel topics and found this one if anyone else is interested... FREE TRAVEL !?!?!? http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... free+cheap
Dee46551
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby expatana » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:53 am

Dee, I'm still not finding anything in this link you provided except a repeat of this same thread with the words "travel" and "cheap" highlighted. No other link or source of info. ??? Ana
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jezicka » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:28 pm

1) Bicycle! I was closing in on 40 when I took my 'cross-Europe' bicycle trip. Total funds: less than $100 (and a good chunk of that went to buy a tent my second night on the road.) Total length of time: 2 and 1/2 months. Cost of travel: free. Lodging: the most I spent was $10/night for camping sites. (The 3 or 4 nights I couldn't find a farmer to ask if I could camp on his land, or felt the need of a hot shower.) Most of the time it was provided for free by the experimental and organic farms where I worked. In one case the mayor of the small town where I stopped gave me his guest room for the night-- and arranged for a trucking company to give me a lift to the Dutch border! 2) Hitch a ride on a private yacht. On longer, ocean voyages extra hands are needed for the all-night watches. Somewhere I may still have a list of the best ports and times of years to arrange this-- I remember one was Cabo San Lucas in Baja California, but I can't remember when the best time of year was. (I haven't actually done this, but I met a number of people who had. One of them had a horrific story about drifting off the coast of Nicaragua when the navigation equipment quit and the very amateur captain turned out not to know how to navigate without the aid of electronics-- So this is one where you should either be a good sailor yourself or make sure the rest of the crew is!) 3) Canoe or kayak. Walk. Along with bicycling, any of these low-tech methods are great for distance travel. If you're using equipment you can often get a company to provide it in return for writing about the trip and publicizing their product. Ask farmers, as I did, if you can camp on their property, get a list of organic farmers from WWOOF (Willing Workers on Organic Farms) where you can stay in return for helping on the farm-- or contact small, local newspapers on the way to tell them what you're doing and ask if anyone in the area has a spot where you can camp.
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jezicka » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:19 am

All the above require fairly decent health and no major physical disabilities (although I was in rotten shape when I started my bike trip-- as long as your health is okay, you just start sl-o-w-l-y...)-- however I just recalled one that's been on my list for awhile that doesn't require even normal mobility-- delivering RV's! I bought the book, \"How to Make $50,000 a Year Delivering RV's\" a year or so ago. I still haven't given it more than a quick glance through-- but I intend to look into this one... :wink: Here's the link: http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/00595.htm
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby expatana » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:11 pm

Jezicka, Thanks so much for that link! I rarely buy books because of money worries, but this one's a keeper. I'd be VERY interested in doing this for eight-nine months of the year here in the U.S. (esp. in California where I'm sure there's a healthy market for it). I absolutely ADORE driving the open road!! My friends think I'm crazy for liking driving and not even minding freeways, but I've always been like this. My car is 12 years old and I love it. It's a car, it rides smoothly, it gets me where I'm going. And while driving I can be anything and anyone I want. Now imagine feeling that way in a spanking new RV even though it's not yours. You still get to drive it and if you're full-time, you get to drive another one! I never did think twice about how RV and other "different" vehicles get to their sales destinations. The book also goes into worldwide opportunities. Ana
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Travel

Postby Tyna » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:22 am

I have a friend who loves to travel, so he registered as a travel agent, pays fees for this, but the fees are small compared to the savings he gets from it. Maybe give it a try?
Tyna
New User
New User

Postby Flacker » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:54 pm

Most airlines offer full travel benefits even for part-time employees. Of course, you're still working, but I wouldn't complain about the free flights! :)
Flacker
Flacker
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby expatana » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:09 pm

Flacker wrote:Most airlines offer full travel benefits even for part-time employees. Of course, you're still working, but I wouldn't complain about the free flights! :)
Provided you have the time and money to take the trips. Time, because you're trapped in a job; money, because they'd better offer those benefits because they sure don't offer the salaries. And how do you just "register" as a travel agent? Every travel agent I've ever known had to take training first. Ana
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

home exchanges, travel class, job that makes you travel

Postby wharrington » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:12 am

Have you looked at home exchanges? You trade homes with someone else around the world. http://www.homeexchange.com/ Gina teaches a class on free travel -- cheap travel is a more accurate term. http://www.goglobalinc.com/travel.html I just ordered the DVD of her class, but I haven't had time to watch it. I used to work at a company that sent me to England, Wales and Italy to install software. It was better than free. They paid for my travel and I had time to travel in my free time.
wharrington
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Idea Parties