Self Publishing and Selling Booklets

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Self Publishing and Selling Booklets

Postby Dee46551 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:16 pm

SELF PUBLISHING AND SELLING BOOKLETS I've ploughed through 8 pages of the selling booklets postings elsewhere and decided to make this a separate topic for others. How to get your book published http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... ht=publish HowStuffWorks http://people.howstuffworks.com/self-publishing10.htm During my research.... Did you know that except for …Times New Roman ……………..all other fonts are copyright! Also Clip art is copyright too - it's okay to use for personal use but not for producing booklets. Some publishers charge per image / or per photograph. Need some advice on what to expect from a publisher? Look at this website … … http://www.fastbooks.com.au/publish.html It clearly shows the procedure of printing self published books and although it’s in Australia you get an idea of the process involved. Here’s a summary They offer 3 services with different Production Times 10 days to print from your PDF files … the basic level of service. 15 days for …… basic plus 4 weeks for ………………………………………… a complete service. BASIC price, they do not give page proofs. All your material must be on one disk, in one file for the text, and one file for the cover, in Adobe PDF format. i.e. a fully-formatted and completely ready-to-print disk Remember to embed all fonts when you create your PDF Must give to the publisher a hard-copy printout to accompany the disk Production time to print from your PDF files at this basic level of service. 10 days BASIC PLUS is when you have a Microsoft Word file but can't prepare your own PDF Want them to scan and add photos Need help to finish off your cover design and layout. They supply you page proofs of the text and a cover proof. Production time 15 days COMPLETE SERVICE - design and format your book for you, then provide you with full page proofs (which will include photographs and illustrations) before printing and binding. They accept any type of PC or Mac disk: 3.5\" or 5.25\" and programs including Wordstar, Word, Ami Pro, or WordPerfect. Production time 4 weeks. A fee is charged for ALL meetings/discussions [discussions either in person, talk on the phone, answer your email enquiries, or by post] Aus$385 What to bring (or send in) to a meeting: The typescript, a printed out manuscript or word processed pages on A4 paper, single sided Computer disks and the names of the software you used An idea of what you want your book to look like: style and format. a large-format hardcover a small paperback a \"trade\" paperback a spiral bound ………..take in a sample book or a photocopy of the style you want. Plus a list of questions you want answered. ……… ask for a firm quotation. Check it out – even just to get used to the new technical jargon and procedure. Hope this is helpful for all other ‘self publishers’. Here’s the link for the FAQ’s http://www.fastbooks.com.au/answers.html PS the link http://www.booksandwriters.net.au is obsolete and now replaced by http://wildandwoolley.com.au/ Don't forget to search for the selling booklets postings on the General Discussion site. There's still lots of info there.
Last edited by Dee46551 on Wed May 03, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dee46551
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

slh

Postby slh » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:53 pm

THANKS! VERY HELPFUL.
slh
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby aquabelle » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:11 pm

Barbara Sher's tv presentations and lurking at this board has inspired me to create a project that I hope will produce residual income and market my product more effectively. I have created a 20-page illustrated history of San Francisco commercial fishing boats. This I will be self-published using my own printer plus the services of a copy place to add the binding and laminate the cover. You all gave me the idea with various posts. For about four years my painting has mostly been of local fishing boats--my passion. But I have only ever sold one of these paintings. Still trying to find my potential buyers I think. What I hope is that this little book will go lots of places for me and publicize my paintings at the same time that it teaches some history. I have filled it with small images of my paintings in color to illustrate major points. I have lots of ideas about places to send "review copies" to help with this angle. It might also become a nice souvenir shop item, but I have to think about how much of that kind of business I really want. Mostly I just want to find the people who would want to buy my paintings. Wish me luck! And THANKS! Carol
aquabelle
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Fish stories

Postby Fastalaskan » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:33 pm

Aquabelle, Have you ever thought of selling a portrait to a boat owner? I'm from Alaska and most fisherman are passionate about what they do and love their boats. Since you already know how to create the books, you could also offer a book which showcases the fisherman's story (a book something like what mypublisher.com can create).
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for." -- John Lubbock
Fastalaskan
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

boat portrait

Postby aquabelle » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm

Good idea! In fact I have been offering boat portraits for awhile. No takers yet, but since I don't know any fishermen personally it's hard to link up. I hang around the docks sketching and taking photos--and am always nervous because of the no trespassing signs. I see you are not far away, Fastalaskan. Do you know any fishermen?
aquabelle
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Fastalaskan » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:34 pm

Aquabelle, No, I don't know any fisherman around here. But if you're not absolutely stuck on exclusively SF boats, you might want to try somewhere like e-bay. Are there anyplaces in SF where these guys hang out? You can create a little portfolio and casually work it in to the conversation. Seems like the wives would think it's a great gift idea. Only problem is how to find 'em? Ask around at the docks. If you're really that nervous, I've paid a child to ask questions before. Is there a place to buy mailing lists? One other suggestion I have is to start your own topic so people will see what you need. They may have read this thread before and think it's related to publishing books. Are there fishing supplies stores that may let you create a small display? You may have to negotiate a fee.
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for." -- John Lubbock
Fastalaskan
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Self Publishing ,Booklets, writing etc.

Postby Dee46551 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:05 pm

Are there anymore leads, links, contact addresses people can add to this posting? Thanks Dee :)
Dee46551
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby felicite » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:54 pm

Hi all, Wanted to say Hello (just joined) and provide a couple of suggestions. 1. Free clip art can be found on the web. Disclaimer: Make sure you have pop-up blocker and anti-virus turned on before you go to any of the free clipart sites. This is not an endorsement of any site. (sorry needed to add that - some sites have way too many pop ups). http://www.free-clip-art.com royaltyfreeclipart.com And more if you do a search. 2. Also I have heard Lulu (mentioned in the previous post) is good for on demand printing - that way you don't print more copies than you sell. Good luck.
felicite
New Poster
New Poster

Postby jcjm » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:28 pm

As far as copywrite and clipart/typefaces go it all depends on what you buy. I worked at a printer/publisher for 7 years and while some home versions say for private use, most software for professional use is designed with the intent of being used to make money and is free of copywrite infringements.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby loverofbooks » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:41 am

I self published several how-to books a couple of years ago. I used Morris Publishing to print the books. They were great. Accurate, fast, helpful. But expensive. The quality of the books however, was excellent. http://www.morrispublishing.com
loverofbooks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Publishing books booklets, copyright etc

Postby Dee46551 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:57 pm

Just nudging this for others to look at.....
Dee46551
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Creating Books

Postby catwhisperer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:42 am

Hi, I hope I am allowed to do this here. I am an Independent Consultant for Heritage Makers. Check out my website at http://www.LifeIsAMeStory.com. I can help people create books from 26 to probably about 100 pages to publish their art, their story, journals, reproduce already made scrapbooks or sell them the ability to do it all themselves by uploading pictures, text, journals, etc. OR, I can set up other people doing this as consultants and have home parties or do this one on one with people. These books start at only $39.95 and you can have as many or as few made, if you do a bunch the price would be much less. I was sold when I saw this because I am creating an Altered Book to journal my life, discoveries, inner child healing, and I want to help other people do this. If anyone is interested, let me know. Also, any suggestions with how to promote this better to people.
catwhisperer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Dee46551 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:30 am

Hello Merk, Tituba, Helper Lady I did this ages ago - can it be added to the resources listing pls?
Dee46551
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:07 am

Absolutely! Resource page has been updated. Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention. I want to make the Resource thread useful and this will help!
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Jobs & Income Streams